Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: John Bull Solo Run in the Rain

I feel like telling a story...so here it goes...

Yesterday I took a solo drive through John Bull east to west.

I attempted to enter John Bull from the left/center side of the entrance (most difficult, even though I knew it was not passable for me, I wanted to try anyway). Sure enough, I got stuck between three boulders and a hard place. First I high centered but I managed to reverse out...right onto a big ass rock that french-kissed my gas tank skid. I used the high-lift jack to jack up the wheels/vehicle and place large rocks under the wheels and managed to escape the gatekeeper. I decided to stick with the easy lines especially since I was alone.

When I reached the most difficult obstacle on John Bull, I took the line to the right. After a few different lines I managed to get through As I am exiting the obstacle my gas tank skid plate once again french-kissed a rock, this time on the passenger side crushing my exhaust pipe. Not feeling like jacking up the vehicle and stacking rocks, I used the winch and got myself out.

At the peak of John Bull I lit the grill and threw the pork chops on as it was time for lunch. To my surprise, it started pooring heavy rain drops and I was soaked in no time. I place the grill and chair under a tree and enjoyed the bbq.

For the rest of the way, John Bull became muddy and real wet and slippery (just the way I like it).

John Bull was real fun in the rain...very fun! Although I must say, I enjoy John Bull west to east because there is more uphill driving in that direction and more rocks to play on.

After John Bull I proceeded west on 3N16 to Dishpan Springs. Dishpan Springs took me 30 minutes to cross. Yesterday I realized that Dishpan is really a damn short trail with only one real obstacle. After I crossed Dishpan I hung out at Deep Creek for two hours but I had no luck catching fish.

DISCLAIMER: Offroading alone is a very dangerous thing to do especially on Most Difficult trails like John Bull where Tie rods are known to break and rocks & oil pans are known to mate. Knowing and accepting the dangers/risks, I took with me my spare parts/fluids/.45/extra water/skewers/extra propane/blanket/jacket and spices (salt,pepper,cumin,red pepper) incase I had to munch on Squirls for a few days and proceeded. I have been on John bull and Dishpan Springs more than a dozen times including in the dark so I felt pretty comfortable going alone. However, I would NEVER attempt to wheel a trail by-myself if it's my first time on that trail.

Blue Skys on 3N16

Thinking about which line to take...Decision Made

Poser Shot

Nice Picture Moment

Here come the clouds...

The main Obstacle - View From Outside

Line to the Right

Line to the Left...Decisions, Decisions

Sitting on gas tank skid and tail pipe right when I was almost out...Stuck!

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Thank goodness for the winch.

Always protect the tree. One time I saw some fool in the Toyota wrap his cable around a tree and snatch it back on the cable. I told him that he shouldn;t do that and he just smurked. I told him he'll damage the tree and that his line can snap. He said he does it all the time. That cable will teach him a lesson one day.

Lucnh Time

Started to pour

A lot of downed street on John Bull

Poser Shot

Downed tree on the trail, wasn't sure if it was there on purpose

John Bull in the rain is the way to go

Everything turns green when it pours

Comment

Beautiful Rock formation along 3N16

Rainging HARD

Planted Trees?

Hawk looking for her prey...thought my Jeep was a mouse

Beautiful Colors Indeed

View of Lake Arrowhead from Dishpan Springs

The Dishpan Waterfall

Great Flex Shot

Deep Creek

The Skys on the way home...weird weather...earthquake coming?

Comment

Nice pics brother, looks like you had a ball

Comment

Shant,

Nice pictures and report. When we ran John Bull a couple of weeks ago it was a dust bowl. I bet it would be nice the day after some rain. The main obsticle is much deeper and harder than pictures ever show. I had to strap an old black CJ through that same spot last time Glad you had a fun time.

Mitch

Comment

nice pics/ report......still have a small dent on the passenger side below the windshield on my cj6 from that tree and stump where your posing.........leaned against the tree making my way up the rocks there
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by 66cj6 View Post
              nice pics/ report......still have a small dent on the passenger side below the windshield on my cj6 from that tree and stump where your posing.........leaned against the tree making my way up the rocks there
              Jim
              ha ha
              if you'd learn to drive that CJ6 that wouldn't happen....
              of course, I hit the tree before you did and got my RF fender.
              wink**wink

Comment

Originally posted by jpflat2a View Post
                ha ha
                if you'd learn to drive that CJ6 that wouldn't happen....
                of course, I hit the tree before you did and got my RF fender.
                wink**wink
                you definetly got more "air" than I did

Comment

i need to get up there again soon. I love doing trails when its some what wet.. I hate dust! as for the hard spot, i must of got a good line cuz i walked right through it.
                  1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Great pictures! I like the one you took along the winch cable. Solos runs can be really enjoyable. Glad you went out prepared.

Comment

i personally enjoy solo runs more. You get to take your time and do things your way. rather relaxing. double edged sword though if you break down.

Comment

Nice pics! Is that North of Arrowhead? Would a rig with a 4.5" lift and 33"s not locked make this run, also not alone? Might be able to swing this run by picking the right lines and the driveing skills maybe?

Comment

defenitly doable but id get some rock sliders, and dif protection first..

Comment

Originally posted by InlandZJ View Post
                            Nice pics! Is that North of Arrowhead? Would a rig with a 4.5" lift and 33"s not locked make this run, also not alone? Might be able to swing this run by picking the right lines and the driveing skills maybe?
                            did it in my cj6 before I did all the mods. I was running 235/75/15 tires, a rollbar and sliders. I had a limited slip in the rear.
                            I needed a pull from a winch once and destroyed my exhaust, but other than that made it through relatively unscathed.
                            Guess it comes down to what's acceptable damage to your rig , and having others along is a must
                            Jim

Comment

and the good thing about most of the harder stuff on the bull is that there is usually an easy line to take and for those who want to step it up they can do harder lines. most of the bull's harder lines are on the left.

Comment

Working...
                              X