Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Burro Schmidt Tunnel

I would like to go see this sometime. But I've never been in the area and don't want to get hopelessly lost somewhere West of randsburg and end up as Buzzard bait.

Anybody been there want to lead this run?

I'm good to go on any weekend except Nov 20th this year.

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
    I would like to go see this sometime. But I've never been in the area and don't want to get hopelessly lost somewhere West of randsburg and end up as Buzzard bait.

Anybody been there want to lead this run?

I'm good to go on any weekend except Nov 20th this year.
    Hey there, we have a run heading out to Red Rock the weekend of Nov 12-14. There is LOTS to see and do out there. Should be a nice small group which aids in exploring. Feel free to check us out.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

Chris let me know what date you decide on. My brother and I went there last year. We cruised around the area some and walked through the tunnel. There was signs along the trail directing you to the tunnel.

The stuff I read online made it sound like it was a difficult trail to the tunnel, it was actually a very easy trail.
      Last edited by Gary; 10-29-10, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I probably won't be able to do this one until in between Christmas/New years break. Decided to go to Calico for Thanksgiving again this year.

Comment

Here is a good article on Burro Schmidt Tunnel & Last Chance Canyon. I cut this out of ORA magazine many years ago & it prompted me to explore the area & the tunnel. Luckily it was still archived on their site There are many roads to get to the tunnel. There are two running N/S off Randsburg-Red Rock Road & others off Hwy 14. Last Chance Canyon is off Randsburg Road.

http://www.oramagazine.com/pastissue...st-chance.html

Would love to do this run as a day trip or camping but cant till early December. PM me if you want another article I have as a PDF I was not able to upload here.

Comment

Heading out there today with 8 or so rigs. El Paso mountains are a very fun place to explore, lot of mining history and some really great trails. Check it out, youll love it.
            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by rurockin View Post
              Here is a good article on Burro Schmidt Tunnel & Last Chance Canyon. I cut this out of ORA magazine many years ago & it prompted me to explore the area & the tunnel. Luckily it was still archived on their site There are many roads to get to the tunnel. There are two running N/S off Randsburg-Red Rock Road & others off Hwy 14. Last Chance Canyon is off Randsburg Road.

http://www.oramagazine.com/pastissue...st-chance.html

Would love to do this run as a day trip or camping but cant till early December. PM me if you want another article I have as a PDF I was not able to upload here.
              When I was out there last year the cabins right near the tunnel were in pretty bad shape. I guess the lady that lived there died. With no one living there vandals and thieves have really messed it up. Didn't look anything like the pic's in that article. Still worth the trip though.

Also when i was there my Brother and I were a little worried about leaving the Jeep unattended while we explored the tunnel. There was several locals dirt bag types hanging around. Lock everything up tight.

Comment

Working...
              X