Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Anza-Borrego after the storms.

I always enjoy heading out to the desert after a storm so joined some guys on saturday for a day out in Anza Borrego. You know you're having a good time when you get stuck or break something every now and then. We had a good time! With the weather the way it was around town, I wasn't sure how it would be out over the desert. However, we were greeted with blue skys and beautiful conditions. All of the washes had been, well, washed out. There was no dust as we had to cut new trails through the canyons and washes that had been smoothed out by all the water.

I had been running in 2WD the whole time until I came upon a section of very soft mud/sand in Arroyo Seco Del Diablo Canyon. I had just made it out when the FJ and one of the Wagons got stuck. A few tugs with the recovery straps had them out in no time. However, I would still not finish this run unharmed...

A lot of the rocks down past Diablo Dropoff had been filled in with sand so it was easy going in Broken Shaft Gultch, I guess is what it's called now. After coming out Split Mountain we got fuel down the highway and then headed out to Devil's Slide in Ocotillo Wells OHV Area. There was lots of water and mud that had to be dodged along the way. When we had all lined up on the dune I noticed that something wasn't quite right with my Jeep. The front right spring shackles had been busted off. So with a little help from the High-Lifts I took one of the good shackles from the driver's side to support the passenger side. With the strength of the shackles now cut in half I limped on out to the 78 and made it back home without any further issues.

Those canyons sure are beautiful. Gotta get back out there soon. Thanks for sharing.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Time to upgrade to warrior shackles! You posted some great pictures!
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

we were out for the Poker run with Corva that day and passed you guys as the Waggy was getting yanked out. Conditions were great and we also blazed some new trails in the smaller hills coming off the tops. made for steep decent and hairy situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Borregowrangler View Post
          I always enjoy heading out to the desert after a storm so joined some guys on saturday for a day out in Anza Borrego. You know you're having a good time when you get stuck or break something every now and then. We had a good time! With the weather the way it was around town, I wasn't sure how it would be out over the desert. However, we were greeted with blue skys and beautiful conditions. All of the washes had been, well, washed out. There was no dust as we had to cut new trails through the canyons and washes that had been smoothed out by all the water.

I had been running in 2WD the whole time until I came upon a section of very soft mud/sand in Arroyo Seco Del Diablo Canyon. I had just made it out when the FJ and one of the Wagons got stuck. A few tugs with the recovery straps had them out in no time. However, I would still not finish this run unharmed...

A lot of the rocks down past Diablo Dropoff had been filled in with sand so it was easy going in Broken Shaft Gultch, I guess is what it's called now. After coming out Split Mountain we got fuel down the highway and then headed out to Devil's Slide in Ocotillo Wells OHV Area. There was lots of water and mud that had to be dodged along the way. When we had all lined up on the dune I noticed that something wasn't quite right with my Jeep. The front right spring shackles had been busted off. So with a little help from the High-Lifts I took one of the good shackles from the driver's side to support the passenger side. With the strength of the shackles now cut in half I limped on out to the 78 and made it back home without any further issues.

I carry spare U-bolts, and when I broke my shackle on the Toy, I stuff one in, tighten down, and drove on home. Just an idea for a quick fix, Kevin.

Comment

Look,s like a purty cool place!! Thanks for the pic,s and report..Geeb
            "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Working...
            X