Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Exploring Fairview Valley

I picked up Dennison this morning to do some more exploring in Fairview Valley which is in the northern section of Apple Valley. Both Roger and I have done runs thru this unique and interesting area before. There are so many side trails and points of interest in this long valley that I continue to find new things each visit. We found several mining prospects, old home foundations, narrow sand wash trails, many things to ponder. After the tough, tear it up trails lately, this was a nice easy excursion.

The concrete dinosaur's of Apple Valley

Quail Spring

Amaral Spring this spot had a good 50 chuckar that took off while I explored on foot. We actual saw a group of chuckar take to air and a lone hawk in waiting pursued and singled out a meal as we watched. Rather cool.

Far south/east end of Fairview Valley over looking "The Cove" in Lucerne. A beautiful spot.

This was an interesting loading ramp set up where the trucks would drive in the slot below and were loaded with ore from above. We found a couple of areas that material had been removed for assay or other. Placer digs also in the area.

Right near the loading spot was this interesting shack. Some collapsed buildings, a large rock ring made of rock we found over a mile from this location. The shack has a loft for sleeping and at a previous time had some kind of electrical power. Things to think about and ponder.

So this is where the "Love Shack" is!

Love the desert

Next we cruised to the far north end of the valley next to the Cemex Cement Plant. We went up the long rocky climb to the old abandoned mine up on the hill. There is lots of history about this mine and area. The lower tunnel goes in 482 feet and is quite extensive. There is an upper tunnel that has a huge quartz vein running the length of it. This mine is currently for sale at $10 million and there is a sale pending to a Canadian company. They are buying a total of 40 ajoining claims. There is also a cool arrasta at the lower level. Explore while you can.

No we did not go to HELL this time!

We did have one tire problem heading down the hill to the arrasta. 3 plugs later and some air and we were driving home.

The new sea urchin!

Another awesome day exploring and we didn't run into anybody for 6 hours. Great weather and great wheeling.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 09-12-10, 06:36 AM.

nice! that mine is a good one. the spray paint is new i think. that mine was the first ladder i climbed
    KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Looks like you guys had a great day. Mitch I think the side walls on your tires aren't up to the kind of wheeling you do nowadays.LOL (need hardcore tires)
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

A putt putt video3

Comment

Curtis,

I'm thinking about the replacement tires right now. The Hercules (by Cooper) have been great for a year but..... Got to think about this. Oh yeah.... This is partly your fault. Time to chip in.

Mitch

Comment

Some 35" MTR's or BF Krawlers.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Mitch, nice trip, pictures and explanation as usual. The dinos are kind of neat. When we retired to AV four years ago we took up geocaching. Geocaching is a great way to learn about the area. One of the geocaches was the dino area. Interesting place.
              Rich

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                Some 35" MTR's or BF Krawlers.
                Love my 33" MTR's they stick when they really shouldn't even on gravel
                Sarcasm is my body's natural response to stupid.

Comment

what kind of camera do you have mitch? that little video was very stable for driving along and filming one handed
                  KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

I was out that way today. I used to do a bunch of climbing at the rocks on the North side of the Valley. Cool area and I hadn't been back there but once in the last 10 years or so. Nice pics Mitch.

Comment

That's a great area to explore and there is't a whole lot of people out that way. It seems to be stayng pretty nice.

That looks like there's quite a bit of water in Quail Spring.

No shots of the of the Caboose? Just as well, I get more pissed every time I see it...

Thanks for sharing Mitch.
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

Curtis: no 35's / way too much money to update axles, gearing....

Troy: Sony Cyber Shot CCamera 14.1 Mega Pixel

Roger: Wanted to show Dennison the Caboose, but forgot. I have found more stuff to check out in the area, so I will check it out next trip.

Comment

Looks like a great day of explorering thanks for sharing Mitch. I was out that way for the first time earlier this year. We saw that mine from a distance but were running out of daylight so we didn't get up to it but I guess I have to get up there and check it out.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by explorer1 View Post
                            Looks like a great day of explorering thanks for sharing Mitch. I was out that way for the first time earlier this year. We saw that mine from a distance but were running out of daylight so we didn't get up to it but I guess I have to get up there and check it out.

Chris
                            Chris, grab Andy and Candace and we can make a weekend out of it. There's great climbing, awesome mountain biking and plenty of stuff to explore with the Jeeps.

Comment

Reedster,

Let me know when you head out there. I haven't gone to the back of that mine yet. Need someone on the outside for safety, which has always been me. So much to see out there. Really soft for mountain bikes though.

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                              X