Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Red cloud mine exploring

this is my favorite mine and its time for round two. its not much of a wheeling trip because its only ten minutes off the pavement but this is the second largest mine in calico. expect 2.5 hours underground to explore it all. this one was a real adventure last time and id expect most anyone would enjoy it. it does require a little agility in that it has ladders and some steep rock areas you must climb. this outing will specifically target the upper levels of the mine and attempt to find the other exits/entrances maybe even a connection with an adjacent mine...who knows? ill try to add to this post as the week goes by

what to bring:
    good judgment
    flashlights (3 per person)
    batteries..enough for usable light up to 12 hours
    backpack
    water for underground
    lunch for underground
    camera
    a helmet is recommended or expect to bump your head
    shoes capable of edging into rock

what to expect:
    2.5-3 hours underground
    small belly crawls of less then 4 feet
    75 foot 100 year old ladders (good condition, not vertical)
    several small ladders of varying condition
    ore shoots
    good airflow
    a couple bats
    lots of red dirt stained into your clothes

where to meet:
    peggy sues dinner at 10:30
    http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...wIwAQ&t=h&z=16

KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Troy,

Take lots of pictures! The Stoop looks interesting with the bowing supports. Be safe.

Comment

that room with the supports is nuts there is a short cut trail that snakes up through there but id never try it. the ground is loose and some supports are splintered and mushroomed. it creeped me out just looking down through it haha

Comment

Good to hear. I have a story for another time from a Big Bear mine. Use your senses.

Comment

oh id love to hear the story! bigbear has lots of loose rock it seems in its mines.
          this trip isnt gaining much or any interest. it will probably be canceled.
          i swear this stuff isnt too dangerous, but i can imagine its quite a leap for those who havnt been in many mines to suddenly spend hours in a swiss cheese mtn. i enjoy it but its not a common hobby by any measure

Comment

fun

I would like to do this. just a little short notic for me (got it today) I would like to hit up Calico mid Oct. thought it would be a fun side adventure to check out the mines.. love that kind of stuff. I've spent hours in the mud hills out in Borrego Springs.
            I'll send you a PM troyboy162 when we get our act together :bonk:

Comment

sounds like a plan. it worked out anyways since my radio install today isnt even finished

Comment

Wish I could have made it out this weekend but climbing around with a finger that is broken in 3 places isnt the best idea. I would be game for a mid october trip.

Comment

Working...
                X