Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Pleasant Canyon Loop/Death Valley

Courtney and myself, my friend Chris and his girlfriend Meaghan, met up with Mary and Dixie (Skittles) in Ballarat around 11 am. We specifically planned this trip on a Friday in order to aquire the World Beater cabin. After airing down, we began the climb. We stopped at Clair Camp for pictures and exploring,and talked to many people who were doing the same. At this point I was nervous that some people may have already taken the cabin for the weekend. But after asking, we discovered that this group of people were just day trippers. We made haste towards the World Beater, hoping to grab it.
    On the way up, I noticed something very odd, the trail that Dave Pruett had dozed to the Radcliff claims, was unlocked and all trespassing signs were gone... odd.
    When we arrived at the World Beater, the cabin was empty and the chaim was down to the trail that leads up to the World Beater mines. SCORE!
    We settled into the cabin and started the long climb to the World Beater mines.
    It is hard for me to describe how vast the area is!
    The steepness, the angles of the mountains, there are no pictures or words that could do this scene justice!
    The trail is safe, wide enough yet the angles make you think you are climbing to the top of Everest.
    A good guess would be that we climbed 1500 feet in 3 miles..
    Trams, mines, cabins and equipment filled this area.
    Coming back down was just as crazy, the angles.
    We settled into the World Beater for a good nights sleep. To my surprise, it is amazing how well a wood burning stove works. We stayed warm, made breakfast and headed up to Mormon Gultch.
    I had camped at a small, secluded camp site 8 months ago with Mitch (Great88) and loved this place!
    We arrived around 11 am, set up camp and went in search of the true "Mormon Gultch"
    I had read on another website that mormon gultch was being settled by Mormons when Brigham Young called them back to SLC for a potential war with the US government CIRA mid 1860s.
    Anyway word had it that the mormons had left a lot of cut wood in this area. Funny, when you know what you are looking for you will find it.
    We found stacks of cut lumber on both sides of a small trail that reached high up into the Panamints.
    You could see the axe marks on this wood.
    We took a couple of pieces back to camp and settled in for the night.
    The Next day we headed down towards chicken rock,
    Courtney had wanted to do "the corner" so it was on!
    Courtney rounded the ledge with confidence as did Chris and Mary.
    We made our way down to Briggs Cabin, hungout for about an hour and headed down to Wingate Road.
    Stopping in Ballarat Courtney and I met Rocky's father. The man was in his 90's and had stories for days.
    All in all, the best trip I have ever gone on so far!
    Thanks to Mary and Dixie and Chris and Meaghan for a great time!

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>
    Last edited by flatpoint; 05-16-10, 08:49 PM.
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

Comment

That's my favorite area! It's great to read you all had a wonderful time.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Thanks Roger, That place just gets better everytime.......SOOO much to see!

Comment

Great pictures Dave. Those bring back memories of our Death Valley trip. Especially Chicken rock. It’s quite an eerie feeling looking down and some of your shots show that.
          :hide:
          Check out .

Comment

Dave,

Glad to hear that you all had a great time. Very cool pictures.

Mitch

Comment

Thanks Mitch, We missed you up there.Chris, Megan, Mary and Dixie went up to the Cooper mine while Courtney and I hung out at the campsite...Will send you pics of that when I get them.

Comment

Thanks Chuck. Comming down after the bridge is a little switchback thats more hairy than chicken corner,imo. I was on the pass. side this time, so I "got it" up close....

Comment

Great pictures. That'll be the first trail I do when I finally get a chance to head out there.

Comment

Originally posted by flatpoint View Post
                    Thanks Roger, That place just gets better everytime.......SOOO much to see!
                    Same here. LOVE it out there.
                    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

Awesome pics Dave, Death Valley is an area I really look forward to exploring one day.

Comment

We really enjoyed the views !!
                        Especially the rattlesnake. (Sent Dave the picture to post.)
                        Sure lots to see up there and lots of fun trails.
                        Just keep wanting/planning to go back.

Comment

Mary...You and Dixie were the BEST!!! I'll try to get that pic. up....Courtney can prob. figure it out. Thanks SOOO MUCH for meeting us out there!!!!!!

Comment

Jason.....WORTH YOUR TIME!!!! Not too far out, and those mountains, the mines, the history....I'TS THE BEST!!!

Comment

Nice,.....

....whatta cool damn trip, thanks for sharing.....way cool pics too.....
                              John & Kristi

Comment

Working...
                              X