Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Victorville to Apple Valley (Old Road)

Coming home from Oro Grande, Dennison and I drove the old road that was the original connecting road between Victorville and Apple Valley before Hwy 18 existed. I doubt anyone even sees this road as they drive Highway 18 only 50 yards away. A neat section of roadway with stacked rock sides. Historic stuff!!!

Mitch

That looks really cool, Mitch. Where's the entrance?

Comment

Julie,

The entrance on the Victorville side is off Stoddard Wells Road a block n/o Hwy 18 (at the narrows). You turn right just before the first old house. 5 minutes of cool right in town.

Mitch

Comment

If you stop and walk across rainbow bridge thats where the old billboards are written on the rocks.

One is the Victorville motel and rooms are $1.50 a night I think.

Comment

Mitch,

That's a good secret short cut when there's a wreck in the narrows. Well it was until today!

One other thought, it's a "shelf road" and you were able to drive it?
          Last edited by Roger; 05-23-10, 09:16 AM.
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger,

You would have laughed at the looks from people driving on Hwy 18. Kids pointing, people honking and giving thumbs up. Too funny.

As far as a shelf road....... There might be a few things that would surprise you

Mitch

Comment

That's too funny...That "road" was my first "trail" I did when I moved here in 94....not a mile from my house.
              :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

cool i always thought that road was some fancy driveway to a big home lol. ill have to take that road from now on when i go to meet up with you guys for runs
                KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy162 View Post
                  ...ill have to take that road from now on when i go to meet up with you guys for runs
                  I recommend we DON'T use the road unless there's wreck. Some government official will block the road if we start using it on a regular basis...

They will block it "for our own good."
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Went by there just a while ago, looked over and I did not see Mitch

But I have a question; once you got back to the 18 I guess you went over the curb at the 18 and then back towards Victorville?
                    Rich

Comment

Yes I went up the curb.

Comment

cool trail

Thats pretty cool! Its right next to where I live and by the pictures I know where its at. Can you tell me where the entrance is?

Comment

James,

Check post #3. 1 block n/o Hwy 18 off Stoddard Wells Road. Hop the curb. It's before the the first house.

Mitch

Comment

Something interesting with the pictures that afternoon, the old kiln chimney at the Cemex plant on National Trails Highway was blownup and dropped within minutes of my picture. The new location for the kiln is out in Stoddard Valley. One more landmark bites the dust.

Mitch

Comment

I went on the old road today. Was going WB on 18 and we came to a standstill @ Apple Valley rd.......Cars lined up over the hill into Victorville.

I managed to get to the old road, drove up the curb and off I went. I saw a wreck @ Stoddard Wells and 18 with all kinds of cops and emergency stuff and they had 18 blocked.

I dropped onto Stoddard Wells, went North to 15s to Dst and on my way.

Comment

Working...
                              X