Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Orari Gorge,

This was a great day out organised by the Canterbury Jeep Club with some quite varied scenery from native scrub to wide open grasslands.

After figuring it was going to take about an hour and a half to get to the meeting point in Geraldine we headed off with a full tank of gas and supplies enough for lunch and snacks.

We were pretty much first to the meeting point with others soon to arrive with the news that the planned trip leader, Kevin was laid up crook but confidence was high that we could find the way without him!

This trip also provided the opportunity to try airing down the tires. This was a first for me, the ARB deflator is a nice bit of kit with machined brass fittings that allow you to extract the valve, keep it captive in the fitting and slide a collar backwards anad forwards to let the air out at a great rate. With the collar forward the air pressure can be read on the guage. I just dropped the tires form the standard 35psi to 25 and boy what a difference. The Jeep had never really been short on grip but the ride comfort was great with much less vibration and undoubtably less work for the shocks also.

Ironically the tracks seemed much better maintained on the first station ($10 fee) than the second ($20 fee) but this could have been due to the route we took or the more rocky terrain. All made for good driving and some nice shots. The old musterers' quarters were really interesting with thier ancient pots and pans, cobbled together draft stops, felt like I was visiting Shackleton's hut (an early Antarctic explorer whose preserved hut remains at the South Pole.)

Lunch was in a nice sheltered spot and a good chance to chat to everyone.

As mentioned the second farm had the more interesting tracks with some rocky sections and some ruts but nothing too challenging and the crossing of the Orari river at the end provided the perfect finish.

Once we had paid out second gate fee and dealt with a small fluid leak on one of the Cherokees (great having some mechanics along on the trip)it was time to air back up. The new ARB onboard compressor did a great job, taking roughly just 30 seconds to air each tire back up to 35psi.

All in all a great day and a chance to see some country not normally accessible to the general public.

More pictures from the day at:
    http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/a...%2010/?start=0

That's really gorgeous country you have down there. Nice photos.

Mike
    "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Awesome. I don't think I could stand to own anything but a Jeep if I live there. Thanks for sharing this with us.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Nice Pics Tycho! You have to know that every post is a "Come Visit New Zealand" advertisement for us. For me personally, it's a "Hey! When are you gonna get your @$$ back down here?" ad!

Sigh, I'm working on it....

As usual, great additional pics in the PhotoBucket. Nice butterfly/moth pic. The puppy is adorable! Is it yours?
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Hi Mike,

Yes you and Sharon need to get your A$$'s back down here

The puppy was at the last farm where we stopped to pay the acces fee and fix the Cherokee. Enjoying its few weeks of pet life before becoming a working sheep dog.

Comment

Do you have to pay to wheel everywhere or just in that area?
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Man, looks like Montana (and that's a good thing). Very pretty!
              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

WOW. I have no words. AWESOME.
                "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                (Charles Wells)

Comment

"Do you have to pay to wheel everywhere or just in that area?"

Howdy,

Some privately owned farms charge access fees that go towards maintaining tracks plus also I suspect to limit numbers through. With some farms you need to collect keys etc to gates and organise well in advance ehich I'm sure is the same with some of your ranches etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X