Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Gunslinger Clean Up & Bronco Peak Run

Khoren and I camped at Bobcat meadow campground Saturday night. I forgot the top to the tent and it strated raining at 3:00am. You can only imagine all the laughs we had.

Had a good day Sunday with a few TDS Members and MikeGyver1. We helped clear out Manzanita Roots from the Gunslinger side trail called 911B. A lot of hard work is being put into getting this trail ready for 4wd's. The manzanita roots are basically sharp tree bottoms that will shred a tire to pieces should one drive over it.

I say we cleared up about 15 - 20 roots that day, pretty good amount of work was put in by all. After the trail clear up, MikeGyver1, Khoren and I headed to run Bronco Flats and Bronco Peak. We had a quick lunch break (more like an hour lunch break lol). MikeGyver1 is a Certified CMF, I'll sign the dotted line on that one. I have never been on these trails before so he let me lead so I can find the surprises, thanks buddy.

Bottom line, I had a blast and got through the trails with a little effort and a few umphs here and there and stacked rock twice. Still have no lockers and loving it. After I would pass an obstacle, MikeGyver would come through locked with 37's and just crawl over it like a spider, that made for a great time.

The next trail clearing is scheduled for November 7, 2010. Basically, we dig around the root, loop a chain around it once or twice and winch the root out of the ground. If you are available, please lend the helping hand, the more hands, the faster it can be done and the faster you can take your rig out there.
    Here are some photos.
    Mushrooms on the grill

Ribeye marinating

Woke up to beautiful colors in the sky

Winching out a big one (manzanita root)

This is what you see on the ground. They must be taken out

MikeGyver1 ventured off on his own ahead of the group and chopped down all the brush from the manzanita roots so we can see what to pull out.

One of the obstacles. Very steep, ofcourse picture does no justice

Hard at work (mikeGyver1, Khoren and Joe)

That's enough hard work for the day. Time to go out and play

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

If you have not run Bronco Peak, go run it, it's a bad a&& trail!!!

Time to play. Mike said not too many people go through this side-obstacle, you know I had to do it lol. Khoren and Mike guided me through and I must say...My Jeep with open diffs has no business on this obstacle but damn that was fun to get crawl through! Thanks for the guide gentlemen!

What lies ahead...

More boulders...

Beautiful Skys all day

Comment

One more for the road.....Mike's flex is not normal lol.

Comment

Cool pics Shant, oh yeah you need lockers!
        Will have to head out there for the next trail clearing event

Comment

Shant,

Great pictures, story, and grub! Very cool way to donate time and hard work. Good job. Throw an Aussie up front, you wont believe the difference.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            Cool pics Shant, oh yeah you need lockers!
            Will have to head out there for the next trail clearing event
            Thanks but we've covered this topic before hehe. Lockers are nice to have but not a necessity (<<~~did I spell that correctly?). That's my argument for now lol

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
              Shant,

Great pictures, story, and grub! Very cool way to donate time and hard work. Good job. Throw an Aussie up front, you wont believe the difference.

Mitch
              Thanks Mitch. Next upgrade is an onboard air system with a tank. I'm probably going to mount the tank under the Jeep by the rear drive shaft, not sure yet. After I get that installed, then the ARB's will come. We're still looking at about a year before that time.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBash View Post
                Thanks but we've covered this topic before hehe. Lockers are nice to have but not a necessity (<<~~did I spell that correctly?). That's my argument for now lol
                Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. I find it more rewarding making trails with open diffs. That, and I feel I'm a lot less likely to break something trying!

EDIT: As soon as I can afford (time & money) throwing my lockers in, I'm not looking back.
                Last edited by Materdaddy; 10-04-10, 08:25 PM. Reason: confession
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                  EDIT: As soon as I can afford (time & money) throwing my lockers in, I'm not looking back.
                  That statement made me laugh. It's completely opposite of the first stamenet haha. Excellent, I love it.

As you say, I must say, getting through tough trails with open diffs is more of a rewarding feeling. Also, I am afraid of what beast might unleash if I'm locked front and back ...

Comment

I don't know Shant, just don't see the reward in being towed through a trail by Booger, ya remember that one lol

Comment

No lockers = hard on the driveline.. Lockers = point and go, not having to force the square block through the round hole

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                        I don't know Shant, just don't see the reward in being towed through a trail by Booger, ya remember that one lol
                        Yes ofcourse. I was tow strapped through two obstacles on Clawhammer. But that's acceptable, because that's part of the hammers.
                        Last edited by MrBash; 10-05-10, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikegyver1 View Post
                          No lockers = hard on the driveline.. Lockers = point and go, not having to force the square block through the round hole
                          If you put it that way, it makes sense. Still not ready for lockers though. I like my open diffs

Comment

Dang, great job out there so far, guys! Hopefully I can make it out in November.

Comment

Working...
                            X