Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 24th, Upper Woodpecker

Well, it was a uneventful day for the most part. About 15 minutes after the meeting time, one of the group shows up and tells me that he passed 1/2 of our group sitting on the side of the road fixing a fuel leak and a melted ARB line. Another 10 or 15 minutes pass before they all show up with no fuel leak, and no ARB for the front of the FJ-40. In all, we had 2 land cruisers, one tacoma, one TJ, one Waggy, and one Scrambler.

Anyway, a quick run down Cottonwood Canyon, then Mineral Mountain roads, we hung a left into Upper Woodpecker. While were negotiating the first obstical, a group of two blazers (full size) passed us, only for us to catch up with them on the second obstical, and the third, and the fourth......so we opted to take a break and let them get far enough ahead of us that I didn't have to breath deisel exhaust all day.

About 1/2 way up the trail, I get word that the waggy started making some strange noises (was his shake down trip). Took 'em a few minutes, but they found the problem. All of the jam nuts were loose on the control arms. The guy who did the alignment yesterday apparently forgot to tighten them. F'in dork. The rest of the trail was pretty calm. On the road out, I hit a small step at a pretty good angle, which, just like last time, didn't work. The front end slid off and fell to the right just enough to make me think "oh s$!%", and the dog to stand up and look at me like I was an idiot.

We decided to skip the second trail we had planned for the day, as it was getting hot, and that trail takes me quite a bit of time to pick my way through (Upper Ajax is rated 4.5, last I heard). Instead we played around on Lower Woodpecker, which is where they held the rock crawling (rock-racing???) event last year. Then off we went to air up. On the way out I hear over the CB that the Waggy won't start (I was the first to leave the staging area), so a quick u-turn and I went back to help. Turns out that there was no control power to the starter, so we simply jumped it out with a screw driver, and told john to keep it running until he got home (Brandon was following him anyway, so it wasn't too big of a deal even if he did).

Since I was the trip leader, I didn't get a chance to take many pictures, hopefully others did. Here is a sample:

olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Sounds like a good time! Nice Pics . . . NICE ROCKS!!!!
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

yah dude, rockin' pics! looks like a perfect day
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Woodpecker

Wow it's been far to long since I got down to S. Az to run those trails. Nice shots of Woodpecker. I will have to get down there soon. Do you do azbackcountry? If so let us know when you plan another Woodpecker run. Eric@azexplorations.com
        EE

Comment

Working...
        X