Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: Wilderness First Aid

NOLS is offering their exceptionally valuable Wilderness First Aid course next weekend at the Manhattan Beach REI store.

http://www.rei.com/class/5638/session/7796

I have taken this course. It's phenomenal. I HIGHLY recommend this class. It's two full days of instruction, that WILL save the life of someone close to you. I have had the need to apply this training on several occasions, and I am very grateful for this knowledge. The victims I helped are even more grateful!

The fundamental difference between WFA and your basic Red Cross class is that "urban" first aid teaches you to Call 911, check the ABC's and stablize the patient until help arrives. Out in the boonies, item 1 and 3 simply don't exist. It's up to you. What are you going to do?

This class is not in-depth, and you will not be qualified to practice surgery or anything, but you will be taught how to keep people alive, how to transport them (even with neck injuries and head trauma), and how to improvise using whatever nature provides. You will also learn how to build up a genuinely useful first aid kit. This is practical, useful, real world applicable training. It's also pretty fun, and taught with a good spirit and sense of enjoyment of adventure, and not about caution and worry. Naysays stay home, this class is for the wild at heart, but mature in spirit.

Here is the official write up:
    "REI is collaborating with the Wilderness Medicine Institute of NOLS to offer a comprehensive two day course that will teach you the wilderness medicine skills you need to recreate with confidence in the backcountry. From the Patient Assessment System through traumatic, medical, and environmental emergencies, you'll experience a wide variety of topics designed to prepare you to act if an accident occurs. This is a 16 hour course over two days. You will have both in store classroom time and hands on practice scenarios. This course can be used to recertify a Wilderness First Responder, Wilderness Advanced First Aid or the wilderness portion of a wilderness EMT. No prerequisites required.

Skills you'll learn:

* Learn how to administer first aid in a wilderness context
    * Learn about the Patient Assessment System, patient exams, vital signs, history and documentation
    * Class addresses major trauma such as spinal cord and head injuries, shock and wound management in a wilderness context
    * It will also address less severe and more common medical issues such as environmental and athletic injuries
    * Learn about first aid kits for a wilderness context."
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Would love to sign up, but my schedule is booked for this week-end.
    Glad to know REI offers the course, will have to ck the schedules again. Thanks for
    posting this info.
    06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
    07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Can't you just picture a group of Jeeper's taking a class with a bunch of greenies?? Too funny!
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

I was trying to hold my tongue but you started it Roger. It sounds like something I would like to do, if it wasn't at REI!

Comment

Originally posted by calkid View Post
          I was trying to hold my tongue but you started it Roger. It sounds like something I would like to do, if it wasn't at REI!
          Ditto. Anyone else offering similar classes?

Comment

Yes, but it still costs $200. REI is not making any money on this.

Here is a comprehensive list of courses, dates and locations:
            http://www.nols.edu/portal/wmi/courses/
            Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by JJsKJ View Post
              Ditto. Anyone else offering similar classes?
              I can talk to a paramedic/SAR buddy of mine. I'm sure he'll do this at 1/2 that!

Comment

Working...
              X