Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colorado/Utah End of May begining of June?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Colorado/Utah End of May begining of June?

I have a trip to Cortez, Colorado that I have to make for a friends Graduation. I will be in Cortez starting the 26th and then be free for wheeling and photography starting maybe the 28th or 29th.

I will have my 06 Rubicon and a tent trailer with me and am thinking of going up to Silverton area as well as possibly hiting some areas of Utah (Moab, Arches, etc) for wheeling and photography before heading back to SoCal. I have been to Silverton a couple of times but never wheeled it in my vehicle and I have never been to Moab so this will be an expedition trip for me.

If anyone is in those areas and would be willing to show or share with me the cool spots I would really appreciate it or if another SoCal local would want to meet me or caravan that would be OK as well.

Let me know...

Thanks,
    Katherin

I would LOVE to go, but can't get the time off. No loss really. That part of the country is pretty ugly. Nothing really worthy of being photographed. Better off just sticking to the highway if you ask me.

LOL!

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

I agree, no scenery out there...
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Moab Area

Consider taking doing the White Rim Trail which is in Canyonlands NP near Moab. You need reservations for the campsites but the trail is spectacular. Campsites are limited but in June there should be no problem getting reservations. Each campsite has well maintained pit toilets. I suggest doing the trail clockwise from near the Visitor's Center. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

I suggest spending at least 2 nights on the trail and taking your time to stop and enjoy the scenery. I did it towing my off-road tent trailer last June. There are only a couple of slightly "challenging" obstacles for someone towing a small trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by monamareejones View Post
          Consider taking doing the White Rim Trail which is in Canyonlands NP near Moab. You need reservations for the campsites but the trail is spectacular. Campsites are limited but in June there should be no problem getting reservations. Each campsite has well maintained pit toilets. I suggest doing the trail clockwise from near the Visitor's Center. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

I suggest spending at least 2 nights on the trail and taking your time to stop and enjoy the scenery. I did it towing my off-road tent trailer last June. There are only a couple of slightly "challenging" obstacles for someone towing a small trailer.
          This sounds great but I do not think that my trailer would make the trails trip and I am not wanting to travel trails alone to much.

Maybe I can find others in the area interested in going along and I will just park my trailer in a campsite for a couple of days and bring a small tent. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

[QUOTE=nwoods;164801]I would LOVE to go, but can't get the time off. No loss really. That part of the country is pretty ugly. Nothing really worthy of being photographed. Better off just sticking to the highway if you ask me.

LOL!

I know this is going to be horrible and I should just skip it but I need the punishment and this trip is it. Then I have to come home to reality and find a JOB - QUICK!

Comment

We can't join you, but we were in Silverton for nine days last August. I would recommend walking around downtown Durango if you have not done that. Really nice that they are spiffing it up.
              Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                We can't join you, but we were in Silverton for nine days last August. I would recommend walking around downtown Durango if you have not done that. Really nice that they are spiffing it up.
                Nine days in and around Silverton would be AWESOME! I really love it there in August which is when I have been there in the past. I have driven through Durango but have never really stopped for more then gas or food on the way to or from Silverton. I may have to spend a little more time there.

Thanks!

Comment

Re: White Rim Trail

I pulled an off-road tent trailer (Adventure Trailer) on the trail with no problem. I think I put the Jeep in 4WD only once and that was to get low range so I could go slowly.

Comment

I've also done the White Rim Trail pulling an Adventure Trailer. It was easy but truly fantastic scenery. There are several places to camp along the trail. Small campgrounds with 3-4 campsites each and a clean pit toilet. Reservations are required but in June easy to get. Two other places in Canyonlands National Park (near Moab) that are great are the Needles District and the Maze District. Both doable while pulling a small off-road tent trailer.

Comment

This is the trailer I will be pulling. Do you really think this low boy will make it on that trail? Is it more fire road then trail? I will do some more research and see what I can find.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for all the input.

Comment

I absolutly love that area & one of my best friends since we were 16 lives in Cortez. I just asked my husband last night if he wanted to do the Rubicon (never been) or go back to Colorado for vacation this year. He said Colorado! We spent 10 days there wheeling in Moab (Arches NM)& the Alpine loop out of Silverton. Most incredible wheeling on earth. Moab will be fine but a lot of trails out of Silverton or Teluride will probably still be closed due to snow. Some of those trails up at 10k to 12k feet still have snow in early August. We went late August, 1st part of Sept & got a snow storm in Silverton. I would go in a heartbeat if it wasnt so far & we take our annual vacation last week of August.

Comment

Originally posted by rurockin View Post
                          I absolutly love that area & one of my best friends since we were 16 lives in Cortez. I just asked my husband last night if he wanted to do the Rubicon (never been) or go back to Colorado for vacation this year. He said Colorado! We spent 10 days there wheeling in Moab (Arches NM)& the Alpine loop out of Silverton. Most incredible wheeling on earth. Moab will be fine but a lot of trails out of Silverton or Teluride will probably still be closed due to snow. Some of those trails up at 10k to 12k feet still have snow in early August. We went late August, 1st part of Sept & got a snow storm in Silverton. I would go in a heartbeat if it wasnt so far & we take our annual vacation last week of August.
                          I know you are right about Silverton but I just love it there and want to see whatever I can while I am close. I do a lot of photography so I am hoping to come home with some great shots and do whatever wheeling I can do.

Comment

Originally posted by RubiKat View Post
                            This is the trailer I will be pulling. Do you really think this low boy will make it on that trail? Is it more fire road then trail?.....
                            I would NOT take that trailer on the White Rim Trail. An Off-Highway trailer is OK, but the White Rim Trail is pretty rough, and your trailer might end up looking like this....

I suggest you leave the trailer at a campground in Moab and tent camp while you're on the White Rim.
                            If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                            KI6MLU

Comment

So.... How did it go? Mike's photos got me all nostalgic again.
                              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Working...
                              X