Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Calico IDTT Stocker Pre-Run

Well Russ Chung will not be a IDTT this year due to another commitment. He asked me if I would lead it this year. I checked with Sarah and she was okay with me leading it.

So as to follow my Eagle Scout training I wanted to be prepared. Headhunter (Christian) joined me today and pre-ran the route. I listed it as Moderate because of Phillips Rd Loop.

Stockers should do fine as those of you who know the Headhunter's Jeep Limosine, you are familliar with how low it is and how much it hangs out the hind end. Well he made the loop with only one or two minor bumps on his rear end. I don't want to scare anyone off, a stocker can make this loop but it will be just a little challenging and you'll be very glad you did it. It's a good opportunity to see what you and your Jeep can do!

We will not be doing the Wall Street overlook as the road is now classified as an "Art Fire Road".

We will be going to Kramer's Arch, Tin Can Alley, Bimark Mine, lots of great back country trails and hopefully the Stone Cabin.

It might help if I had an idea how many would like to go on the stocker run, so please let me know if you would.

I've posted no photos. If you want to see the area, you better plan on going!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Originally posted by Roger View Post
    Stockers should do fine as those of you who know the Headhunter's Jeep Limosine, you are familliar with how low it is and how much it hangs out the hind end. Well he made the loop with only one or two minor bumps on his rear end. I don't want to scare anyone off, a stocker can make this loop but it will be just a little challenging and you'll be very glad you did it. It's a good opportunity to see what you and your Jeep can do!
    Sad to hear Russ won't be making it this year either!

Roger, nobody should be scared of a stocker run this year, Russ isn't leading it! He took a group of us stockers down Doran one year. That was interesting. Our Jeep was bone stock, Jimmy was there in a stock LJ, Scott (Dr. Dirty) in a stock JK... he really created some monsters!

Sounds like a great run, all those places are very interesting, and there's some beautiful views on those roads. I wish I could make it this year, but if I made it, I'd be on the "art's fire road" run.
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Rodger check that file i sent you. the trail labeled "crossover trail" should let stock jeeps over to wallstreet canyon without much trouble. the trail down to wallstreet from the stone cabin does have one wash out but stock jeeps might be ok there too since its in better shape then the past. if not, the walk is not far .the washout location is: 34° 57' 58.09" N 116° 52' 15.81" W

here is an old pic before it washed out

that trail to the cliff is still scary. one second your weaving canyon, roosting sand, and then the next second your on a 15 foot cliff followed by a 200 foot cliff.

arts fire road is the hardest thing out there right now. there is a bypass for where they took those pictures but i think id rather just take the spot where the pics where taken. the bypass is not much easier and while in the rain we were sliding off camber trying to make the bypass. ended up with a couple "OS" moments hahah. up arts fire road would probably be the most fun.
      KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy162 View Post
        Rodger check that file i sent you. the trail labeled "crossover trail" should let stock jeeps over to wallstreet canyon without much trouble. the trail down to wallstreet from the stone cabin does have one wash out but stock jeeps might be ok there too since its in better shape then the past. if not, the walk is not far .the washout location is: 34° 57' 58.09" N 116° 52' 15.81" W

here is an old pic before it washed out

that trail to the cliff is still scary. one second your weaving canyon, roosting sand, and then the next second your on a 15 foot cliff followed by a 200 foot cliff.

arts fire road is the hardest thing out there right now. there is a bypass for where they took those pictures but i think id rather just take the spot where the pics where taken. the bypass is not much easier and while in the rain we were sliding off camber trying to make the bypass. ended up with a couple "OS" moments hahah. up arts fire road would probably be the most fun.
        Hey Troy,

I just posted part of this reply in my other thread, but thought I'd put it here too for context.

This pic of the washout from Art's thread shows what we didn't think we could get my stock Scrambler through.

I think this section could be made passable in my Scrambler if we had a few hours and a couple of Jeeps with winches to move a couple of big rocks from the downhill side of the washout.

We did find a way around this by making a huge loop to the north going around where Wall St. Canyon begins.

This loop to the north took us to the trail that comes off of Ft. Irwin Road and goes to the Stone Cabin. We were running late with storm clouds forming by the time we finally figured this out and went straight out to Ft. Irwin Road instead of trying to find The Cabin. Eventually, I will get to The Cabin!

Christian
        "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

This trail run led by Roger will be a great deal of fun for anyone who has a stock Jeep.

The idea was to take my stock Scrambler (aka The Limo) with its 104" wheel base, sagging stock springs and long overhang in the rear and see if I ran into any difficulty with the route.

I consider trying a trail with my Scrambler in its current condition the ultimate test to see if "any" stock Jeep can make it.

I high centered it trying to drive through the arch and heard the rear end tap the trail a couple of times on Phillip's Loop, but that was it. There was nothing that I would consider "difficult" for any stock Jeep.

There will be sections that offer a challenge and a little "pucker factor" for some, but it probably won't do any damage to a stock Jeep if you carefully drive a good line. Don't hesitate to ask for someone to spot you through anything that feels uncomfortable and you'll be fine.

Christian
          "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

you guys are gonna have a blast! Calico is so beautiful and a real offroad adventure!
            KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

I agree with christian. If the Limo can make it thru on 29s, any stock Jeep with a carefull driver can make it thru.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I ran Phillips loop about 15 times while I was stock with no problems. As long as you are careful have someone spoting, you will be fine. It is a really fun and senic trail for a stocker.
                I wish I could make it out there that weekend. Have fun

Chris

Comment

Working...
                X