Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Fry Mountain Mines

After some more research I found a couple more mines to explore in the Fry Mountains north of Lucerne. Dennison and I met up with Dave and Courtney and we headed to Camp Rock Road to air down.

It is amazing that there are so many mines in this area. I've been to dozens and still keep finding more to explore.

We took a side canyon off a trail that both Dave and I had run many times in the past. It started with a few nice rock obsticles that had me hung up for a bit but I worked it out. We then headed up the canyon. When the wash got real tight, Dave and Courtney took a trail up the hill towards the new mine while Dennison and I tackled the very tight twisty canyon.

On the way there

Some of the tight stuff.

The new mine area

Dennison guarding the tunnel

Courtney and Dennison

These new mines were scary in places! We needed Lesa to explore further.....

On the way to another mine, I thought I'd show off a little and just got stuck hard on my Warn gas tank skid and a big rock between the
    rear diff. This skid has really saved me some damage many times. Well it tickled the hell out of Dave to get to winch the Great88 back off this rock pile. I'm sure he will have quite the video of that later! Thanks Dave again for a tug.

Another mine in the area

Another 80' verticle shaft I found in a different wash.

Daves second rescue of the day!!!!! Buried to the axles in muck

Dave and Courtney thanks for another awesome day! Always too much fun with you guys. After the dry day we got dumped on hard coming back to Hesperia. Dennison and I stopped and saw Roger and LeAnne on the way home. Perfect day.
    Last edited by Mitch; 03-07-10, 09:34 PM.

This is why we like this area. You always find something new to explore.

Comment

Tammy,

There is so much to see out there. Let me know when you guys are out exploring. Maybe we an meet up and share info. Have fun.

Mitch

Comment

Nice pics Mitch!

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Mitch, looks like a cool mine - Fry Mts huh. I don't think my JK will fit through that canyon though.

mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Once again, it was an outstanding time private Pyle!
            Posting videos now, of us saving the trip, multiple times, god bless the mile marker hydraulic winch!
            p.s. Courtney says that if you practice hard enough
            you may (just maybe) be as cool as her one day

:cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Looks like you all had a great day exploring.

It's amazing how many mines there are out there!

When Roger and I were rolling around Calico on Phillips Loop yesterday, I was amazed at how many mines there were within 50 feet of the trail. I read that there are 500 miles in the Calico area.

SoCal is an unbelievably cool place for exploring!

Christian
              "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Dave and Courtney,

What a riot out there. The winch video is funny stuff for sure! It is fantastic to go out and have such a fun time, every time. Thanks again. There are more squeeze areas and small waterfalls that I want to try next time so keep the winch at the ready. This was the second time you saved me.

Mitch

Comment

Enjoyed the videos! When I'm ready to make a winch purchase, I think I will buy the [COLOR="Red"]Mile Marker "Hydrolic Winch!"[/COLOR]
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

A wise choice by a wise man!

Comment

Hey Mitch....I need a partner to cross over the mtn. to "complete" the trail......So who's up??????

Comment

You call that stuck?! Off-Camber, I have seen you in far worse situations than that. What did you do....see a big pile of rocks and decide to drive right over them? Oh my my. What has become of the safe and careful Great88 I used to know. Really, it is like you are a completely different person now. I just don't think I understand you anymore.:oops::wink:
                        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Brian,

It doesn't look like much, but I had 4 wheels spinning and was high centered. Plus it makes Dave so happy to winch me out of trouble. And yes you are right, there was a pile of rocks so I headed straight for it just like you showed me to. Hope I get stuck again this weekend, I have a few side trails to try for an upcoming run.

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                          X