Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Willow Creek/Dishpan Springs/Rattlesnake Canyon/Heartbreak Ridge

My wife and I were able to get out for the weekend to run some trails around Big Bear and stay at my uncle's cabin. The main reason for this was to prerun a few trails I haven't been on for the SummerFest and Field Day event over at www.oausa.net. On saturday we cruised along Willow Creek Road and Dishpan Springs. The plan for sunday was to meet with a friend with his FJ and run Rattlesnake Canyon, Heartbreak Ridge (Pontiac Loop) and exit out through Burns Canyon and Yucca Valley.

Willow Creek Road.

Most of this trail was easy, although I did find a few tougher routes.

Dishpan Springs

This was the trail that had me worried. I wasn't sure if my Jeep could negotiate the "waterfall". Turns out it could!

Rattlesnake Canyon

Last edited by Borregowrangler; 04-19-10, 07:10 PM.

Heartbreak Ridge / Pontiac Loop

This is where we ran into problems. Sections of the trail coming down the hill were covered in snow. So we broke out the shovels and leveled it out the best we could. Because I was so off-camber from the snow bank, the sidewall on the front passenger tire couldn't hold up to the sharp rocks. I'm glad that when I come back in June the snow will be gone.

From here we continued down Burns Canyon and exited out Pioneertown Road into Yucca Valley. It was an awesome weekend and I can't wait to get back!

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Nice to see pictures of these trails again. BTW thanks for coming up and shoveling our snow. Looking forward to the BB trails this spring.

mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Dude! Shoveling all that snow with small shovels looks like about as much fun as a poke in the eye!

Great pics and it looks like you guys have some great memories from this one. Thanks for posting these shots, it is making me get off my butt and finish the last touches to Mr Green.
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

John,

Great pictures. Looks like we made a good decision about the "loop" part of Pontiac. You covered some ground that day. Thanks for sharing. Hope to finally meet you one day on the trail.

Mitch

Comment

Great pic's and report.I'm almost ready to take a trip up there,can't wait.
            Dennis and Tammy
            Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Great pictures!
              '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4.5" Deaver, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's, D60 w/ Detroit, D30 w/ TrueTrac, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE, Belly Up Skid, LED's...

Comment

I saw you just past Crab Flats but where was the FJ? lol
                Great day to be out on the trail.

Comment

Originally posted by GARhead View Post
                  I saw you just past Crab Flats but where was the FJ? lol
                  Great day to be out on the trail.
                  Oh, ok. Were you with the big group of Jeeps we passed? I had a guy on a bike stop me right there to see if I had any extra gas. That was on Saturday. The FJ met up with me on Sunday.

What trails did you run?

Comment

Working...
                  X