Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Springs, Snakes, and Mines!

I went for a cruise with Dennison today to show her some of the local trail sites. We headed out after grabbing some Subway eats and went to our first stop off Hwy 18 at Rabbit Springs Dry Lake. There is a neat spring on the north/west side of the dry lake and we putted up the washed out trail to the spring. There were several chuckars running around the spring area. What a peaceful setting.

Next we went to Lucerne and then north on Hwy 247 to check out a couple of old stone houses. The first one is right off Hwy247. The walls were made out of rocks, then wood pallets, and another layer of rocks. ended up about 2 foot thick. Another old home was around the corner. more to ponder!!!!

Next off north to Sawtooth Canyon. We played on a couple trails then went to "New Jack City" where there were 20 people out climbing the tall verticle rocks. Studs only on this hobby. Wow

Next we went another couple of miles north on Hwy 247 then east over to the "New Deal Mine". This is a cool little area with a short tunnel and a caved in area. there is also a cool arrastra with an old ford rear end that ran it still stuck in there.

Next we went back to OM7440 and then south to
    "The Anita Mine" On the way on OM7440 we saw a couple adult Chuckar with between 40 & 50 chick running thru the bushes! I have never seenthis many at one time!!!

Next we continued south to Joker springs. On the way we found a 4 foot Red Diamond Rattlesnake laying across the trail. Denni was not getting out to join me in the filming. This guy never even rattled! A beautiful snake.

We continued south to Joker Springs. More chuckar running around. We then continued a couple of miles south to the trail heading north to Quill Springs and the "Pure Quill Mine". We walked the whole tunnel system at the Tungsten Mine. As we entered the tunnel I noticed a swallow bird nest from years past still clinging to the tunnel wall. And as before there were chicks in it waiting for mom and some food. Very cool. We drove north to the end of the trail to the overlook. 100 mile visibility today. a truly spectacular day.

As we left for home we headed backto Lucerne and Hwy 247. We saw another snake, this time a small 3' Garter snake. Videos will follow. What an incredible day with blus skies and not one cloud in the sky for 95 miles of trails and 8 hours behind the wheel.

Some of the awesome flowers that we saw today

And this lizard trying to hide in a cactus!

Last edited by Mitch; 05-30-10, 06:31 AM.

great pictures as always! pure quill has such beautiful views up there. any water in the spring at that cottonwood tree?
    KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Great pics Mitch! So I'm guessing Red diamonds are the coolest of the bunch......That makes two that were "nice".....
      :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Great report Mitch. I may just have to buy a good camera.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy162 View Post
          great pictures as always! pure quill has such beautiful views up there.
          There are some crazy Motorcycle guys that have a trail that leads off the North side of that lookout point and goes down the canyon heading West!

I've seen pics on Thumpertalk.

I'm a chicken. I'll stick to easier trails when on my bike.

Comment

Troy: The spring just north of Rabbit Lake has some water (and 5 million bees), Goat Spring is damp, Joker Spring had a little water under the planks above the source, Quill Springs was damp. I expected some water at each location.

Chris: I've seen the trails leading off the top of the lookout, and they are scary steep!

Mitch

Comment

Hye Mitch,
              You guys have all the fun...
              I'm gonna have to learn that secret handshake.

Thanx for posting as always.
              Scott

Comment

Scott,

You need to put down the home repair tools and go Jeeping! You still get the secret handshake update every 2 weeks! LMAO!!!Still missing you out there.

Mitch

Comment

I sure am missing a great year in the desert. Great pics Mitch.
                  Check out .

Comment

Working...
                  X