Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: East Johnson Valley Mines

[COLOR="Blue"]For anohter chapter in Gulliver's travels I checked out some local mines in the east side of Johnson Valley. There are a few more out in this area but maybe on another trip.

The first one was pretty cool with lots of stuff inside. The original mine looks like it was worked many years ago, maybe in the 50's.

The second site, neat Emerson Dry lake, also looks like the same era...ie. an couple old Cadalac's junked there. This one looks like a mill site, as there are no mine shafts in the area. Possibly they chose this site for the water that collects in the dry lake in the winter months, for use in processing the ore.

On the way to the Blue Ribbon mine - I thought - I started going up the exit to Outer Limits. This looks like a pretty cool trail, but not in the JK.

On the way out there was a temporary city set up on Means dry lake for the KOH event next weekend.

The last site is the Jim Hill mine. It is very short - maybe only 60 ft deep, but wood lined. Mitch has the history on this one.

Was a nice day to roam this portion of the Mojave desert.

MK[/COLOR]

Slideshow
    http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

A few pix.

Dry Lake

Giant Rock

Area Mine

Nice car

Emerson Mill site

Cad. Year anyone??

Marines out playing in the mud.

Emerson DL

JV sand dunes

KOH main camp

Jim Hill mine

Last edited by mkjeepers; 02-06-10, 12:47 PM.

Mike,

Was the first one 10 miles north of Giant Rock, straight as an arrow north? If it was, it's the Los Padres Mine. Sealed up for years and leased for 20 years by Lawence Livermore Labrotories as a seismic station. It door was breached just 4 weeks ago and quickly vandlized. I have not been inside yet.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
      Mike,

Was the first one 10 miles north of Giant Rock, straight as an arrow north? If it was, it's the Los Padres Mine. Sealed up for years and leased for 20 years by Lawence Livermore Labrotories as a seismic station. It door was breached just 4 weeks ago and quickly vandlized. I have not been inside yet.

Mitch
      [COLOR="Blue"]Yes that is the mine site. I thought it was the Los Padres mine. Too bad about the breaking in and destruction of the seismic equipment.

Do you have any info on the Emerson mill site?

MK[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

The Emerson Mine was originally prospected in 1923 by L.S. Emerson. He also built the mill that you saw. The Emerson Gold Mine was in operation from 1927 to 1938 producing only a small amount of gold.

The Los Padres Mine (or Lost Padres Mine) had a twenty stamp mill at one time from the teens and twenties and was closed by 1940.

Mitch
        Last edited by Mitch; 02-07-10, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Mitch,

Why did Mike post to Mike on your last thread??? LOL!
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Mike,

The Emerson Mine was originally prospected in 1923 by L.S. Emerson. He also built the mill that you saw. The Emerson Gold Mine was in operation from 1927 to 1938 producing only a small amount of gold.

The Los Padres Mine (or Lost Padres Mine) had a twenty stamp mill at one time from the teens and twenties and was closed by 1940.

Mike
            [COLOR="Blue"]Mitch
            Good info on the area. I didn't see any mines near the Emerson mill. Do you know that location?? As far as the LP mine is that going to stay adandoned, do you know?

Mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Roger,

What are you referring to?

Comment

Mike,

Try these 2 spots.

34 26 34.29n
                116 26 47.74w

34 25 36.80n
                116 26 24.35w

Several shafts and a couple of tunnels in that area

Happy hunting.

Mitch

Comment

Roger,

What are you referring to?
                  Nice editing job Mitch - as if it would go unnoticed:
                  Last edited by great88; Today at 05:05 PM.

Did Sam Adams help with the original post?? HA!
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                    Nice editing job Mitch - as if it would go unnoticed:
                    Last edited by great88; Today at 05:05 PM.

Did Sam Adams help with the original post?? HA!
                    LMAO,love Sam Adams,Capt.Morgan,Coor's,JD,and ............
                    Dennis and Tammy
                    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

I quit drinking 2 months ago so that's not the reason I typo!

Mitch

Comment

I quit drinking 2 months ago so that's not the reason I typo!

Mitch
                        Mitch,everybody has a senior moment sometime
                        Dennis and Tammy
                        Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

I have been looking everywhere for history on the Los Padres mine! Thank you! Where did you find this info, if you don't mind.

Going there Thursday with the State Geologist who is probably bulldozing the entrance if no bats or other life is found. :-(

KOH was insane, sounded like a freeway over there. LOL!

Patty

Mike,

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Patty View Post
                            I have been looking everywhere for history on the Los Padres mine! Thank you! Where did you find this info, if you don't mind.

Going there Thursday with the State Geologist who is probably bulldozing the entrance if no bats or other life is found. :-(

KOH was insane, sounded like a freeway over there. LOL!

Patty
                            why are they bulldozing this mine? do you know what other mines are being targeted?
                            KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Patty,

Try this link for a short paper about the Lease on this property. I have been inside 75 mines and have seen a bat or two in 5 mines total. The "bat habitat" thing is a complete joke and another waste of funds and money. This is just a way to make the touchy feely people feel better about them selves. Plus it keeps us out of mines on our public lands, protecting us from ourselves. Enough of my rant.

I hope that I get out there before it is destroyed.

Troy,

All of the mines on public lands are set to be destroyed at some point. Go out and see everyonethat you can, while you still can.

Everytime I write to our Reps or Senate I remind them not to screw with our public lands and to quit wasting time and money on destroying these sites.

Mitch

archives.slc.ca.gov/Meeting_Summaries/1994.../11-15.../111594C25.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X