Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Cuatro Amigo Mine

I had seen a video of a mine on you tube one day recently and made a quest to find it. After a few nights searching Google Earth, Topo's, and talking to a few people I fiqured out where it was!

So I met Roger this moring in Lucerne after driving in a light rain for the first 10 miles. At least I put my full doors on. We left Lucerne and headed to Camp Rock Road to air down and then off to Anderson Dry Lake. Next we headed east to hunt for the Cuatro Amingo Mine.

Small wash ended up with a few nice rocky spots.

Always a good sign. An old gate to keep others away from your mine!

And there it is! This area must have been occupied for several years. Great exploring with a cool can dump, old equipment, an old outhouse, and an awesome mine tunnel. Rather untouched considering it sits next to a motorcycle race course. The Tunnel goes in curving around for about 200 feet then splits and the left side goes in another 100 feet.

After hanging out exploring for a couple of hours we decided to hit Cougar Buttes for a little fun

This is a little squeeze that I've wanted to try. Did some scraping and thought I might lay it over after thinking I was going to get struck, but Roger did a good spoting job and I kept 3 wheels on the ground.

Then a quickie run on Box Canyon

We dodged rain all day. This downpour was a quarter mile away and never got me on the way home!

Rabbit Spring in Lucerne

A beautiful day in the desert! Thanks Roger for putting up with the wandering around. But we did find it!
    Last edited by Mitch; 11-20-10, 05:58 PM.

Another good day for you guys. And a really nice find. It rained all day in Yucaipa. Monday will be my day to explore.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Some Video from the trip.

Cuatro Amigo Mine

Roger on Box Canyon

Last edited by Mitch; 11-20-10, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Great day hangin' with you Mitch. It's nice to locate something on the topo map and then go find it.
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Looks great! Question for the YJ, where did you get the D30(sort of doesn't look like a D30) skid?

And is that a high steer setup? What brand? Any issues at high speed?

Rob.

Comment

Amazing you guys dodged the rain all day. I was up in BB today and it was pooring all the way up and back home. Exploring and researching these places seem neat. Very cool guys.

Comment

Rob,

The front slider is a "Rock-It" Differential Glider. It works great and is $99.99 from Quadratec. Their part # 12523.201

The Tie Rod / Steering set up was made for me by my mechanic Ken in Hesperia (www.thejeepguyonline.com). It has worked perfect and driving on the street is fine (No sway bar/No track bar).

Comment

Oh yea, the JGO, he is going to be setting up my 8.8 when I get around to buying one and the parts. I'll have to ask about the price of that setup!

Thanks!

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]looks like a great mine to explore Mitch, I'll have to check it out. I checked out a couple on friday in the same area. Maybe we'll have to do another mine adventure, I'm sure I can add some difficult routes LOL.

These 3 were just south of where you were, do you remember the names of them.[/COLOR]

Last edited by mkjeepers; 11-20-10, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Mike,

I've been in the two with the timbers but I don't recognize the hard rock mine with the split. I guess I have to go out again! And again, and again..... Never did get a name for those 2.

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Mitch do you have any info on the Amigos mine? It looks like it was used till the 1950's or so.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                        Mike,

I've been in the two with the timbers but I don't recognize the hard rock mine with the split. I guess I have to go out again! And again, and again..... Never did get a name for those 2.
                        [COLOR="Blue"]The one with the cement slab was the Green Rock mine - date on the slab is 1976. Not much there, but there is a nice 4x road from there over to the other 2 mines.[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

I know where the Green Rock Mine is, Just haven't been there. I thought it was just surface mining for decorative rock. We were going to head there, but Box Canyon was calling.

Inside the mine was several names and dates but nothing before 1955. A few others from the late 50's and up to the mid 60's. Can't find anything else yet but still looking.

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Mitch here is the tunnel to the Emerson mine we were talking about. These pix are about 10 yrs old.[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the info. Several others have been there but missed the tunnel. I'll be there very soon. Boy it looks like your brother is a lot younger than you. Hmmmm

Comment

Working...
                              X