Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: OHV Rating System (Green, Blue, Black)

:confused:

I'm trying to find out more information on the OHV rating system her in California. I understand that it is the same as the snowboarding/skiing system in that:

Green - Easiest

Blue - More Difficult

Black - Most Difficult

What I'm unsure of is how they determine what trail gets what? I was under the impression that Black Diamond trails required a heavily modified 4wd with lots of clearance yet, this past weekend, I took my stock YJ through two Black Diamond trails with no problems (stuck twice due to a poor line choice, reversed and approached correctly). The only thing different on my Jeep from the day it rolled off the line is BFG AT's 33x11.5 and a new top.

Can anyone post up what you would describe the rating system as?

Thanks!
    USMC F&AM

USFS trails/roads are reated under a Federal rating system. As you've noticed, what's "Black" for some might not be Black for all. Here's the section from the OHV Volunteers "Rules" class. Pretend there's graphics

Trails are rated using a standard system in use throughout the recreation industry. Ratings are assigned under ideal conditions, and are based on difficulty compared to other routes in the area. A trail rated easy by local standards could possibly be rated moderate or even difficult elsewhere. Conditions are always subject to change due to weather and other acts of nature.

(Easy) These routes are appropriate for novice through advanced users. They generally follow obvious, well-marked trails and roads. Grades are gentle, and few obstacles will be encountered.

(More Difficult) These routes are appropriate for intermediate through advanced users. Terrain may be steeper, trails narrower, and some obstacles may be encountered.

(Most Difficult) These routes are recommended for advanced to expert users only. Terrain is steep, and routes are not well marked. You should have considerable skill in your chosen activity, as well as knowledge of navigation and survival before attempting these trails.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

The trails in the local area seem to play a big part in the ratings. Green always seems to be pretty tame and easily doable in a stock Jeep. But the Black Diamond seems to span a wide range . . . like Miller Jeep trail which I think most would consider Moderate at best is a Black Diamond, but is much easier than some of the trails up in Big Bear or Calico with the same rating. Green and Blue trails that I have been on have all been easy and doable in a stock Jeep . . . Black is hit or miss.
      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

A trail will get the rating of the hardest obstacle on the trail. In other words, if a trail is practically a paved road 98% of the way, but has 1 obstacle that would take 31s & 1 locker, it will be rated black diamond.
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

what ive seen so far from the state trail ratings is that green and blue are trails normal people might want to go on to see scenic places. the black trails would only be interesting to "wheelers". its a horrible trail rating system for wheelers but pretty helpful for someone going on a picnic.
          i like this system since its similar to the VV 4 wheelers club but lends itself better to normal trails http://www.nwtoys.com/trailratings/
          KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies, I really appreciate it. I guess I'll just have to keep using a spotter and walking the Black Diamonds until I'm set up appropriately for whatever may lie ahead.
            USMC F&AM

Comment

Working...
            X