Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Lucerne Valley Stuff

I went out today with Roger for a local putt putt. We checked out 4 mines, a cool arrastre, and drove part of the old wagon trail that lead from Blackhawk to Victorville and never got more than 3 miles from Rogers house. 80 degrees and an awesome cloudless blue sky. I had not found the El Sueno arrastre before but Roger had so he led the way around pistashio trees and sandy washes to the spot. We got in a nice mile hike and checked out 2 old mines in the area and the arrastre.

As we left that spot I noticed a few Turkey Vultures circling overhead. Then Roger noticed 30 more, then as we watched hundreds more flew overhead. At one point we must have saw 1000 birds flying. This went on for 10 minutes. Really amazing!

Video

Next we drove around for a bit and hiked to another spot that had mine tunnels on both sides of a neat sandy wash. One went in a ways and then split at a "Y".

On the way back to Rogers jouse we followed the old wagon trail that actually crosses thru his property.

A nice easy explore that only took a couple of hours.

Thanks Roger for a nice day.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 10-10-10, 07:34 AM.

Mitch you get out more then anybody I know...thanks for another great report
    Head nut at Outdoorlogic
    Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
    www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Vultures

Friday evening we had a group that was probably a hundred strong go over our house. They were only a few hundred feet up and while Amber thought they were beautiful she was worried about getting pooped on. LOL.

Nice pics. Looks like another nice day out.

-R

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyrig View Post
        Mitch you get out more then anybody I know...thanks for another great report
        My thoughts exactly.

nice pix Mitch,
        Scott

Comment

Thanks guys. It is cool living so close to so many fun Jeeping places. There again, you guys probably have responsibilities and things like that!

Mitch

Comment

It's alway a pleasure hangin' with Mitch.

I was kinda bummed because I was intvited to go on a all day Jeep run in the mountians, but I had to turn it down because of a prior commitment for Saturday afternoon & evening. So when Mitch called, well I was ready to go, even if just for a few hours!!

Last year I was poking around the hills Mitch and I were in yesterday looking for gold in a few sandy washes. I didn't find any gold that day but I did find I nice garnet!.
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

I need to spend some time in the desert with you guys. You know all the best spots
              Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Cool birds, cool caves and mines, nice day to be out., Great report. Thanks for the pics.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                  I need to spend some time in the desert with you guys. You know all the best spots
                  Doug,

Anytime! Just let us know when you want to come out here! I'm getting ready to post my annual "Honor the Veterans Veteran's Day run". Maybe that could work out for you.
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Doug just make the call. That trip put the mine tunnels explored number over 80. So much to see out there. Anyone wanting to explore that area just PM.

Mitch

Comment

Great pics Mitch. I really need to get out with you guys.
                      Check out .

Comment

Chuck,

After running "Hammer Trails" on 2 wheels, you would be so bored just exploring the desert and the mines. Although we do miss you Maybe it is "Crack" time? Hmmm....

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                        X