Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Cakewalk + Bullfrog = CakeFrog

Today a few of us enjoyed the sunshine and headed for Coyote Buttes to run the Bullfrog and/or Cakewalk trail. We couldn't really keep to the original routes very well. There were all sorts of flags, stakes, signs, pickets, streamers, ribbons, etc. There's about 20 routes flagged one way or another by various groups. Even the RC'ers had their own course set up in one area! But we had a blast and made it through and back. Al (the_al_mighty) proved that you can take on darn near anything regardless of not having lockers. Mike (Deepwater) was in great form all day with his sweet 2door JK on 37's, and MJR's silent partner Young came along in his super capable and fun looking little Toy. Could not have asked for better weather. I got a bit of sunburn!

Photos and a couple of short video's posted here:
    SmugMug

Quick video of Mike testing his bumper:
    http://nwoods.smugmug.com/gallery/11...178_nR4hr-A-LB
    Last edited by nwoods; 02-28-10, 11:09 PM.
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Nathan,

Look like you had a fun run. The kids faces tell it all. We could hear you guys back and forth from Ord Mountain where we were. Interesting lines running some obsticles in reverse like the V-notch.

Mitch

Comment

WOW Nathan. That first picture is amazing!
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Looks like a fun run Nathan, from the pix I think you ran most of the trail(s). I need to get out there again soon.

That weekend we were in Arizona rolling over a few rocks, in one of Arizona's OHV areas.

mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Nathan,

Outstanding photos! I especially like the yellow wrangler.

I really appreciate you spotting us through the interesting sections saved a lot of paint.

I made a couple more stops and got the steering drag link dialed in finally which kept the stability control system from nagging at me.

Looks like I beat your post by a couple of minutes, I just needed to get it out there before I the work week make me forget.

Mike
          "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Cool picture Nathan. I tryed this line one time but my spotter walked off the job.[/COLOR]

Comment

Great day on the trail. Nathan and Mike chose all the right lines, all I had to do was follow. Young made everything look so easy. Here is a little video from the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbhI0CgDFps

Thanks again......

Comment

Al,

Great video work and editing, very steady. Glad you got some good footage of Nathan, the leader seldom gets to be in the shots.

Was fun jeeping with you all.

What model camera were you using? Either you were holding it rock steady or its image stabilization works really well.

Mike

Comment

Man I had a hard time spotting your JK. Combination of bumpsteer, significantly wider track, and those soft grippy tires. I noticed that bumpsteer on a few other obstacles. Has it bothered you much when you drive?
                  Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                  Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                  HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by Deepwater View Post
                    What model camera were you using? Either you were holding it rock steady or its image stabilization works really well.

Mike
                    I use a HD Panasonic camera. I really like it.....

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                      Man I had a hard time spotting your JK. Combination of bumpsteer, significantly wider track, and those soft grippy tires. I noticed that bumpsteer on a few other obstacles. Has it bothered you much when you drive?
                      Haven't noticed bumpsteer. Its more bump wiggle, i.e. the jeep moves side to side when the suspension cycles. Caused by the higher angle on the track bars from being lifted. I suspect that what you are seeing is "rock" steer. The bigger tires spaced further out tend to follow the rock edges more. But I never see it except in those excellent videos so can't really say.

I wish I had more throttle dampening. I give it a little throttle and the torque convert grabs and I lurch up the obstacles.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X