Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Friday morning run around

Hi Y'all!

Finally fixed the YJ and drove it 'nuff to feel good about the trail :devil:

Gonna stretch the legs this Friday morning with my treehuggin' daughter and my newly rebuilt 5spd, I don't plan on doing anything difficult, we have done enough of that for now.

Gonna get some breakfast somewhere nice and then wheel a bit and then get lunch somewhere and then wheel a bit and then call it a day. :beer:

I was thinking about getting out early and having breakfast on the way to Lucern & go up to Big Bear the back way, do Jacoby canyon, Gold Mtn.. have lunch up there and then hit something on the way back down. It's going to be casual whatever it is, and any trail suggestions, and good company are welcome... I do want to be back home for Dinner so we don't get crazy!
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Dang-it Jesse,

I'm off on Fridays, but I have a chiropractor appointment at 8:00 in the morning in Lucerne Valley. Wish I could go...

Oh well, Maybe next year when you do another run
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

I would have been up for this to but I'm on call this week.
      Dennis and Tammy
      Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Hi, I might be up for this. Actually I'm definitely up for Jacoby Canyon but I'm a little worried about Gold Mountain. I'm in a 2000 XJ with about 3.5" of lift and 31's with open diffs. I don't have any armor yet, which is what I'm concerned about. I've watched some videos of Gold Mountain and saw multiple XJs hit their rock sliders. I'm concerned about my rockers and don't want to mess them up.

So, my question is, Do you think I can do Gold Mountain with my rig and not damage my rockers?

Thanks,

-Reed

Comment

Jesse,

Good to hear that you have a chance to get out and go Jeeping. If I could get off work I would join you. Have fun and be safe.

Mitch

Comment

Argh! you guys.... now she says she wants to do some mines... I dunno, I like to do it all.

Reedster - I don't think you would have trouble on Gold Mountain, we would take our time and pick the best line. It's going to be a casual day and if we have to stack some rocks we will. Your profile doesn't say stick or automatic, that can make a difference when your just starting out- so what do ya got?

I will break out some maps and plan a route that suits what we want to do and get a meet spot & time on here this afternoon, I know it's all real last minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
              Reedster - I don't think you would have trouble on Gold Mountain, we would take our time and pick the best line. It's going to be a casual day and if we have to stack some rocks we will. Your profile doesn't say stick or automatic, that can make a difference when your just starting out- so what do ya got?
              It's an auto. Taking time and picking the best line sounds perfect. I've spent years driving in the desert, but haven't been doing any real wheeling for very long. So, I'm still learning, which makes it extra fun.

I'll wait for your details later today, but I should be in.

Thanks,

-Reed

Comment

OK, I'll make it easy... let's meet for breakfast @ 8:00am tomorrow @ Tom's across from St. Marys in Apple Valley. That should put us on the road around 8:30ish. We'll go up the back side of Big Bear, take Jacoby canyon up and then go down past the dump to the 18 and then tackle Gold Mtn from it's start, then hold right and come back down by the dump again to the 18 and then head into town, maybe hit the discovery center and get some lunch somewhere. I could take a more complicated route to avoid the backtracking, but I know how these things go and I have company coming over and I don't want to be late for dinner. Should make for a fun & easy day, even if the weather goes a lil south on us. I'll just say that it has been known to snow on me (more than a few times) when I'm on a trail in the middle of the summer.

everybody's welcome to tag along of course!

Comment

I wish I could go but, the wife has other plans friday for me. Heading to Huntington beach for the day. Sorry I missed it have a good time and try and take some pics. I was excited just reading about you both planning this out!

Comment

You're killing me!!! I have next Friday off to play! It's just not right goin' out wheeling without your sis!

Comment

I'll be there. I'm bringing my 16 month old son and my wife is thinking about it. See you at Tom's at 8am.
                      -Reed

Comment

I wish I could make this run but duty calls.I'll try to come by at 0800 and say to "HI" before the fun.
                        Dennis and Tammy
                        Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Thanks Jesse for a fun morning on the trails. My wife had a good time, which is probably the most important thing. Jacoby Canyon was fun and super scenic. My electric fan broke on the one technical section on Jacoby and my XJ got a little warm at the top, so we decided to skip Gold Mountain. My wife, son and I did a nice hike near the Discovery Center and then had a late lunch before heading home. It was a very nice day in the mountains.
                          ~Reed

Comment

Reedster, We had a good time wheelin' with you all, it was fun and easy & that was what we were going for! Thanks for coming along and letting us get out for the day.

Comment

Hey Jesse,

Sounds like you had a great time. That was me that waved as we passed each other on Hwy 18 between LV & AV.

Roger
                              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                              MJR moderator
                              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X