Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Lake Tennyson

Looking to chase some snow Liz and I decided to head inland to a site we visited at Easter, Lake Tennyson which is located at 1100m elevation inland from the resort town of Hanmer Springs.

After a quick journey through to Hanmer for some lunch we headed up towards the lake. The temperature hit 11 degrees (C) as we climbed and there was no sign of snow at road level and no sign of bad weather. There had obviously been snow recently as a lot of the native grasses were flattened , just a week too early!

Because of the dry road and despite some interesting small but severe pot holes in the road we were at the lake turnoff by about 1.30 so we decided to head up to Island Saddle to see if we could find some snow there, being the highest road point. There was some snow in patches across the road and the top of the saddle provided a little stretch leading to a pylon where I could finally try out the new front locker. Not really testing conditions for it but it did demonstrate the effect on steering having the front locker engaged which pretty much resulted in removing the ability to steer very effectively at all

After a few photos we headed back down but in a fit of bravery decided to tackle the steep track up to the pylon that sits on a hill just before Island Saddle. A bit doubtful and hoping that there was not going to be any hidden ice or snow we engaged low range and crawled up. The effort was worth it with great 360 views and more photo opportunities. The view heading down with the track disappearing down a drop off was pretty exciting.

Taking the turnoff into Lake Tennyson and heading to the lake shore we were the only people there. A quick survey of the possible campsites yielded some decidedly soggy looking areas. We then checked out the stream crossing that leads to the track around the southern edge of the lake. It didn’t look any deeper that when we last crossed it so with a few stone chucked in to check the depth we picked a spot close to the bend and shot through without any issue. The rutted tracks along the lake were just as rutted and pretty wet but with no gradient to cope with they were easy going. At the far campsite we found lots of frost in the shadows and the same great views as last time. After a bit of discussion we decided to camp here due to the sheltered nature and great view and despite the lack of a proper loo.

Camp was quickly set up and we took a bit of a wander to a nearby stream where Liz spotted some icicles’ on twigs, a sign that it was not going to get any warmer. There were several stone fire rings and despite earlier no fire signs we decided to light a fire with the compressed sawdust “logs” I’d bought along. These things are not easy to light without good tinder and kindling, we had newspaper but it was struggling then Liz suggested using the electric air mattress inflator to force air into the struggling fire. This worked a treat with forge like flames streaming straight out of the gaps around the logs and soon we had a self sustaining fire- note to bring different fule and fire starters next time (as well as marshmallows to toast).

We retired to bed fairly early and awoke to a -1 frost with ice over the tent and just about everything else left outside. However as soon as the sun rose it soon melted off and we packed down to start the journey back.

We decided to head up to the Amuri Ski field and passed a few cars coming down. The top portion of the access road has sharp switchback corners that the long wheelbase Jeep struggled with and a hot oil warning forced it to become a low range climb. I don’t know how some of the 2wd vehicles make it up the top part of the track! The field was open but very few skiers probably due to the thin nature of the remaining snow. We took a look around and a few pics hen it was back off home to Chch after a brief stop in Hanmer for the obligatory wander around the shops.

All in all a great weekend but a pity that there was no snow on the ground- I guess we’ll just have to head back there when there is

More photos at:

http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/a...02010/?start=0

Nice pictures. Beautiful area. Might I ask, how did you manage to tent out in -1 degree temperatures?

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Just to clarify this was -1 degree Celcius or 30.1 Fahrenheit, not -1 Farenheit which would have been a big challenge without Artic gear

We had warm sleeping bags- need decent 3-4 season ones- on an air mattress with a thick blanket over to provide insulation from below.

Certainly an experience!
      Last edited by Tycho; 08-24-10, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tycho View Post
        Just to clarify this was -1 degree Celcius or 30.1 Fahrenheit, not -1 Farenheit which would have been a big challenge without Artic gear

We had warm sleeping bags- need decent 3-4 season ones- on an air mattress with a thick blanket over to provide insulation from below.

Certainly an experience!
        Makes sense. One day we camped out in 18 Degree Fahrenheit temperatures with 40 degree sleeping bags and a summper tent and boooyyy was it freezing. Proper Gear is a must.

Love the pictures though.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Dude! Great pics and a really nice refreshing post since it was 110 degrees F in Rancho Cucamonga today. Reading your post made me feel better. Gorgeous territory.

Just a note, lockers in snow can get a little squirrelly in some conditions, but your front locker shouldn't impede your driving on dirt tracks. The looser the dirt, the easier it will turn and drive.

Since you have lockers now, I guess that you are ready to drive that thing through Calico, huh?
          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Beautiful pictures and landscape! I always like it when you post. Theres some terrific area out there to enjoy the outdoors. Thanks.
            I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Beautiful area. Nice pictures!
              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                Dude! Great pics and a really nice refreshing post since it was 110 degrees F in Rancho Cucamonga today. Reading your post made me feel better. Gorgeous territory.

Just a note, lockers in snow can get a little squirrelly in some conditions, but your front locker shouldn't impede your driving on dirt tracks. The looser the dirt, the easier it will turn and drive.

Since you have lockers now, I guess that you are ready to drive that thing through Calico, huh?
                We have just about forgotten what warm weather feels like here and Liz has been learning to ride motorcycle during winter! Actually still waiting on the rear locker to go in. Was out of stock but should be on its way now and installed in the next couple of weeks. Not ideal having only the front locker especailly on the weaker axle Point taken regarding snow driving, I just need to tackle some more dirt! Yeah Mike I'll hit Calico as soon as I can figure how to get the Jeep into my luggage

Comment

Working...
                X