Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: JV - Anderson to Means Dry Lake

Hi everyone. I am thinking of doing a day run or overnighter in JV. I would like to find a moderate trail from Anderson Dry Lake to Means Dry Lake, with maybe a cool vista to camp at in between. Can anyone help with any tips, or better yet a gpx file?

Thanks in advance !!

- Kurt
    Kurt T.
    94 ZJ, 4X4, 5.2, 31's, open diff's.

bump ..

if asking for a GPX is outta line, I apologize.

Any waypoints for nice wind breaks during the night?
    Kurt T.

Comment

It's not out of line. I think people just don't have what you're asking for... at least I don't! Good luck getting coordinates! (free bump).
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by SmkSignals View Post
        Hi everyone. I am thinking of doing a day run or overnighter in JV. I would like to find a moderate trail from Anderson Dry Lake to Means Dry Lake, with maybe a cool vista to camp at in between. Can anyone help with any tips, or better yet a gpx file?

Thanks in advance !!

- Kurt
        [COLOR="Blue"]Johnson valley is an open OHV area with many, many different trail routes going all through the area. Fom Anderson to Soggy Lake is a fairly wide road, but very whooped from ATV's.

From Soggy to Means take one on the zillion ATV trails east till you get to the lake. Again there is no distinct route through there, and being lost is normal.

The best thing is to scout your route on google earth and then head out there.

mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Kurt,

I didn't post cause I don't know of any nice vista spots between Anderson and Means. It is only like 20 miles apart. If you need spots near Anderson then I've got a few. Have fun.

Mitch

Comment

From Anderson, take Camp rock rd N/E until you get to the Tee intersection,

Turn Right and follow the trail until you see the cinder cone mine (can't miss it - it's a volcano that is mined for the rock) before you get to the mine turn right.

Follow this trail until you get to the end of all the volcanic flows. Park and hike north 1/4 mile and see The Rodman petroglyphs. It's worth the stop.

Next follow the trail east to the Powerline Rd. Cross the trail on a faint road. head S/E and work your way to Galway Dry Lake. You will pass near Bessimer Mine. DO NOT GO EAST OF GALWAY - THE MARINE CORPS BASE BOUNDARY RUNS THROUGH THE LAKE!

From Galway, work your way south to Means Dry Lake.

I hope these directions are clear enough for you. If you take the directions and study them on Google Earth, I think it will be understandable. It's a fun route. It will take 4 or 5 hours depending on how often you stop. It is a moderate route.

When do you plan on going?
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. Roger, your route sounds just like what I am looking for.

As for when I am going, I was thinking this weekend, but I ended up making reservations @ Oneil Park for an easy over night camping trip with my daughter. I am pretty much open any Sat & Sun, other than spring break, Apr 5-9.
              Kurt T.

Comment

Next weekend is the IDTT at Calico. Any weekend after that I could be available for this run. Let me know if you are interested in having me come along.
                MJR moderator
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                  Next weekend is the IDTT at Calico. Any weekend after that I could be available for this run. Let me know if you are interested in having me come along.
                  Heck ya Roger, I'd be honored!

How does Sat, April 17th sound as a tentative date?

Anyone else wanna join ???
                  Kurt T.

Comment

I can do that weekend.
                    Dennis and Tammy
                    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

I think the 17th would work just fine. With Dennis & Tammy going, that'll make it even better!
                      MJR moderator
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Heck Kurt,
                        If you want to camp out Dennis and I are up for that. We have a couple of spots we like out there.

Tammy

Comment

Sounds great everyone !! The 17th it is.

Roger, PM sent.
                          Kurt T.

Comment

Working...
                          X