Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Johnson Valley to Colo River

I got a question for those knowledgeable of the eastern So Cal deserts.....A co-worker was telling me he wants to plan a trip with his father by going from Johnson Valley off-road riding green sticker vehicles (dirt bikes) to Neddles or some area at the river......what would be the route?
    John & Kristi

Im probably not the expert you are looking for but it seems to me 29 Palms Marine Base owns everything east of J.V. and up to the 40 fwy. north of the 40 is national preserve and street legal only. Maybe try and steer them to the bradshaw trail that runs from salton sewer to the river???

Comment

Have them buy the BLM Surface Management Maps for that area. Avoid Wilderness Areas and the MNP.

What are they going to do for fuel?

Comment

Logistics

Fuel will be at pre-arranged checkpoints where ever that can be set up so that a 4 wheel vehicle can meet them.

I explained to him already about the Marine Base and MNP and the issues with no green sticker vehicles. He seems to think he overheard someone recently talking about making this trip.....

Thx for the input, will pass it along. If anything else comes to mind lemme know.....
        John & Kristi

Comment

They might be able to run the Mojave trail from Barstow to the river. I know there are a lot of dual sports(street legal bike) that make that run but I am not sure if green sticker bikes are ok. If they do the mojave trail they can make it there and back in 1 day if you keep a good pace. Hope this helps

Chris

Comment

Time/Pace

No worries about keeping good pace, both riders are X desert racers and it is planned to be a one way trip, trucks/trailers waiting for them for the return trip.....thx.....we'll have to do a pre-run and see where we're at........
            John & Kristi

Comment

John - Green Sticker Vehicles are not allowed anywhere within the MNP.
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

yup....

.....that what I thought, thx Roger. The topo I'm using shows a small strip area between the north border of the Marine base and I40 so then maybe S/E towards Needles.......
                If you think of anything lemme know, might go in a few weeks and see how to get from JV to that point, map it and then try another day for the next leg....
                John & Kristi

Comment

Working...
                X