Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Mottino Wash

I've been trying for a couple of weeks to run Mottino with Curtis and a couple others. I finally got the group together today for an awesome run in the Mountains. I met Scott and Lesa (avjeepfreek), Scott and Norma (Dezertdog), and Mark and Patty and kids, at the Valero Station in Lucerne. We drove up Hwy 18 to Cactus flats to air down and head to the Rose Mine to meet up with Curtis, and Mike, Sharon, and mom (Mr Green).

Cactus flats

We ran across 2N02 to Rattlesnake and headed north (down) Rattlesnake to the trailhead. As ART always describes it, Mottino is a great "fireroad".

The beginning is easy and deceiving.

Now the fun stuff!

Mark really flexed his spring-over YJ

All in all a great day. 90', clear blue skies, 4 sliced tires patched, a bent tie rod, 5 or 6 winch pulles, 5 or 6 strap pulls, and a broken rear leafspring. Perfect!!!!! Thank you all.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 06-05-10, 08:49 PM.

[COLOR="Blue"]Mitch good to hear you made it through the trail OK. It wasn't too bad huh. I'll run it next time. How may of the cut tires were yours. LOL [/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

I was suprised that I cruised right thru. Curtis and Mike did some spotting but I had no problem. No slashed tires for me. I did find a broken rear spring at Hwy 247 while I was airing up. It felt funny from the halfway point. Drove home 50 miles without incident. A nice fun run.

Mitch

Comment

Fun little trail isn't it, to bad my baby is out of commission for anther week or so. Would have been fun to hang out with you guys

Comment

Looks like a good time Mitch. Just a leaf, thank God no broken axles!
          :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Yea we only spotted Mitch on the first couple of obstacles and after that he picked his own lines and did great.

Scott(Avjeepfreek)did the trail with no power steering. That to me has to be beyond unbelievably HARD!

Scott(Desertdog) also made it through with open diff's.

Poor Mark with two flats. How often does that happen.

So thanks guys for a fun day.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Dave,

I actually brought spare rear axles just in case. But with the new front locker, never once used the rear OX locker. The automatic trans makes it so much easier, lots of hot clutch smells out there yesterday I'll be back!

Comment

I know you've been there several times before, but is this your first time driving the trail?

Comment

A few more Pic's

Lesa and I had a great time! Thanks to all for a wonderful day.

"I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

...and a few more!

"I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Great time!

Wow! What a great time we had.
                      Norma & I haven't been out on the trails in a while, and this was a great one to start with.
                      We had a blast!!
                      Couldn't beat the company or the trail.
                      It was sooo much fun getting through that trail in my Jeep.
                      I can't believe I bent the tie rod I just replaced! (The death wobble is back!)
                      Thanks to Mitch for throwing us the invite.
                      I'm gonna have to do this one again. Maybe double it up with Bullfrog!

And many thanx to Curtis for leading us through. We were lucky you are very patient.

Scott & Norma

Comment

Andrew,

That was my first time driving on Mottino. Won't be the last!!!!

Comment

And yet more pics!

Thanks Mitch for inviting Sharon and I. We had a great time and it was fun watching you master the trail.

While we were waiting for the group at the Rose Mine, Sharon took some cool B&W's:

It was a perfect sky, she got a great shot of the morning moon:

Desert Dog:

Mark:

Curtis making it look easy:

I had Sharon's mom, Louise, riding with me. She was far less stressed on Mottino than she was on the Rubicon:

Mitch did a great job:

It's a nice fire road:

Not posing, this really was the best line:

Mitch on the 'easy' line :wink::

Open diffs + skinny petal = success!:

Just looking for a good line:

Even though it is getting into summer on the dry side of the mountains, there was plenty of nice scenery:

There were some new lines that I didn't see the last time I ran this trail:

It was long day, but the trip was a lot fun with some great folks. Thanks again for having us along.

I got some video, but I am still working with it. I'll try to post up some clips soon.
                          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                            Mike,

I was surprised that I cruised right thru
                            Then you'd be the only one who was surprised. You've been more than ready for a long time.

Mike, Let me know when please. Maybe next Sunday?
                            Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Being sick sucks! I wish I could of joined you guys on this one. I really like that trail.

Comment

Working...
                              X