Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charouleau Gap

Since the heat was setting in, a few of us AZ guys decided to head to a little higher elevation in search of some cooler air.

Unfortunately, we didn't find any. We did find a few rocks and some water to play in, so I guess it was OK. In attendance there was 1 YJ on 35's, one TJ on 33's (drewtj), one 4-runner, and myself. We got off to a decent start, although a few minutes late. The first 1/2 of the trail (running south to north) was uneventful, with only a couple of obsticals to play on, including a "dump bump" type of climb. Everyone made it up OK, except for Steve (tj on 33's). He tried a longer and steeper line than the rest of us, and got himself into a position where he was at a good risk of flopping his jeep, so rather than push it, we hooked up a strap and gave him a tug. A few miles down the trail, when we finally got to the water, the 4-runner decided to take the bypass on a small rock pile. Probably a good call due to his low break over angle. Unfortunately, he got stuck on the bypass....in the middle of the river. As we hooked up the towstraps, we informed him that since he got stuck on the bypass, we were gonna have to laugh at him, even if it was only for a minute or two (ha-ha). A little hi-lift action and a tug from a jeep, he was back underway. Of course we ended up throwing a rock or three under my tires to get me over the obstical that he was bypassing.....

After a stop for lunch at the cabin, we went on down to the river again, and picked our way through it. Of course, we had to have one more stuck for the day....the 4-runner again. This time we hooked the winch to him and pulled him back off the rocks he was on, and 5 minutes later we were all back under way. On to "the step" (at least, I think this is the obstical that every one calls "the step"). All 3 jeeps tried, none made it. While winching DrewTJ's jeep up it, he broke a large chunk of the rock off the top edge, and I think he will be able to make it up next time under his own power.

The rest of the trail was uneventful, and we were done about 6 hours after we started. No broken vehicles, no body damage. Just a good, clean run. Of course, I never take many pics, but here are a few teasers.

olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Cool pics man. Nice day, nice scenery.
    “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
    -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Working...
    X