Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russ Chung
    replied
    The tree planting will begin the last weekend of March and continue for seven weekends; ending the second weekend of May, subject to the weather and how quickly the snow melts. There will also be some tree planting during the week, but those days are usually filled by clubs and organizations, whereas the weekends are for volunteers from the general public. The planting ends by 1pm, so you can stay up there and do some wheeling if you'd like.

Leave a comment:

• Jason
    replied
    I did this last year as well. Depending on when they do it, I may make a weekend trip out of it this year.

Leave a comment:

• Roger
    replied
    I did this last year and really enjoyed it. I'm going to pass this year.

Leave a comment:

• OU812
    started a topic Organized Event: Forest Aid tree planting

Forest Aid tree planting

This is part of an e-mail that I got from Forest Aid today. They called me last week to tell me they were planting in Fawnskin this year. I plan on spending a weekend or two up there this year.

Greetings from the San Bernardino National Forest Association and TreePeople! Forest Aid is now preparing for our 2010 planting season and we plan to build on the great success from 2009. A BIG thank you to all of the Forest Aid volunteers who embarked on last year's journey to restore the fire-destroyed areas of our National Forest. These individuals and groups represented the varied regions of Southern California, and thousands of volunteers came out to make sure all 20,200 trees were planted, and planted well!

Forest Aid's success is due to a team of committed people and organizations. This partnership involves three organizations: TreePeople, the San Bernardino National Forest Association (SBNFA), and the U.S. Forest Service. Each organization brings a unique set of skills, all sharing a common vision to provide opportunities for people to connect with the forest. By working together, we've created a wonderful community spirit and have also achieved great success.

The Forest Aid team hopes to see you up on the mountain in 2010. Preparations for the spring season - at the end of March - are in full swing, and this year we plan to exceed our 2009 success and plant 25,000 trees from Lake Arrowhead to Big Bear.

We cannot do this alone! Please visit www.forestaid.net to learn more about the program, you can also view our online calendar and register for upcoming Planting Supervisor trainings in February and March.

Best wishes for a wonderful new year,

David Tankersley, Regional Manager
    TreePeople

Alison Bates, Deputy Director
    San Bernardino National Forest Association

Get Trained!
    Do you want to help reforest fire-damaged areas? Are you good with people? Do you want to teach others proper high-elevation planting techniques?

Reforestation Supervisors manage groups of volunteers and show them the right way to plant trees to ensure their survival.

Requirements: You must be at least 16 years old to be a Reforestation Supervisor. You must attend a free weekend training and one follow-up planting for additional mentoring. After that, we'll put you on our contact list for Reforestation Supervisor opportunities for Forest Aid. See our calendar for upcoming training dates.

Benefits: Forest Aid t-shirt, name badge and the positive feeling of helping the forest.

Reforestation Supervisor Trainings
    February 27 and 28, Lytle Creek Ranger Station
    March 6 and 7, Big Bear Discovery Center

Working...
X