Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Panamint Mts - Death Valley Tour

[COLOR="Blue"]The day after Thanksgiving we decided to take a trip through the Panamint Mt's and on into Southern Death Valley to explore some of the turn of the century mining camps.

We started at Balarat then headed up South Park Cyn to Pleasent Cyn. From there we went over Wild Rose road to Augerbary camp then down into DV.

From there we headed up Echo canyon to the Inyo mine site then home from there.

Temps were definatly COLD. It was 18 when we left home and it warmed up to 24 by the time we got to Balarat.

We planned on camping, but when we got to the WorldBeater cabin and saw the wood stove....it was so hot in the cabin our sleeping bags began to melt...O yeah.

Furnace Creek was a whopping 50 degrees at noon. These are some really cool mining camps to visit, not to mention some really nice mines to explore as well.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="blue"]Slideshow 1[/COLOR]
    http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

[COLOR="blue"]Slideshow 2[/COLOR]

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

Balarat

South Park Cyn

Briggs Camp

Chicken Corners

South Park

Our Cabin camp site

World Beater Mine

Upper mine tunnel

Nice stove

Clair Camp

Augerbary Camp

Echo Cyn

The Inyo mine

Echo Cyn
    Last edited by mkjeepers; 11-30-10, 11:18 PM.

Great pictures Mike.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Mike,

Great pictures! Amazing that the World Beater cabin was empty on the holiday weekend. Looks clean and warm. Thanks for sharing. I have to go back this spring.

Comment

Great pictures Mike. I bet it was nice staying in that warm cabin. It's really cold in DV right now.
        Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
          Great pictures Mike. I bet it was nice staying in that warm cabin. It's really cold in DV right now.
          [COLOR="Blue"]It was cold, 24 degrees at night at the cabin, but with the stove going we were on top of the sleeping bags. I was surprised that all of the cabins were un-ocupied, with only a handfull of vehicles up there.[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for the awesome pics Mkjeepers. Funny question ,do you have to check with someone in advance to staying in these cabins? Also those old cars made the rode trip back there or maybe some other way back less rocks just a dirt rode.

Comment

little shack in BB

Has anyone stayed in the little shack on the trail that connects Onyx Summit to Juniper Springs GroupCamp? I just found it 6 or 7 weeks ago...

Comment

Originally posted by InlandZJ View Post
                Thanks for the awesome pics Mkjeepers. Funny question ,do you have to check with someone in advance to staying in these cabins? Also those old cars made the rode trip back there or maybe some other way back less rocks just a dirt rode.
                [COLOR="Blue"]The cabins are adopted by the Death Valley NP and maintained by volunteers. They can be used by anyone on a first come first serve basis. Some of the cabins are in top condition and make a nice get-away destination. They ask that you leave the cabins in as good or better condition than when you got there.

The roads back into the Panamint mine areas usually wash out every year and are restored by 4x clubs the NP and miners that are still working the claims. Recently the miners have graded the road up Pleasent Cyn and drive their trucks back there. I'm sure at certain times you could get a Ford Fairlane all the way back to South Park.

The South Park loop can be done in a stock FJ, Tacoma or Jeep easy enough - at this time - most of the loop is 2 wd. If you start by going up Pleasent canyon then down South Park you could pretty much do the whole thing in 2wd. [/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for the info. Pretty neat that anyone could tour back and just camp out in the cabins,just clean as you go thing. Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by InlandZJ View Post
                    Thanks for the info. Pretty neat that anyone could tour back and just camp out in the cabins,just clean as you go thing. Sweet!
                    These are on BLM, there others in DVNP.

Comment

Here is a good report from Pirate on a hike up to Panamint City:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=936298

That canyon was an awesome experience in a 4 wheel. After my first trip up using my slllooowww Ramsey 8000, I traded it in on my Warn HS9500. Trying to drive up a steep waterfall with a wimpy winch is no fun.
                      Rich

Comment

Rich - I think the route to Panamint City has been closed for quite some time. I've heard other stories about the challenge up the Surprize Cyn. trail to Paniment City.

Mike - Good report! Up to your usual high standards! I wish we had stayed in a cabin last weekend also! It was COLD in the mornings.
                        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                        MJR moderator
                        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                          Rich - I think the route to Panamint City has been closed for quite some time. I've heard other stories about the challenge up the Surprize Cyn. trail to Paniment City.

Mike - Good report! Up to your usual high standards! I wish we had stayed in a cabin last weekend also! It was COLD in the mornings.
                          Roger, I am pretty up on Surprise Canyon...a group of us purchased some land up there to try and fight for access.
                          Rich

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]The road is currently closed to vehicle travel, but it looks like a worth while hike.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                              After my first trip up using my slllooowww Ramsey 8000, I traded it in on my Warn HS9500.
                              An HS 9500....perhaps one of the finest winches Warn has ever made! Though I would trade my current Warn to have had a chance to run Surprise Canyon while it was open.
                              Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Working...
                              X