Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Alvord Mine Redux

After having been inspired by MKJeepers extensive mine explorations I made a last minute decision to go out and explore the Alvord mine the Saturday before the big storms came in.

This mine is about 15 miles East of Calico off the 15. The mine turned out to be quite spectacular with large chambers (stopes) where the ore had been excavated.

The mineralized areas occurred in large veritical seams that were very fractured. This resulted in a lot of fallen rock in these areas which makes them dangerous.

The "gate keeper" house at the entrance to the mining property.

The mill foundations and leaching tanks. From the red staining below the tanks I would guess that some of the cyanide solution has leached out over time.

From Mikes pictures it looked like he had explored the lower level. I elected to climb up the bulldozer trail to the upper level and squeezed into the portal up there.

Very appropriate. Not a place for the careless

This mine seemed to have much more protection for the unwary than most. The 2 shafts that I encountered inside were fenced off.

Several very nice well preserved ore chutes.

One of the mineralized seams showing that copper was here. The seams were quite spectacular showing a large range of mineral and crystalization.

After exploring the tunnels I continued up the trail to the top and discovered extensive quarrying and tunneling up there. Looks small, but you could drive a truck in there.

A shaft into the upper chambers.

View down from the top with my jeep in the lower corner.

I only explored a fraction of what is here and will be coming back again to see the rest of it. Hopefully the rain hasn't loosened more of the roof.

Mike
    "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Mike,

Great write up on the Alvord. The digging was quite extensive and looks like an interesting place to explore if you are careful. Might see this one Sunday.

Thanks for the report.

Mitch

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]These are some really nice tunnels. The lower tunnel seemed a bit more extensive then the upper. They are worth the time to check out though.

Thanks for sharing Mike.

mk[/COLOR]

Comment

hey that does look pretty cool. We were up in that area just this past weekend (my first time wheelin it). Who would think driving by those hills they're so many holes in them!?

Comment

Working...
        X