Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Jeep California

Anyone contemplating going to this first ever Camp Jeep California?

I've never been to a Camp Jeep before, bu it looks like a giant picnic, Daimler Chrysler exhibit at LA auto show, ESPN2 extreme sports showcase, and daycare all wrapped in one big package!

It will be interesting to see the 2005 Grand Cherokee (WK=WJ Killed) with IFS and see what it can do.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

I'm considering attending. I like the invitation that came in the mail.
    *Pebbles* 02 Sport Canyon Package
    Rockers by JCFabAndDesign.com/XM Commander
    Jeep Owner since '96 87YJ

Comment

That invitation was THE BOMB!!!
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I was set up to be on the event staff last year and then they canceled. They were even going to pay me and give small amount of $$ for food and lodging. I should have known it was to good to be true. They may be looking for staff and guides again this year. I do not think I have the contact information any longer.
        456's 2 lockers 4 disc brakes 8.8 lots of skid plates

Comment

Ill be there. Did the invitation include a cd?
          2003 gold , 1" coil spacer, body lift, motor lift, CBrack, JKS disconnects, grill/brush guard, winch, oil pan skid, gas tank skid, storage drawer, on board air, 33" tires.

Comment

Originally posted by j762538
            Ill be there. Did the invitation include a cd?
            The final registration package included a DVD with film clips from last year's event. They also had a camp jeep window flag.

Comment

so how was this event, anybody?

Comment

Lots of jeeps (they expected about 1,000). Great weather, lots of freebies (including a Friday lunch), got a chance to drive the new 2005 Grand, Rubicon, and a 4x4 golf cart.

DC and other sponsors spent a ton of money on this event. There were a lot of things to see and do.

A wide range of trail rides from easy to advanced. Drivers and vehicles ranged from novice bone stock to fully built trailer queens.

We took the "B" Advanced trail

It had a few tough spots and a couple of vehicles suffered sever damage that require a tow out. It was rather amazing to see that the majority of vehicles ranging from a Grand with stock road tires to a fully built Unlimited with Dynatrac Dana 60 on 37" Krawlers traverse the same terrain with comparable ease.
                Last edited by cc2; 08-27-04, 06:55 AM.

Comment

sounds like fun, did you participate in any of the other sports offered like kayaking? would you go again, was it worth the loot?
                  sarah

Comment

The kayaking event was a considerable distance away from the main event so we passed on that one. We did take advantage of the free scuba lessons.

The price was worth it. Pre registration was around $250 per vehicle and I feel that we certainly got that much value from the event. They handed out goodie bags with a blanket, water bottle, measuring tape, and few other nik naks. Many of the booths were handing out stuff like water guns, water bottles, frisbees, flashlights, lunch boxes, CDs, magazines, and so forth. On Friday, they gave out $5 meal and free drink vouchers to everyone. It is a lot cheaper than most of the Jeep Jamborees and there was a lot of activities and things to see and do. You did not need 3 days though.

Hotels in the area were not cheap. Most of them went up to $100+ on Friday and Saturday(there was no camping at Camp Jeep). We just stayed one night and a couple of days -- skipped Saturday.

The trail rides were o.k. but we got hung up for well over an hour due to a couple of breakdowns.

It was fun just to see what it was all about. I probably will not do it again next year.

Comment

You couldn't CAMP at Camp Jeep? That's insane! Did you attend any of the roundtables? It sounds like it'd be worth going to see, maybe. Free scuba lessions sounds fun ... Did any bands play, and how "late" did the event go each night? (Sorry for so many questions! LOL)

It says your photo album expired ... if you send me your pics I can post them for you.

Comment

I think it was a great family event. They had places you could make wire art, cards, picture frames, kids could drive toy jeeps, skateboard, mt bike, see moto X, learn to play guitar, climb ropes and rocks, learn cooking and planting, watch films and play video games, see historic vehicles, see aftermarket products, drive new vehicles and there were about 12 bands (including Los Lobos and Live) too. I got so much free stuff! I dont think there were a lot of people (I heard 576 vehicles) and hope they have it next year but in a different place so there are different runs. It didnt run too late, mabe 7pm. I did everything but a run on Wednesday, a run on Thursday (short but twisty) and skipped Saturday too. Kyaking (30 minutes away on the caost) required signup prior to the event and it was full 2 days after I got my mailer. Early registration was $275, I think +60 for later. I RVed in Buellton, about 15 minutes away, for about $30 a night.
                        2003 gold , 1" coil spacer, body lift, motor lift, CBrack, JKS disconnects, grill/brush guard, winch, oil pan skid, gas tank skid, storage drawer, on board air, 33" tires.

Comment

Camp Jeep California

The event was great. The trails had sections that were like parts here in So Cal near Truckhaven (where Tierra del Sol is held annually) and Ocotillo Wells. Quite a mix from stockers to hard core rigs and even some Jeep history on the trails. I saw CJ's, YJ's, TJ's, XJ's, ZJ's, WJ's of all varieties, one person brought a restored GPW and ran it on the trails, another trail guide had a real sweet Willy's wagon, yet another guide had a AMC Jeep Commando, etc... We had some rigs from Dynatrac, Currie, JP Off-Road, and others I know I am forgetting. Here are some photos I took (sorry only a few) and some others from one month prior when all us trail guides had to go to learn the trails we would be taking the rest on. Over at the Camp Jeep village they had all kinds of stuff for the family. The main music group for the Friday concert was Los Lobos and they were great as usual, but not to forget all the other musicians that were there for Sirius Satellite radio also. Looking forward to next year! Well without further babbling here you go.

Here's a link to more photos.
                          http://www.fototime.com/inv/F94668BA61EA6DE

Here's a link to the Pre-Run photos.
                          http://www.fototime.com/inv/943FDA93F72AE2D

And here's some others photo links.
                          http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=179ruq1...x&x=0&y=wgmv18

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jsp500...=/ad0d&.src=ph

http://bus.sdsu.edu/it/camp_jeep_videos.htm

http://p087.ezboard.com/fkjjeepfrm1....cID=2868.topic
                          88 XJ Wagoneer/06 Frontier NISMO KC
                          "Got Groceries ?"

Comment

Another photo link.

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=19houts...&x=0&y=-gyzxz1
                            88 XJ Wagoneer/06 Frontier NISMO KC
                            "Got Groceries ?"

Comment

Cool pics! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                              X