Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Cougar Buttes

I was asked friday night to lead a group on Crazy 8 and On the Rocks. We had 12 jeeps and only broke two.
    A broken axle and Front track bar. Took a couple of pictures and maybe they will post more. Thanks for a fun day to all that attended.

broken axle

Last edited by curtis; 12-05-10, 11:04 AM.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Curtis,
    I think I posted my photos at the exact same time. Thanks again and send me a PM next time you all head out.
    Kevin

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Looks like fun Curtis, I got to get out there again.[/COLOR]

Comment

Very nice Curtis. They picked a good guide. Might need a guide for a run on the original Bullfrog in a couple weeks.

Mitch

Comment

Looks like a good time! We were hoping to run Crazy 8 but ran out of time.
          USMC F&AM

Comment

Any time Mitch. With all the trail closing there doing in Big Bear JV is going to be the only good place left.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

crazy 8 and otr,s

thanks curtis for taking the lead and showing us around .had a great time .hope we do it again soon .

Comment

looks fun... need to get my XJ out soon...
                [COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
                PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                  With all the trail closing there doing in Big Bear JV is going to be the only good place left.
                  [COLOR="Blue"]I'm still looking for another good 35 canyon. Shouldn't be too long.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                    [COLOR="Blue"]I'm still looking for another good 35 canyon. Shouldn't be too long.[/COLOR]
                    Mike the guys on this trip are looking for just that.
                    There looking for something that won't tear there jeeps up like the Hammers can. One guy has just built a buggy for just the Hammers. They were all runnig 37"
                    Tires.

Comment

Thoughts on BB?

Anyone know why they're closing a lot of BB trails? Every time I'm out, I usually only pass a few vehicles. And, some wknds; I don't see anyone. And, haven't expierenced much trail abuse (lower John Bull - eastern part, had a huge, newly made bypass this past year due to fallen trees) but, haven't seen much more...JV is fun, but is a completely different environ than BB is...

Comment

I keep hearing about this area but have yet to go out there. What are the minimum requirements?

Comment

Originally posted by Pikeman View Post
                          I keep hearing about this area but have yet to go out there. What are the minimum requirements?
                          Purely my recommendations listed below. Use them as a starting point from someone familiar with 80 Series LC's, Land Rover RRC's, Disco's, and LR3's, and a growing familiarity with TJ/LJ's:

• Short overhangs or "wearable" steel bumpers
                          • 33" tires or considerable ground clearance,
                          • Rear locker is of great value, but it has been done without, though the results are somewhat inelegant.
                          • Wheel base is a factor. 100" or less is ideal, but I have seen longer rigs (like 4th gen Taco's) run it, but they drag the rear a lot. 4 door JK's can do most of it just fine, but run into problems on some of the tight turns.

The granite Cougar Buttes rock piles provide phenomenal traction (which tends to break axles), and the topography really maxes out your articulation (which tends to stress linkages, springs, drive shafts, etc..., and the angles you will find yourself in makes it very likely to rub your bumpers, sliders, skids, and quite possibly your sheet metal body on many of the rocks out there. In short, it's an absolute blast!

Here are some "ambiance" shots:

Here is a short (30 second) video of a nicely built 2 door JK on 37's dragging it's but on a sharp departure angle. A VERY typical portion of the area. It could have been done smoother and slower, but....
                          http://nwoods.smugmug.com/Jeep-Adven...178_nR4hr-A-LB
                          Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Ok, I am on 33" equiv. tires with a rear locker, sliders and front and rear bumpers. Still no skids. At 105" wheel base just need to go out with some XJ's or LJ's to see possible lines to take. I always have spare CV's and tools.

Good report and maybe I can make the trip out next time.

Comment

Built up FJ's run these trails fairly often, and seem to do okay. You're 98 4Runner is probably even more nimble. I think you'll be fine, though you will definitely rub some fresh love on various steel ends here and there
                              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Working...
                              X