Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Moab/Rubicon Trip

I posted this in our NW section of Jeepforum. Most people I know who'll be going this year will do it in April, but we can't. I don't see many posts of people taking big trips lately, so if there are a few of you who want to go, but don't have anyone to go with. Nows your chance.

I got my leave in for my 1st real vacation in years. I will be meeting a coworker driving back from Airdrop school there. That 2 Jeeps so far. Dates are set in stone based on his grad date, but could change. Flexibility is the key to Airlift, or so they say!
    We are posting this invitation for a few folks with very reliable and trail competent vehicles and complete trail gear, supplies, and finances. We're not inviting anyone who believes in trail or vehicle carnage. We just want to run every trail while we can while there, not fixing or towing Jeeps, Trucks, Motorhomes etc.
    A week in Moab then a week between there and California. During this period, from what I can tell, there are no big events going on at either location. There is also some families from a KC club forum who'll be going that time period that I might see about hooking up with if there's only a few more of us.
    I'm open to doing trails on the way to each destination that other participants know about and want to do. Colorado, Nevada?
    I plan on towing my Jeep down and camping in my camper the entire trip
    Last edited by Rubiclone; 03-25-10, 08:08 PM.

Not sure if I can make it out to Moab but anytime you want to run the Rubicon in June let me know (well I'll be checking here ). I am only 4 hours away so pretty much any day I can probably make it (especially weekends). I'd plan 2 days minimum for the Rubicon.
    03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
    "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Cool, do you mind being sheppard?

Comment

Sure thing ... I think you said the keywords in the first post ... "not believing in trail or vehicle carnage"

Looks like you have rubicon D44s and 33s. If those are locked (rubicon lockers) then you should be fine. If you haven't done the rubicon before, just be aware that your skids and rocker guards will take a beating but not too bad. Body damage is always possible but can be avoided if going at a slow pace and taking care spotting at the tight spots.

The trail changes every year .. sometimes its easier, sometimes harder so one has to be ready. In June there is usually a lot more water on the trail which makes things a bit more interesting than the super dry days towards the end of July.
        03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
        "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Yup, 33s and locked. Sounds like we'll have a great time on the trail. No dust = no bandana, I can handle that! My old backyard was Big Bear. Some good rocky trails there.

Comment

I think there is a Dusy trip tentatively in the works for July, right Al? Moab is pretty darn hot in June....
            Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Hey Andy. I noticed your from Spanway WA. Most of my family lives in Puyallup and I'm up there all the time. Never done any wheeling in the area though. Is it good, what's it like? Any rock crawling? I'm thinking about taking my jeep up there this summer.
              Ron G

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                I think there is a Dusy trip tentatively in the works for July, right Al? Moab is pretty darn hot in June....
                That is correct. we are trying to work out a Dusy trip for July.
                1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by bigbearwheeler View Post
                  Hey Andy. I noticed your from Spanway WA. Most of my family lives in Puyallup and I'm up there all the time. Never done any wheeling in the area though. Is it good, what's it like? Any rock crawling? I'm thinking about taking my jeep up there this summer.
                  Ron G
                  Small world huh? We have a little bit of everything(Rubicon, Moab, Coyote Canyon type areas). I will take you up on a trail ride if you come up, but you may never want to leave! If you bring a street legal enduro bike also, I'll show you even more awesome trails. Check out my albums here
                  http://s10.photobucket.com/home/Andy971200/allalbums

Comment

Very Cool photo's Andy. I'd love to do some riding with you up there. I've been riding my whole life and I've got a 525 KTM Exc dual sport bike right now. I also noticed you have a red Ford Pick up with a Lance Camper. Same here. Also Red. What are the chances of that?

Washington seems like and easy place to get lost to me. Way more forest then I'm used to and I live in Big Bear. The trails look awesome though and they probably go on for ever.
                    I've got about a 120 mile range and probably need every drop on a days ride up there.

If your ever interested in riding Colorado, I go there with a bunch of Fireman every year for about a week. There's some great riding up there too. Probably still room. The Colorado 1000. Aug 14th to 21st.

Anyway, I'll let you know when I can get up there and I'll bring eather my bike or my Jeep. Which one should I bring? Thanks for the offer. Hope to see ya this summer.
                    Ron Griffo

Comment

Ron, you got the right bike and the right gas range for alot of trail riding. It's better to have street legal here as a few road miles allow you to connect to lots of trails. I have a DRZ400S with 12,000 miles, mostly single track as you saw.
                      A 1000 mile dirtbike ride? My ass hurts already. Sounds like a 2011 vacation trip.
                      Bike or Jeep would be your preference if between mid July till Nov.
                      Last edited by Rubiclone; 03-31-10, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks Andy. I'll give you a heads up a few weeks before I come up your way, probably about mid summer. My brother inlaw rides also. Hopefully we can get together for some trail riding. That would be awesome. Have a great time in Moab or on the Rubicon.
                        Ron Griffo

Comment

Sounds great. Looking forward to it and thanks

Comment

What dates are you planning for the rubicon, I can't make Moab and every else but would like to join you on the Rubicon.

Comment

We hope to make it there around Monday 21 June. It depends on when my coworker graduates airdrop school.

Comment

Working...
                              X