Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: The Goldbelt mine and surrounding area

I've done the Goldbelt mine many times over the years
    however, today courtney and I decided to do a little scouting in the area...as many trails exist around this area that we have not explored..
    First, we cruised up to the Goldbelt mine..
    This area usaully gives up alittle bit of history with each visit, and today did not disappoint.
    Within minutes of arriving at the lower entrance of the Goldbelt, we discovered a mining rail spike.
    Minutes later, we found a small ore sample laced with a tiny bit of gold.
    With the winds high, and wanting to shoot, we headed South toward an old trail leading up and over a saddle
    to an old tungsten mine...on the way we discovered an old well and further up a mountain we found an old mineshaft.
    The trail leading to this mineshaft had not been traveled in what appeared to be many years..
    Next we headed up to the saddle and discovered a very old trail leading up to god knows where.
    We took this trail to the top of a mountain and it overlooked the entire Lucerne Valley..
    On top of this mountain were remenants of an old cabin
    We could not find a mine nearby..
    so we headed back down..
    A great trail to take..off camber, very old and steep.
    Worth the climb!
    We headed South once getting on the main trail
    and ended up back in Lucerne Valley passing Jim Hill's
    old home.
    Onto the 247 and home.
    Great day, a little cold but well worth the extra effort to explore this area further.

Last edited by flatpoint; 03-13-10, 09:43 PM.
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Dave,

Nice write up. Everytime we go out, there is something new just around the corner. Great find.

Mitch

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for posting this. I love the Ord Mtns. Great trail you found.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

You need to come and do it Roger! I'll bet you've driven passed it before.....Mitch, Scott and I have..I just got up the nerve this time to do it! Worth the view!

Comment

The black and white pic looks really cool.

Comment

can you get in the gold belt? ive heard the air is kinda sketchy in it anyhow
            KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Looks like a great day exploring!

I'll need to make my way to the Goldbelt mine.

Someday, I'll have to learn more about the monitoring equipment necessary to go into mines where the air is questionable. There are a lot of mines in the mountains above me in this area, but I suspect that the air quality may be an issue in many of them. I think that the mines in the San Gabriels are a bit wetter than they are out there in the high desert, so I'm more concerned about the air.

Thanks for sharing the adventure!

Christian
              "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

You can drive right up to the lower tunnel entrance. It's about 8,900' to the caved in shaft. Yea, the air feels "heavy" back there.....

Comment

Troy,

Before you get excited.......... Dave meant 800 - 900 feet in not 8,900 feet. LMAO! I haven't gone inside cause there is a little crawling involved. Maybe one day.

Mitch

Comment

i figured there was a typo lol/ i havnt been there but a couple friends went awhile ago and said it was near caved in and didnt go back far
                    KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Working...
                    X