Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Dusy Ershim Trail

John Kent (COHUHOL) and I ran the Dusy Ershim Trail just before the Labor Day weekend. The trail is located in the Sierras northeast of Fresno. The trail is over 30 miles in length and is noted for plenty of slow rock crawling. The Charles Wells Guide ranks it just below the Fordyce and Rubicon trails in terms of difficulty, but it is also among the top Sierra trails in terms of scenery, good camping and fishing. Our plan was to start from Courtright Reservoir and spend three days and two nights on the trail, camping at Thompson Lake and Ershim Lake then attend the CA4WDC High Sierra Poker Run near Bald Mountain over the Labor Day weekend.

We arrived at Courtright Reservoir from Southern California on Tuesday afternoon, August 31, 2010 and we set up camp at Voyager Campground. We were the only people at the campground.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The next morning, we broke camp and started on the trail. Our goal was to reach Thompson Lake, a distance of about 9 miles. The Fresno 4-Wheel Drive Club has adopted the trail and there is plenty of evidence of the work they have done to maintain the trail:

We stopped for lunch below a granite dome that displays the face of an old bearded man:

It was early afternoon when we reached the bottom of Thompson Hill. It was only about 1.5 miles to Thompson Lake and at the rate that we had been traveling I expected that we would reach our campsite in less than an hour. I was wrong. Thompson Hill is steep and has lots of loose rocks, ruts and holes. I had to stack lots of rocks, got stuck twice and John had to rescue me with his winch. It took us nearly two hours to go the last 1.5 miles. After easily running the Fordyce Trail a couple of week earlier, I was overconfident; but I now had a lot more respect for the Dusy.

We were the only ones camped at Thompson Lake. That night, we relaxed by a campfire:

Continued...
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Thursday, September 2, 2010

On Thursday morning, we broke camp. Our goal was to travel slightly more than 11 miles to Ershim Lake. We had been traveling a little over two hours and we were nearing the midway point of the trail when I heard a clinking noise from something dragging on the trail:

We were near the midway point, and we had a brief discussion on whether we should turn around or continue the run. At the speed that we were traveling on the trail, I didn’t need the shock absorber, so we decided to continue.

We arrived at Ershim Lake, set up camp and decided to cool off in the lake. The lake is beautiful, but I discovered that the lake bottom is muddy and the water is murky because of algae. Still, it was nice to be able to get rid of the dust that seemed to be clogging every pore.

We did not see any other people or vehicles that day. We were the only people camped at Ershim Lake.

Continued...
    KI6MLU

Comment

Friday, September 3, 2010

On Friday, we had just over 9 miles to the end of the trail, then about 30 miles on pavement to the CA4WDC event basecamp. We left Ershim Lake and navigated one of the typical boulder fields:

We reached the ridgeline and enjoyed some nice but somewhat hazy views of the area. This is a view of Lake Thomas A. Edison:

We neared the end of the trail:

Huntington Lake:

We were in the last boulder field about a quarter mile from the end of the trail when John lost his steering. His steering sector shaft broke between the steering gearbox and his Pitman arm:

Although he had no steering, he was able to back his Jeep to the side of the trail. Fortunately, we were high enough and close enough to the end of the trail that we had cell phone coverage. The best way to get his Jeep off the trail was to replace the steering gearbox; we got on the phone to try to find one. We called the Jeep dealer and 4 Wheel Parts in Fresno, but the earliest they could get a gearbox was on Tuesday. Carquest in Fresno said that they could get one the following morning. We removed the broken steering gearbox and John decided to stay with his Jeep while I went for the replacement part. I left John on the trail, and I went to the CA4WDC basecamp near Bald Mountain so I could get an early start for Fresno the next morning.

Continued...
      KI6MLU

Comment

Saturday, September 4, 2010

On Saturday, I left the CA4WDC basecamp at about 7:00 am, and got to the Carquest store at about 9:00 am. I stopped at Starbucks for coffee and to check my e-mail then I headed back up the hill to deliver the steering box. I got back to the disabled Jeep shortly after 1:00 pm, and we had the gearbox installed and the Jeep moving by 3:00 pm.

We finished the trail and stopped at White Bark Vista to view the scenery, but the haze and smoke from a distant forest fire obscured much of the view.

We met very few people during the three days we were on the trail. On the first day, there was a group of Jeeps from the Victor Valley 4 Wheelers who were coming down Thompson Hill as we were going up. Then we didn't see anyone else until Friday, when we met a number of people who were entering the trail for the Labor Day weekend as we were leaving. I've often heard 4 wheelers say that they don't like the big crowds that they encounter on the Rubicon; the Dusy Ershim has the great scenery, camping and fishing, but without the crowds.
        KI6MLU

Comment

Sounds like an awesome time . . . cool to have the whole place to yourself! Hope to get out to these trails some day.
          That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Great report Russ. I love that trail. That view of Huntington Lake coming down the back side is quite something. The lake almost looks like it's tilted towards you.
            Check out .

Comment

Fantastic report Russ. The Dusy is one of my favorite trails. Crowds do not seem to be a problem on the trail from our trip or from any of the reports that I have seen lately.
              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
              [/COLOR]

Comment

Way to go on the trail fix Russ.

Steve
                All slow and no show

Comment

Very cool. Are you locked now Russ? (I seem to recall that you had open diff's last year?)
                  Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                  Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                  HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                    Very cool. Are you locked now Russ? (I seem to recall that you had open diff's last year?)
                    Yes. Gerald @ Savvy got me a used powertrain from a Rubicon. Mr. Blaine and Chris Fields installed it. I helped them. It took four days. If I hadn't helped, they would have been done in three days
                    KI6MLU

Comment

Yup, its an awesome place. And as always, Russ you do a fantastic job with camera and report. Thanks.
                      "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                      (Charles Wells)

Comment

Nice report Russ. Great photos also.

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
                        If I hadn't helped, they would have been done in three days
                        Did Mr. Blaine & Chris charge you extra for your help?
                        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                        MJR moderator
                        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

Thompson Hill

You should try going up Thompson hill with a XJ Cherokee with 31's strapped to the rear. Wished I had pictures of that, Kevin.

Comment

Working...
                          X