Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: 16 Year old boy missing in Anza Borrego

I just got this info in an e-mail form ci4x4. I am planning on heading down there to help out. If anyone would like to come please post on ci4x4.webs.com or let me know and I can add your name to the list. I am sure it is helpfull the them to know exacly how many people so they can plan groupe sizes. Here is the info:

http://www.stregalicious.com/gps-stu.../mickey-search

http://ci4x4.webs.com/apps/forums/to...ncy-?page=last

This is from Search organizers and part of their initial plan.

Doug, and I went out to the desert yesterday afternoon in an effort to determine the best meeting point for Saturday’s search. We concluded that the best meeting point would be the large parking area just NW of the intersection of Hwy S2 and Hwy 78. The parking area is approximately .3 miles north of Hwy 78 on S2 (Look for sign that says “No Dumping” - N33 06.068 W116 28.477). Please be at the meeting area no later than 9am. At that point we’ll take inventory of what we have in terms of bikes, jeeps, trucks, passenger vehicles. We’ll likely split the group into 3 large subgroups…….

Group #1 will consist of off road equipped and experienced bike riders/jeeps. That group will head over to Pinyon Rd./S2 and follow Pinyon Rd. to the area where the jeep was found near the bottom of “The Drop” (N33 02.963 W116 17.957). That group will canvas Pinyon Rd. in it’s entirety with special emphasis on the area between the Jeep waypoint and the blanket waypoint (N33 03.875 W116 17.239). That group will also canvass the main Fish Creek wash….

Group #2 will head to the Pinyon Wash……the parking area is approximately 5.2 miles in from Hwy 78……..likewise, the parking area is approximately 1.2 miles from the Blanket waypoint and is the most easily accessible path to get close to the blanket waypoint…….the Pinyon wash road is suitable for any 2 wheel drive SUV……parking space is very limited at the end of the wash……we will ask folks to pack tightly in cars and we may also need to shuttle some hikers into the parking area……that group will canvas the 1.2 mile stretch of the wash leading to the blanket waypoint and, depending on fitness level, some members of that group may also turn down Fish Creek towards Harper Flat for a few miles before turning around and walking back to the Pinyon parking area (the Fish Creek turn-off is about half way between the Pinyon parking area and the blanket waypoint)

Group #3 will drive to the Harper Flat Trail by heading east on Hwy 78 to Old Kane Springs Rd……a 4 wheel drive vehicle can easily drive in approx. 1.5 miles on Harper Canyon Trail (once again, parking is very limited)…….we will also ask this group to split in half with some members walking the same 1.5 miles up the no vehicle access wash which is slightly east of Harper Canyon Trail and runs parallel to Harper Canyon Trail…….after 1.5 miles the wash/road converge……..from that point it’s still ~6.5 miles to the end of Fish Creek near the Blanket waypoint which is why the expectation is that this group will walk up Harper Canyon approx. half way or less…… then U-Turn back to their vehicles since Group #2 will cover the other end of Fish Creek near the blanket waypoint……

I’m not sure how much credence to give to the blanket waypoint……I still think Ground Zero should be the Jeep waypoint and we should pay special attention to the area within ~3(?) miles of the Jeep waypoint…….remember, it was likely dark when the Jeep was abandoned…..so you have a 16yr old kid out in BFE who’s tired, cold, it’s dark, no flashlight, no map, doesn’t know the area, etc………what would/did he do?.......I’m thinking he would probably try to get up where he has some visibility so he can make a plan to hike out……..maybe he hiked up to the top of the Drop-Off or (?)……..what would he see from those vantage point(s)???…….the lights of Shelter Valley and/or the glow/noise from all the folks over at Ocotillo Wells (remember, this was Thanksgiving weekend and Ocotillo Wells was packed)……try to put yourself in his shoes…….is there shelter to crawl under to spend the night before heading out the next morning???...etc., etc….

The search area is immense/remote/rugged/open……. each volunteer assumes full liability for any/all risk and/or injury therefore it is imperative that each volunteer be consciously aware of their fitness levels……do not push yourself beyond your comfort level and come prepared with ample water, snacks, hat, hiking boots, sun block, etc.

We’ll return to the S2/Hwy78 meeting area at 6pm.

Strega is hosting all this info and GPS files/maps on his website (THANKS Strega): http://www.stregalicious.com/gps-stu.../mickey-search
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

From what I gather, Mickey has been missing since Thanksgiving.... probably now looking for remains. So to see just what happened to this kid.
    Joy and I will come, but I can't seem to get into the link. It requires membership or something.
    Last edited by Mtbikbob; 03-17-10, 08:51 PM. Reason: added info
    "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
    (Charles Wells)

Comment

That's right. He has been missing since Thanksgiving day. I can't imagine the pain of not knowing if my son was dead or alive. Amber Dubois' family knows. I think this will be a more thorrough search of ground zero than has been done so far. I they are starting their search again where they started I imagine they are pretty frustrated. I hope if nothing else our support gives them hope if not closure.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

BorregoWrangler posted a picture on another website. I would try to bring it here.... but can not seem to be able to. Here's a link to it.
        http://www.socalultimate4x4.com/inde...28824.html#new
        "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
        (Charles Wells)

Comment

I talked to a relative. There are some different stories going around I guess. From papers, to interent.

More or less, kid got into trouble. Was grounded. Got into trouble with PD. Riding his dirt bike some where he shouldn't have or something. They took his cell phone away, no calls to girlfriend, the basic restriction. Well, he took the jeep and just left and was going to meet some friends there or went with some friends.

They never heard from him. Found jeep thrashed, flate tire, etc. Who knows what happen? Did faul play happen or did he joy ride it because he was pissed? Who knows at this point.

