Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: Hump & Bump, Logandale, NV

Finally went to Hump & Bump this year. It was GREAT! What a cool place. MJR had a nice little group show up and we all ran trails together both days.
    We had Gerald from Savvy Products, Rick Soto and his daughter Jay C, Cliff, Mike and Sharon and me. Oh yeah, and Ozzman.
    We got there near midnight Thursday and we were met by two very cool but very tired girls who showed us where to camp and park. We went to bed and woke up to a killer day

We ran over the Rock Bottom for our first trail. This trail runs through red rock canyons and sand washes. There are numerous tough obstacles; v-notches, waterfalls, off camber climbs and steep drop offs. Ther is also the Shedder Bowl, a nice little buggy play ground. I shot only a few pics this day, I did mostly video which will be editied today. I know Mike and Sharon had the camera going all day though.

The line up: 30 + rigs

Red Rocks everywhere. It is like a mini-Moab only 5 hours away!

Cont...
    Last edited by RAT; 11-08-10, 07:52 AM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

End of day 1 they had a car smashing derby. It was a blast! I couldn't beleive more people didn't ant to try it until this guy is a Chevy truck got hung up on the pile and broke a drive shaft, possibly a front axle or ujoint and cut a tire. It took a Mog, two big old brute trucks and a Jeep to get him off the pile.

I had to do it. Jay C and I hopped in and hit ramming speed

I got hung up on the B pillar of a F150 truck (freaking embarrassing). It was a brutal crowd too After they roped me back off I went at it again

Sorry, the photographer had a few too many 6 finger drinks

But we made over with no damage. Cliff shot a cool vid I hope he can put up here.

After that it was back to camp for more drinks and kickin around the fire.
    cont...
    Last edited by RAT; 11-08-10, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Sorry it's still early. On day one we also did Bronco Falls. Right before we got there a rig took a spill all the way from the top of the falls. The driver is alright but the rig took a beating. This is a very cool climb. I guess it's 30-40 high and very steep.

When you get to the top of the first climb there is another, straight up in front of you that goes up another 20 feet or so. That is where the rig fell off, and from what we hear he went all the way down.

cont...

Comment

Looks like ya,ll had a blast ! Thanks Kurt for the report and the pictures.....
        "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Just random shots of the whole weekend.

Materhorn and the "Launchpad"

Mr. Green in the "S" turn

Plenty of spectacular scenery to photograph

The winter skies in Nevada are off the chart

What?

Mike,
          The JEEP does the climbing...

Hey Mitch! Check it out man..

For those of you that have been to Boulder, CO this formation resembles the Flatirons. It runs at least a half mile North East from this spot.

Cont...

Comment

This is the "flatiron" formation from a half mile away

this canyon is way cool. There is camping in here and this is where we will camp next year.

Some cool paint on some of the rigs

The line up for day 2. Again, over 30 rigs.

My Dirtman impersonation

Jay C made it look so easy I had to give the spectators a show ~

After the event Mike and Sharon and I went through Valley of Fire State Park. Not dissapointed in the least.

Sign should read "Don't feed the beast".

It's a long way down

Petroglyphs at Atlatl rock

Comment

Let's do this again next year! With more MJR folks!

Comment

Great pic Kurt. I'm really liking the colors in your shots. Sorry we missed it.
                Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                  Great pic Kurt. I'm really liking the colors in your shots. Sorry we missed it.
                  Thanks. Wish you would have come but understand. I was torn about going to H&B but glad I did.
                  The light up there is awsome and I only post editied two pics to get rid of vinette. All the colors are as they were, popping off the landscape.

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Very cool trip and event Kurt! Nice write up. Makes me wish I could get out and do these things.[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Wow, unbelievable photography! Looks like you guy's had it all, great wheeling, scenery and weather. Now I wish we could have made it.

Comment

Originally posted by Double AA View Post
                        Wow, unbelievable photography! Looks like you guy's had it all, great wheeling, scenery and weather. Now I wish we could have made it.

Yes you missed a great event. You have to go next year. Hell, even the aliens came from the Moons of Meepzorp to check it out!

Comment

I posted my pics on the Event thread but it is easy enough to copy them into this one instead.

Humpin' and Bumpin' is a good time isn't it? I had a great time.
                          Sharon captured a ton of video. I'll see if I can turn that into a YouTube video soon.

