Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Jacoby/Heartbreak/Pontiac

Today Dennison and I met Curtis at Jacoby Canyon
    (3N61 Blue Square) for a day of cruising around Big Bear. We aired down and proceeded up Jacoby and enjoyed the beautiful morning. After a short way up the trail we had water at each crossing we came to. Water was running through the "Squeeze" as well as a section of trail 2 blocks long.

After Jacoby I had a quick stop in Big Bear to check on a concrete pour that I had sold. After a quick check of the job, I noticed the bad smell of brakes from my Jeep. I guess I drove from Hesperia with the Emergency Brake on a couple of notches. What a dumb ass. Much more power without the brake on! Next we cruised up Hwy 38 to 2N01 at the 8500' level. Some snow but melting fast.

From 2N01 we traveled to Heartbreak Ridge (2N61Y Black diamond). We drove the first part of the trail in dry conditions. I proceeded to get stuck by not paying attention and needed a tug from Curtis. We continued to "Pontiac Loop" for the fun stuff!

Next stop was the "Pontiac". We pounded through the rocks and a couple of short sections of some snow but it will be gone real quick. A couple of tough rocky sections and we came out at the top of the mountain. We visited the "Alan Rowe Monument" at the summit and checked out several mine shafts in the area.

We then headed back downhill to Heartbreak Ridge trail and headed back down the trail. We stopped at a secluded Arrastra on a side trail before parting ways. Curtis headed back home via a cool trail up to Hwy38 and Dennison and I headed back to 2N01 to 2N02 and then to 3N03 to Cactus Flats and Hwy 18.

Mines that we saw today

Top of the mountain at Pontiac Sluice

Rose Mine area

Judy Kay Mines off 3N03

Thanks Curtis for an awesome day. Great weather and 11 hours in the Jeep! Sure beat yard work.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 04-17-10, 07:42 PM.

A couple of cheesy camera videos. Nothing like Mike A or Mr Bash! Just a po-boy thing. One day......

Jacoby Canyon / water flowing

Shakey video on Pontiac

Last edited by Mitch; 04-17-10, 08:32 PM.

Comment

It was great to finally meet dennison, and a great day for wheeling. I have never seen so much water in jacoby canyon. You guys must do jacoby canyon in the next couple of weeks!! So thanks for a great day Dennison and Mitch.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Looks like a great day, to bad I was at work!

Scott
        "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Great photos and sure looked like a beautiful day to wheel.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Great photos Mitch. Nice!
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Fun stuff! I was there the day after you. I take it you didn't come down the other side of pontiac loop? We did and had to dig away the snow from the shelf road.
              Last edited by Borregowrangler; 04-19-10, 06:23 PM.

Comment

John,

I have only done the loop part once. I don't do shelf roads and I avoid that section. Mr Green tricked me into it once but not again! LMAO. I could see that the north facing side could hold snow for a while. It is always a great trail to run. Sorry we missed you.

Mitch

Comment

Well its a good thing you didn't come down that. This took some time.

Comment

That is where I stopped 3 weeks ago to much work and not to wise, to try and blast through it by myself

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                      John,

I have only done the loop part once. I don't do shelf roads and I avoid that section. Mr Green tricked me into it once but not again! LMAO. I could see that the north facing side could hold snow for a while. It is always a great trail to run. Sorry we missed you.

Mitch
                      Hey! It wasn't a trick! I truly forgot about that section... really... don't you believe me??
                      :devil:

Looks like a terrific run. I'd love to see Jacoby with water running. Maybe I can get up that way soon.
                      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

Looks like you had a great time!

I imagine that the storm today might drop some more snow.

Who knows when the north facing slopes will lose most of their snow. It could be June from the looks of it.

Christian
                        "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Working...
                        X