Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Still exploring the Ords!

Well today, Scott and Lesa (avjeepfreek), Reed and his son Levi (Reedster), and Dennison and I (great88) went out for some more exploring in the Ord Mountain area north and north east of Lucerne Valley.

The day started with a quick air down at the end of the pavement on Camp Rock Road. We first played in the muddy tippy wash next to Anderson Dry Lake. A fun place to stretch the springs. If you follow FB you can see what Scott found out there. Can't post it here

We then headed north in search of a couple mines that I noticed on my topo and had briefly visited a few years ago. I followed my memory thru twisting and rocky washes till we finally found our first spot. A couple of very tight rocky spot kept it very interesting on the drive.

Video

Next we headed around the hills to an old small arrastre and a fenced deep shaft. Very quiet and peaceful. We saw a very cool 4 inch long millipede playing on the rocks there.

After a nice break we took Reed to see Camp Skee for a bit. Still in good shape and a fun place.

We headed back to Camp Rock Road heading west and angled to OM6440. We stopped at and old Copper Mine and the ajoining leaching tanks. While checking out the area Scott noticed a nice size tarantula. Very interesting to watch and photo.

After leaving that spot we saw dozens of Chuckar running across the road in front of us. Made me hungry for sure.

Mr Steer trying to hide behind a Creosote bush. Failed!

From there we continued west on OM6440 and after crossing Hwy 247 we checked out the improvements at Sawtooth Campground.

And after reading a post that YJ's don't flex I wanted to prove it wrong. We took turns playing on the rocks and winding down after the awesome day, just having some fun.

Thanks everyone for the fun day. It was about 80' and great all day. Scott& Lesa the tacos were great!
    Last edited by Mitch; 10-04-10, 12:04 AM.

Looks like a real good time. What happened to your paint? Last time I seen your jeep wasn't it Maroon?

Comment

More Pic's

Thanks again to Mitch & Denni and Reed & Levi for a great day of just messing around! Lesa & I had a great time! We really didn't have a set plan, we just pointed the Jeep's and let them take us where ever! The weather was perfect and that made the desert much more enjoyable!

Here are a few from our camera!

Mitch playing in the wash at Anderson Dry Lake

Mitch flexin in the wash

Me in the wash

Reed commin through the wash

Sawtooth Canyon fun!

Copycat!

Best picture of the day! Levi

Later..... Taco's and Beer were the iceing on the cake!

Scott
      "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Scott,

Tell Lesa thanks for the cool photo's. Sorry I couldn't find a trail for the first part! Google Earth made it look like a dirt road, which obviously it wasn't!!! Too much fun, again.

Comment

I guess we all had a favorite picture or two! Reed thanks again for bringing Levi out.

Comment

Love the pics. What a great day.
            SexyGrnEyedBrunette

Comment

Thanks for a great day out Mitch, Dennison, Scott and Lesa. Levi likes getting out and about and it was fun to explore some areas I haven't checked out before. I also enjoyed checking out the climbing at New Jack City (Sawtooth Canyon). I have spend a fair amount of time climbing out there, but it has probably been ten years since I was there last. The new changes are pretty dramatic.

Let me know when you guys want to go out again. Hopefully Amber will be available and can join in on the fun.

~Reed

PS: Scott and Lesa seemed to enjoy that pole in the rock house. Maybe they need one of these for the back of their Jeep. http://www.tailgatingideas.com/tow-hitch-stripper-pole/
              Last edited by Reedster; 10-04-10, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reedster View Post
                PS: Scott and Lesa seemed to enjoy that pole in the rock house. Maybe they need one of these for the back of their Jeep. http://www.tailgatingideas.com/tow-hitch-stripper-pole/
                That's AWESOME!! Can't wait to show her this!! She'll want one for sure!!

Scott
                "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

HEY! Was this one of those "secret handshake" things?
                  Just kidding..
                  Looks like you guys had a good time.

Scott

Comment

The YJ with the half doors, those look awesome!

M4U, I can't find the company, are they still around?

Thanks,
                    Rob.

Comment

So mitch, Where am i gonna find the best chuckar hunting that you've found?

Comment

Rob,

The doors are from "Moab 4x4 Outpost" in Moab Utah. I saw them advertised also at 4 wheel parts. Try www.moab4x4outpost,com

Clay, I will send you some info as soon as I get it to Nipple Twister John

Mitch

Comment

Really fun lookin pictures !!
                          Leanne & I were in Sawtooth canyon last week on our quads, beautiful area. Also explored the Mt N/W where we saw a red rattler. What a view from the top of a hill we reached by a jeep trail. Want to go back in the jeep and explore.

Comment

Working...
                          X