Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Need Info/Insight on Corral Canyon OHV

I'm hoping to get some information and opinions about a trip I want to plan/prepare for to Corral Canyon OHV in January [for my birthday run!].

I've seen quite a few YouTube videos, and some write-ups on MJR about the trails there; looks like a complete blast! Nice job on the clean up and new trail prep written up here and on SCUFF, I love it when the concerned folks pull together to improve and KEEP IT OPEN.

We're in SO-AZ. I want to plan a weekend trip to Corral Canyon OHV to camp and run the trails. My questions are:

1. Are Sidewinder and Bronco Peak enough to keep us busy for 2 days of trail running?

2. What's 'Trail 11'? I want to do the 'Loop'.

3. Where's Los Pinos Rd? Is that another trail we might like to include in our itinerary?

4. If you think Sidewinder and Bronco Peak are not enough to keep us occupied, what else is in the area that you would recommend. [Scenic, techical]

5. Would you camp at one of the campsights at Corral Canyon OHV, given the option? Which one? Why? Or are there other, better campsights nearby?

6. If we're traveling West on I-8, which exit should we take, and if you could include roads & turns I would be forever grateful.

7. If you think that Corral Canyon OHV is not worthy of the drive from AZ, please tell me why?

Any and all info/help opinions welcome. Thanks everyone in advance for your help!

d
    Last edited by dzJeepChic; 07-17-10, 07:50 PM.
    Diane
    SoCal to SoAz Transplant

Corral Canyon is a fairly small area. Depending on the amount of vehicles, how they're set up, and if anyone breaks you'll do both trails in a day and still have plenty of daylight left. Make sure you look for all the offshoots or you'll get through the trail that much quicker. Use the Buckman Springs off ramp. When you get to the off road area you'll come to a "Y" where there will be a sign and maps of the trails. It's dusty this time of year and I like the campground to the left of the "Y". The trail head is to the right and also has campgrounds but more dust. Make sure you have an Adventure Pass, fires are not allowed in the summer and it's possible to have rain this time of year. Have fun.
    Last edited by Double AA; 07-18-10, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Corral Canyon

Here is a link with a little more info.http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/re...v/corral.shtml
      Here is a link to maps of trails. 903 is an old trail with a new set of hard core offshoots. Bronco Peak has some challanging sections but has some bypasses for the challenging sections. Enjoy
      Maps--http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/recreation/ohv/mvum2009/descanso_corral_canyon_august2009.pdf
      George
      Last edited by TDS SD; 07-17-10, 10:59 PM. Reason: More info added

Comment

Corral Canyon OHV Area is one of the local wheelin' spots around here I really enjoy. You could do all the trails there in one day but there are also quite a few more not too far away. I'd be happy to tag along with ya when you come out here.

From I-8 take Buckman Springs Rd exit and turn left. Follow that a bit over 3 miles and turn right on Morena Stokes Valley Road (Corral Canyon Road). This will take you up the hill to a paved 4-way intersection called Four Corners.

Heading up Bronco Peak.

I haven't been up there recently to check up on how the new trail is coming along so I may just cruise out there sometime this week or so. Los Pinos Road is an easy route that circles the whole area.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/re...v/corral.shtml

Camping

Corral Canyon OHV Area offers two campgrounds with rustic conditions in a beautiful setting.

* Corral Canyon Campground has 20 sites with fire rings, a vault toilet and a hand pump with potable water.
        * Bobcat Meadow Campground has 20 sites with fire rings, and a vault toilet. There is no potable water in this campground.

We enforce the Pack-in/Pack-out policy for all trash and quiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. There is no camping fee at Corral Canyon or Bobcat Meadow campgrounds.

An Adventure Pass may be required for all vehicles parked anywhere on the Cleveland National Forest. The pass IS required in OHV areas. Please contact the district office to find out where you will need one in order to park.

I've stayed at both campgrounds and don't have a preference.

As I said before, there are a few other trails that you might be interested in checking out as well. On the way there you'll pass the Jacumba and In-Ko-Pah Mountains that have some old trails just north and south of the freeway.

In-Ko-Pah Mounatins

Jacumba Mountains

A little further west down the freeway off Japatul Valley Rd is Carveacre Rd, which is a very rutted trail that takes you up to Pancake Rock. This and a few trails around Corral Canyon make for a fun day.

Pancake Rock.

Just off Carveacre Road.

Hope this helps. Spend a weekend camping out and you'll find there's lots to see and do around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Borregowrangler View Post
          I'd be happy to tag along with ya when you come out here.
          Hey, thanks for all the great info! I might just take you up on your offer to hang out with us so we can see all the great trails you posted. I'll post it on our forum and start getting my ducks in a row. It won't be until January, so I've got plenty of time. Thanks so much! diane
          Diane
          SoCal to SoAz Transplant

Comment

So tell me about the Adventure Pass that is required. Is that required only on vehicles parked in the OHV area, (i.e.: tow rigs), or any vehicle using the OHV area?

Is the location in Pine Valley on Old Hwy. 80 just as good a place to pick up the Adventure Pass as any other?

Will we each need to buy the Annual Pass vs. Daily Pass since we'll be there 2 days?

Any info appreciated. Thanks! d
            Diane
            SoCal to SoAz Transplant

Comment

Adventure pass can be purchased by the day, so you would need 2.
              There is 1 trail that starts out of Corral Cyn campground, and it is a TRIPLE BLACK DIAMOND.
              It is short, but a tough trail.
              06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
              07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

I will be going up there sometime in the next week or 2 to test my rig. I hear from others that recently went up there that the hard trails have been basically paved with small rocks. Apparently its really really bad. I will take pics when I go, but usually the 3A connector at Bronco Peak is quite difficult. I have had some pretty good damage out on these trails including torn off axle bracket, u-joints and motor mounts.
                [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                  I will be going up there sometime in the next week or 2 to test my rig. I hear from others that recently went up there that the hard trails have been basically paved with small rocks. Apparently its really really bad. I will take pics when I go, but usually the 3A connector at Bronco Peak is quite difficult. I have had some pretty good damage out on these trails including torn off axle bracket, u-joints and motor mounts.
                  Cool, I'd appreciate knowing what you find out. Too bad about the paving thereof, hope it's not true. d
                  Diane
                  SoCal to SoAz Transplant

Comment

You will really like Bronco Peak/Corral Cny. They are best run in the rain, but dry is good to. Night time is a good time as well. There are some fair challenges and a lot of extra credit stuff to play on. Have fun and take lots of pics!
                    Here is a short video of random places I like to wheel. The first scene is the Notch. There are a number of scenesof rigs rolling through that obstacle and a ggod deal of the rest of the footage was shot there as well.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpati...7623307684825/
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Kurt, You know I typically don't like over produced rock crawling videos with the music drowning out the the sound of the engine, the steel grinding on the rocks, tires slipping and rocks flying. And I really don't like it when you can't hear Stuart claiming he just pissed himself, Steve yelling "I told you I was going to break something" or you crying "those azzwholes went in front of me and dug 40" holes". But I really do like that video. Nice job.

Comment

Purty cool video!! Thanks Kurt, makes ya wanna jump in the jeep and get going....
                        "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

That was pretty cool. I hope clifford doesn't decide to roll over & play dead like that red YJ. Yikes! d
                          Diane
                          SoCal to SoAz Transplant

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                            I was wondering if you'd made this trip yet and what you found? d
                            Diane
                            SoCal to SoAz Transplant

Comment

Working...
                            X