Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: We now know Jack and Outerlimits

Fred and me joined Andrew, Kurt and Chuck with his family and Hundy for a little fun run in Johnson valley.
    No I did not bring my little Jeep since this trip would have turned it into a smoking twisted mess.
    Carnage for the day Hundy never made it on the trail broken driveshaft and damaged transfercase, other than that a few dents, a broken winch cable, bend tierod and steering ram as well as a transfercase skid that bit the dust. Jackhammer was a load of fun, definitely a bit more involved than Sledgehammer. Once that trail was done we roamed through the desert till we came to Outerlimits, man that trail rocks, really those boulders and waterfalls are gnarly . Chucky had a field day getting some pretty good air, told ya but just a matter of time before the comfort zone expanded some.
    All in all a great day with friends, just rocking all day long, by the way Andrew you make this stuff look way to easy lol

Link to pics

http://public.fotki.com/aw12345/jackhammer-and-oute/

Looks like a lot fun. My little Jeep won't be playing out there ever. Interesting thing with the winch line, I was just about ready to switch to synthetic......Hmmm

Mitch

Comment

AAArrggh! The SAMSTER finally broke! The bolts that connect the frt shaft to the transfer case either broke or fell out, and the ds wedged and cracked the case.

I really wanted to run with you guys! Sounds like a great day-- thx for the pics--

I am loading up right now-- bringing the Jeep and RZR back out there to camp for a few days-

See ya in a little while!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call me if anyone needs me to bring them something out there- 760 964 5123

Comment

Looks like another fun day. One of these days I going to make it out there.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
          Looks like a lot fun. My little Jeep won't be playing out there ever. Interesting thing with the winch line, I was just about ready to switch to synthetic......Hmmm

Mitch
          I wouldn't let a broken synthetic cable prevent you from buying one. It can be repaired, and it is 99% chance it was user error that caused the break. If it were a steel cable, it likely would have frayed under the same circumstances and also been deemed useless.

Outside of that, it looks like a hell of a good time. You guys choose some strange lines though
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

this was not user error , its called wedging a rear diff into a rock the size of a small buggy and thinking a 9000 lbs. winch can pull it threw it LOL .....great time ~!!!!

Comment

Mitch all there is to say is, that Chucky was stuck in a bad way. Here is the good thing synthetic winch kine just fell to the ground, no whipping of the cable at all. Steel cable is notorious for whipping and can do lethal damage, both are field repairable, we used the dame winch later on just knotted the hook back on for the time being, I am sure it will be properly spliced before the end of next week. The only negative of a synthetic winch line is that it has a bad habit of getting bound up on the drum.

Comment

Originally posted by bullysteve View Post
                this was not user error , its called wedging a rear diff into a rock the size of a small buggy and thinking a 9000 lbs. winch can pull it threw it LOL .....great time ~!!!!
                What is the diameter of that winch rope? Is it 3/8"
                had it been abraded?
                I find this strange-

That line should have held up to a hell of a lot more than the 9000 pounds that winch could put on it unless it was abraded, rubbing a rock or rubbing on a fairlead.

Either way, I'm glad no one was hurt and a fun time was had. I'm way over due for playing in the rocks.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Chuck uses his winch a lot for trail work he does, the rope was in good shape, those Superwinches do pull hard though, seen that thing in action dragging big rocks quite a few times. By the way from what I remember the rope was less than a few months old

Comment

Steve, what all did you do to fix your rig after the problems at FITD? Were you happy on the trails?
                    Rich

Comment

ha rich , it wheels great now we added front and rear panhard bars and new heims threw out and figured out how the gears work .....when you heading out again ??

Comment

You gentlemen are all out of control!!!!

Great pics, I'm enjoying them from afar.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

This was definitely a good weekend at JV. Even with the D37 event going on the lake bed was wide open. We were one of only a few jeep/buggy groups out there, with the exception of a few Samis that had to be hauled of the V-notch at the entrance to Jack. Everyone did well. I hadn't been on Outer Limits for over two years so it was just like running it for the first time again. It's really changed and is pretty brutal in places. We had the trails to ourselves all day. Weather was great, company awsome and the drinks was a-flowin... at camp after the driving was done. Food was good too. Shari, you make a stupid good pastrami sandwich. It tasted soooo good up there on OL.
                          Thanks everyone. Can't wait to do it again. I have a short video but have to wait for my upgrade patch to finish downloading for my vid editing software.
                          Last edited by RAT; 10-10-10, 04:04 PM.
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Dang, it looks like I missed out on some great fun! I'm sure that Aleshia got some pics as well. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
                            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                            [/COLOR]

Comment

WOW! Someday I will join you on one of these fire roads. But that's a few $$$ away.

Thanx 4 sharing.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X