Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about it...just wondering why they are requiring a forest service adventure pass for doing our normal wheeling & trail clean-up. For all trails they are saying it is required....hmmmm.

Comment

Adventure Pass

...isn't it required to do any off hwy parking or use?
      John & Kristi

Comment

From what I understand it is only needed if you are leaving your vehicle unattended.

Comment

You only need it if you stop and get out..... Like to pick up trash....

www.jeeppatrol.net/jeeppatrolinfofile.html

I'm deleting this info as it really didn't pertain to anything that actually occurred....
          Last edited by Mike-Motorbike; 10-17-10, 11:45 AM.

Comment

That's alot of info...

Thanks to our fearless leader mixing it up! Had a blast and will be visiting All J soon.
            USMC F&AM

Comment

It was fun day. I am bumed that I ended up on Green run but it was still a good day in the forest. Jeep has some interesting products coming out soon including an off-road trailer.

Comment

I had fun too and also was put on a Green trail??
                I did not complain though because I had my wife with me and she has been reluctant to go 4 wheeling with me since I got the TJ this year.
                Probly because when I was in my 20's I may have been more spirited in the YJ I had....... Which also had allot rougher ride especially if your boobs are large like hers.......
                I usually wheel by my self . So I'm not sure what others think is easy , medium or hard.

So I go through signup. I'm pre-registered .....
                If any of you have done any dirtbike racing or any AMA or whatever . The signups went EASY....
                Then I say where do I go who do I see??

This is where it gets interesting.

They tell me to go stand over in that general area and they will call out your name..??
                (For some reason people kept asking me if I was a trail leader?)
                I get put in a group with this young guy with red hair leading.
                I asked "where are we going."
                He points at the map.He points to the 1N38 and 1N37 area.
                I'm thinking WOW these guys are hard core if thats easy...

I say "your going to bring beginners up there have you been there before??"
                He says , "No I couldn't prerun it yesterday I was waiting for parts...."
                So I tell him "Well Those aren't easy trails they are at least medium if not Black Dimond....."
                He says " Thats OK I have a winch"
                I told Him 'Your going to run into problems with this group on that run"
                And I told Him " That is near my cabin and I hit those trails all the time."" I kinda wanted to do something different and not so scary with my wife.""Butt I feel you will need someone to help find this area, its kinda hidden."

Just then I hear OK we just need one or two more for our group and we can leave from the group in front of us.
                So I jump in with them and left......... Whatcha gonna to do???

So we go up 2N09 2N71 3N12 3N14 Potty Break at Big Pine Flats.
                Wife says this new TJ rides like a caddy compared to the old Jeep and the F250.
                (I've got 2-3/4" lift in front lift 2" in back with 10" travel skyjacker hydro's and 1" bumpstops)
                Trails are two wheel drive-able but its fun being in the mountains.
                They had a guy at the pigmy cabin do a history talk. We had Lunch there....

Then down 3N16 to the BBQ .

We were an hour or so early and we decided to leave. Picked up a shirt then I say hey let me show you where those guys where going this morning.
                Reluctantly says OK.

I took her halfway up Heartbar peak and turned around , because I don't have lockers and I DO have a D35.....................
                I have made it to the top before but I had to abuse the skinny peddle to do it.
                Remember I'm trying to not scare her...

SOOO I say hey just for kicks lets look at the other trail (1N37) too.
                And I noticed the BLACK DIAMOND trail sign at the trail head?
                I hit a tree trying to go around a down tree and bent a fender..
                We end up going all the way to the top and come down 1N05.

My wife held up good and agreed with me about the mixup.
                Those guys probly hopefully just stayed on 1N02 which is boring... But safe.

It was defiantly an interesting day...
                Last edited by Mike-Motorbike; 10-17-10, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Had a great day....

....out trailin around, doin some trash duty and havin a good day, picked up some "white trash" and reported some "trailer trash"..hehe....turned our Green Run into a Blue Run and everyone handled it beautifully, no mishaps! We have to thank all those who put this on, lots to do but you pulled it off perfectly. The radio comm was working great thanks to Emergency ham radio group. Our trail leaders/tailgunners did an excellent job of getting everyone thru.....the OHV Volunteer group worked tiredlessly to be helpful and insightful making this work, great job. The forest service personnel "multi-tasking" wearing more then one hat, thanks!