Honestly, I hope he took it for a joy ride, wrecked the jeep, paniced and bailed with some friends and is hiding out until this blows over. Because after four months, he not there in the desert. Alive at least. Sorry to say.

So, I pray he is being a 16yr and is scared of dad and laying low for awhile.

If I could go, I honestly would. Wife's hours are number with this baby and I can't. For those going from MJR.. Thanks!

Comment

Problems at home...being on restriction...16 years old, usually = Runaway. I hope I'm right.
            I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob View Post
              BorregoWrangler posted a picture on another website. I would try to bring it here.... but can not seem to be able to. Here's a link to it.
              http://www.socalultimate4x4.com/inde...28824.html#new
              Here ya go.

Comment

I wish I could be out there to assist.

One of my interests in SAR is Lost Person Behavior. He fits the profile of "despondent" very well. They usually go remote for solitude, but not too far off. To quote William G Syrotuck in "Analysis of Lost Person Behavior An Aid to Search Planning"

"Contrary to many of those in the other categories, all despondents went upward to some distinctive location: an open area with a view, beside a pictuesque lake, or the top of a scenic hill. They tended not to go into underbrush. All were within the sights and sounds of civilization and, had they wanted assistance, were usually capable of walking back or calling out for help, with the likelihood of being heard."

In his case studies, there were not many in this category. So saying "all", should not be taken at 100%. The significance is the fact that he should not be considered "lost". He probably avoided contact with authorities to some degree (of course in his "fleeing" he could have been injured and unable to respond).

Of the several searches that I personally have been on (for despondent), they WERE avoiding contact with authorities. In one instance, they hid in the rocks above Chatsworth Park South while an LAPD and a LAFD helicopter circled above. They were not detected even with FLIR. In this case, about 3am, they got cold, and walked out. In 2 other cases, they had gone to a friends house. In 1 case, two girls hid out in a barn and was returning when we tracked them.

I'm hoping he is with friends. Safe and sound.

Comment

This is horrible, hope they find the kid alive and well. I dont understand why this is just now coming to light on these jeep boards. This would be a pretty devastating search.

I wish you luck guys
                  [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

After reading this article I am very doubtful that he is in the desert. I’m actually regretting that I agreed to go. I think it is clear that his parents do not think he is out there. They are not doing a very good job of cooperating with the police. They do not return phone calls.

Mother said this:

“We’re sure he made it out,” Perucca told East county Magazine, “but what happened after that? All the things that cross your mind…He’s very impressionable. There were no troubles with drugs or alcohol,” she said, adding that she has searched his room in the past to make sure. She believes he had help to steal the motorcycle, and doesn’t believe he would plan to runaway on his own.
                    Also he had a history of doing this same thing.

One week earlier, detectives learned, Guidry’s stepfather reported his motorcycle stolen. Guidry had taken it joyriding on Ortega Highway in a state park in Riverside County. When it ran out of gas, he walked out and upon meeting up with a park ranger, made up a story that he’d been kidnapped, but escaped. The fib sparked a helicopter search for the kidnappers, until the teen confessed to a Riverside Sheriff’s deputy that the story was not true.
                    Found this info at:http://www.eastcountymagazine.org/node/2826
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                      After reading this article I am very doubtful that he is in the desert. I’m actually regretting that I agreed to go. I think it is clear that his parents do not think he is out there. They are not doing a very good job of cooperating with the police. They do not return phone calls.

Mother said this:

I think there is more at hand here.

Comment

Well, I am going--

I'll be in a Jeep Grn 4 dr JK on 40s. Black wheels.

Hundy- 760 964 5123 cell

Comment

Ill be there in my blue doorless YJ. Ive got my MJR sticker on the windshield.

Here is FOX5 reporting this weekends search.
                          http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/ksw...,1010423.story
                          Those left standing
                          Will make millions
                          Writing books on ways
                          It should have been
                          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Let's recap...

Mom says she knew son took the jeep and was ok with it. Per email I sent her.
                            Media, friends, Sheriff say, he took it w/out permission as he was on restriction.

Mom said he went out with friends per internet.
                            Media, friends, Sheriff say he was on restriction for stealing a dirt bike.

Mom doesn't call the media to get involved.
                            The media finds her face book and gets calls from her friends.

Mom waits four months to ralley the troops to find her son
                            My wife wouldn't allow me to wait longer than a few hours!

Sherrif's office says she will not work with them on anything.
                            Mom says husband is home from Iraq. Now wants help.

What am I missing?

Maybe people should start passing out flyers at the local hangouts. Knocking on doors. Flush him out. If he is scared due to abuse in the home, get CPS involved. There are programs out there to help him if he has to hide for four months.

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post

Mother said this:

The last article blows my mind.

We were never told this!
                              Guidry’s stepfather reported the Jeep stolen but declined to file a missing persons report on his son, believing the boy would return as he had in the prior joyriding episode.He'd asked permission to go camping for the weekend with friends, and when his parents refused, he took off in the Jeep.

-and-
                              Parents said he had no cell phone, not they shut it off!
                              His cell phone had been shut off after his parents reported the vehicle stolen.
                              -and-
                              3 weeks later NOT 4 months like were being told
                              Media was not notified of the missing teen until three weeks after his disappearance
                              -and-
                              On Monday, November 30th mother filed a missing persons report. Would you wait 2 days?
                              -and-
                              They are playing the solder card that dad is in Afghanistan. He is a step dad! This is the same step dad who reported the jeep stolen and shut off his cell phone. That's why he had no cell service.
                              Last edited by Jeep4cern; 03-19-10, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X