DAY 1

Friday was the first day and we headed to Rock Bottom for our first run. The trail has a killer first obstacle:

There are lots of great technical stuff on the trail. At one point, there are four options to play on. Rat Patrol chose a line with some serious pucker factor:

Near the end of the trail is a tight, steep turn and drop:

We were near the front of about 33 vehicles and the Vegas Valley Event Staff did a great job of leading us through. Even so, there was some delay behind us, and the rest of the group was still catching up by the time that we made it to the end. I decided that since we had a little time, that I wanted to try a side obstacle that I saw last year. It is a near straight up waterfall about 5 feet high. I tried several times and Gerald was a great spotter but I didn't make it up:

This was my closest attempt:

Rat Patrol, on the other hand, walked up it like it was a speed bump:

The guides then took Kurt over to another side trail and let him play a little:

After everyone caught up, we had lunch at the Sand Dunes and then went to the Bronco Falls Trail. The main obstacle is a really long slickrock climb:

Unfortunately, and earlier in the day, one Jeep rolled over backwards near the top of this obstacle on an extra credit line. He wasn't hurt and he was lucky not to have rolled all the way down.

Afterwards, we all gathered at the Shedder and took a quick self portrait with a few of us:

Then we headed down into the Shedder Bowl to play:

After playing a while, CVD, Rat Patrol and I headed back to the Rock Bottom Trail to run the other option that the morning run didn't take: The V-Notch. At the gatekeeper for Rock Bottom, CVD (Cliff) hit a line that should give him a new avatar:

When we got to the V-Notch, Cliff really nailed the line. He made the notch look easy:

That night the event held a Car Crawl. What's a car crawl you ask? Well I asked too, but the best way to understand is with pics:

After a couple of the giant-sized rigs softened up the terrain, it was opened to anyone to play. Kurt signed his waiver and attacked the obstacle:

He got hung up and had to be towed back off, but his second attempt rocked the house and the crowd went wild!:

The big vehicle poser shot at the end of the event had a slight, unexpected surprise :

It was a great day. I'll post up my pics from Saturday soon.
                          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

It was really fun hanging with the MJR crew at this event and making some new acquaintances. MJR made a nice showing. Next year, I think that I would like to set up in the red rock camping areas that we saw. It would be awesome if we could get an MJR camp in the canyons somewhere.

As promised, here are the Saturday Pics...

DAY 2

Saturday morning my friend Jake joined us after visiting the SEMA show on Friday. We all signed up for The Bowl / Matterhorn / Hawkins Trail run. There were 37 (!) vehicles on this run and it was planned to be a long run. I had my doubts when I saw the massive line that we had. This pic is from my Jeep back and we were number 13 in line at this point:

The trail run wasn't rated as very technical. We drove through some stunning terrain for quite a while before getting to the first obstacle:

Even so, it was a long drive to get to the actual Bowl Trail. Pretty much, all of the obstacles on The Bowl trail are optional. Most of the crew on our run was willing to try them all. What I love is that Ozzie (Kurt's Dog) didn't even seem to notice that there were any obstacles if you notice his demeanor in this pic:

Near the end of The Bowl trail there is an obstacle called the S-Turn. Only 6 out of the 37 on the run were willing to try this obstacle and all of them except one are on MJR. Gerald (Provelogear) went first and without a trained spotter. He had some spectacular lines:

After Gerald worked his way through, the trained spotter from the Vegas Valley crew made his way up to us.

Ricky, a friend of Gerald's (from Texas but now living in Vegas), went next:

Rick's (New2image) daughter, Jay C, was the third person to tackle the obstacle and did a spectacular job of it:

Rat Patrol was next and he picked a line that sent his rear passenger tire about 4 or 5 feet into the air:

The line worked well, but it wasn't long before he did the same trick with the front passenger tire:

After he made it through, it was now my turn:

I discovered that if you turn off your lockers after the initial climb into the obstacle, it goes much easier:

When the last Jeep made it through the S-Turn, we headed to the Matterhorn Trail. The trail is rather mild overall, but the Matterhorn climb is the highlight of the trail:

Rat got some air on the climb but not too bad overall. Being on the wrong line can put your Jeep in a nasty spot:

My friend Jake hit the right line and made it look easy:

Once we got back to the event site, we had dinner and headed over for the raffle. As we were listening for our names to be called, Sharon captured this cute photo of a Boy and his Dog:

But apparently the love only goes so far!:

As Kurt has already posted, he and I won nice prizes at the raffle. The folks at the event were a lot of fun and the social event after the raffle lasted for a while.

Sunday morning we headed home. Kurt and I took the scenic route through the Valley of Fire State Park to get to the freeway:

We stopped at the petroglyphs:

And saw Arch Rock and the Scenic Loop before heading for home:

On the way south, there was a snow cap on Telescope Peak in the Death Valley NP. Looks like winter may be coming eary this year:

This was a great event in some amazing terrain! I am really looking forward to next year's event. Thanks to the Vegas Valley Four Wheelers for making this happen!

My wife and I took LOTS of pics. A small collection can be seen at this link:
                            http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...010/?start=all

I'll try to post up some video soon.
                            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                            [/COLOR]

Comment

I made it to MJR!!! Weekend was a blast I only wish I could have made it on Friday too. It was great to meet you guys. I lucked out and ended up right in the middle of an awesome group of people.

Ricky (from TX now Vegas)

Comment

Working...
                              X