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...0/IMG_0643.jpg
                  http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...0/IMG_0640.jpg
                  http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...0/IMG_0630.jpg
                  http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...0/IMG_0648.jpg
                  http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...0/IMG_0650.jpg
                  We'll will try not to miss any more of thses runs....
                  John & Kristi

Comment

What time did you leave?
                    I recognize that Toyota truck. I saw it in the confusion in the morning.
                    I think you guys left before us.
                    What trails did you do?
                    Half of the vehicles in our group where stock SUVs. So Definite Green for them .
                    We where the group that got their after you at the pigmy cabin....

Comment

Mike I am pretty sure you ended up in the group I was Tail Gunning for and had a Yellow CJ-7 as your leader.

I also agree that the Registration process went very well however there was a lot of other confusion on how and where to meet for a departing run and also when they were leaving. All in all for an even that was planed and executed in less then 2 months it went incredibly well and I am sure the next time this is put on will be even better.
                      Last edited by Pikeman; 10-17-10, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I had a great time! Well how could I NOT have a good time geing in the same group with Scott (AVJeepfreek) & Lesa and John (Nipple twister) & Christy??

There was a total of seven Jeeps and on Toyota PU in our group. Six of us were MJR members with TipsE-Z (Chris). Bert and his family had a beautiful JK that he just bought from someone here on MJR, but I can't remember his name.

I was asked to be the tail gunner with this group since I am a ham. However, the trail leader did not know the area at all. The area was north of 3N16 in Holcumb Valley. He asked me and the powers that be If I would take the lead. I agreed and since Scott knows the area also, he became the tail gunner. We worked well together as you would expect us to!

This was supposed to be a green trail run but we ended up on a few Blue trails. We got everyone through with out a hitch. It was kinda trickey for the Toyota as he was only two wheel drive with the diff spooled up. We kept telling him if he got stuck, don't worry, we would get him out. It would however include a photo session of a Jeep rescuing a Toyota! It was all in fun and he and his girl friend enjoyed the ribbing. BTW, She now wants to buy a Jeep!

We saw Fishpoet, Rat Patrol, Russ Chung, Mike & Sharon as well as a few other MJR people.

I think I'd like to help out next time they do this kind of event.
                        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                        MJR moderator
                        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

heard some talk about the event today on the keller repeater. among all the fun they talked about, MJR came up as a good website for information on clean-up/runs and as example of how a jeep club should be. you guys made a great impression on people out there!
                          KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy162 View Post
                            heard some talk about the event today on the keller repeater. among all the fun they talked about, MJR came up as a good website for information on clean-up/runs and as example of how a jeep club should be. you guys made a great impression on people out there!
                            That's awsome! Glad to hear that. Russ, Mike and sharon and I didn't make the Jeep Patrol because we were taking care of business on 3N93. But we stopped by for a few minutes after we were done. Looked like a fair turn out. There were still folks rolling into the Discovery Center as we were heading out. Thanks to all who attended and helped out. We listened on russ' ham all day and it sounds like you guys covered a lot of ground. I hope they run this event again soon.
                            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Yep thats the one.

Do you know how that group that went to heart bar did?
                              How many people attended?

Originally posted by Pikeman View Post
                              Mike I am pretty sure you ended up in the group I was Tail Gunning for and had a Yellow CJ-7 as your leader.

I also agree that the Registration process went very well however there was a lot of other confusion on how and where to meet for a departing run and also when they were leaving. All in all for an even that was planed and executed in less then 2 months it went incredibly well and I am sure the next time this is put on will be even better.

Comment

Don Alexander was the driving force behind the Jeep Patrol event. He is the same gentleman that just produced the new Big Bear area offroad map and he is currently working on offroad maps for other areas of the SBNF.

Bill & Kathy Howard, both OHV Volunteer Program leaders, ran the Jeep Patrol Communications Center with help from Mountain ECS volunteers.

155 people pre-registered online for the event. Only 55 of those people who pre-registered showed up on Saturday morning. 15 unregistered participants also signed in. The SBNFA OHV Volunteer Program members ran the registration booth.

I had originally signed up to work the SBNFA OHV Volunteer Kiosk. Don was short Patrol Leaders and had asked me a couple of weeks ago to lead a patrol. After the low turnout we had an abundance of Patrol Leaders and I ended up not leading a patrol after all.

After everyone left the Discovery Center we set up the kiosks & BBQ around the amphitheater. It started raining around noon and after 2 hours of steady rain the decision was made to tear down and move inside the Discovery Center. We were still moving when the patrols started arriving back at 3pm. The rain stopped about 3pm and the rest of the afternoon was mostly cloudy but dry. We cooked burgers and dogs for an hour and then had a nice raffle.

For a first event it overall went very well. Jeep was pleased with the attendance. The Jeep Patrol command center performed flawlessly. The next event has a solid foundation to build from.
                                Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Working...
                                X