Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Miller Canyon Snow Run

Met with some buddies today to go tackle the snow. We met at the McD's on HWY 138/Lake Silverwood and oh boy were ther Jeeps/Yotas/4x4's everywhere.

The plan was to go up Miller Canyon through Willow Creek to Devil's Hole to catch the two fish that we are allowed.
    We knew Willow Creek was going to be impassable but we wanted to try anyway We also wanted to test out my new winch before we needed it in a sticky/real emergency type situation. I've been reading up on winching tips.

The beginning of Miller canyon was a brieze. As we got closer to the top, the snow kept getting deeper and slicker, as we were hoping. We got stuck at two locations.

The first, we got ourselves through. We doubled the tow strap around a tree, then we doubled the winch line with a snatch block and pulled two stuck jeeps out at once because we HAD TO. Great Test, winch performed great. The second time we got stuck it took us quite some winching time to get out and we used the same tactic to get two Jeeps out at the same time.

We decided to turn around at this point because it was already three oclock and we were not going to get through. We headed over to a flat area and we set up our lunch spot.

From now on we are calling our offroading trips "Barbeque Trips with some difficult terrain crossing" LOL....that was a joke.

Miller Canyon has lots of snow between two or three feet deep towards the end of the trail (west to east). If you have good tread on your 33" tires, you'll be juuuuust fine. As for me with my racing slick 33" pro comp extremes and open diffs, impassable. Every Rhino UTV that past us kept turning around and comoing right back down. I'm not sue how bad it is at the very top but this should give you some idea oif the trail condition for the next week or two until the snow starts to melt down.

Enough with the crap, here are the pictures.

Met at the east end of Lake Silverwood where Miller Canyon and Pilot Rock Road Meet.

Winter Wonderland

Helping out fellow 4-wheelers because good semaritans WE ARE

Last edited by MrBash; 01-25-10, 12:22 AM.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Stuck

Stuck

Stuck - The snow was soo slippery we had no traction at this point....

Getting stuck was fun and winching out was funner and good practice might I add . Now on to the main course.

On the menu today we have sautted Tilapia

Fried Tilapia

French Fries and Chicken Wings marinated with (ssshhhhh, it's a secret)

Notcie the trash bag conveniently located near the grill because we keep the trail cleaner than we found it (brought up right by MJR )

The 12,500lbs winch witht he 6.5hp motor that proved to be worthy by pulling two jeeps at a time trough deep snow several times

And as always, a little backgammon never hurt nobody, except my apponents...hahahahaha...bring it on

Comment

hey i think i saw you guys tonight when we were airing back up. we came down off of pilot. great day out there!
      KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

oh and by the way, remember my friend with the yellow H1 Hummer.

He just purchased a 1999 Jeep Wrangler equipped with a 5.5" RE Long Arm Lift, 4.88's front and rear, ARB lockers front and rear, superior alloy axle shafts front and rear, and a 4.1 transfer case.

Found it on craigslist for him yesterday. The owner met us this morning at 138 exit. After an 80mph test drive, a quick low gear test, I fell in love with it. Thye sealed the deal a few hours later.

That's what happens when you follow Jeeps.
        Welcome to the game Mike (aka Mgo)

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy162 View Post
          hey i think i saw you guys tonight when we were airing back up. we came down off of pilot. great day out there!
          We saw ya. Sure was a great day. How was Pilot Rock? Deep Snow? You're trucks looked pretty well equipped.

Comment

it was my first ever snow run so i dont have much to compair it to but pilot is tore up from the heavy rains and theres quite a bit of snow too. our CB's were full of "opps, get the strap" lol

the red old 4runner was open/open but he was really good with that machine and kept up great.

the dirt road has a few boulders in the way too. we winched one over the side with a snatch block but the big one is still there. its impasable for anything wider then a UTV. we had to take the off shoots to get around it.

lots of jeeps out on the trail today. everyone was out having fun!
            KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

You guys really know how wheel in style--I'm inspired!
              holes = cowbell

Comment

Great meal Bash! I thought I was way cool Saturday heating up a can of beef stew on the trail.... very lame compared to your feast!!

Great photos of your run by the way.
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Chef Shant,

One of these days, I fully expect to see you towing a trailer with a full blown commercial stove and grill on it! :wink:

Looks like you had another outstanding run. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Christian
                  "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                    Great meal Bash! I thought I was way cool Saturday heating up a can of beef stew on the trail.... very lame compared to your feast!!

Great photos of your run by the way.
                    MmMMmMmmm....sounds good right about now

Comment

Originally posted by headhunter View Post
                      One of these days, I fully expect to see you towing a trailer with a full blown commercial stove and grill on it! :wink:
                      You can count on it Christian!!

First I'll need 4.88 gears and 35's....working on it diligently.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBash View Post
                        You can count on it Christian!!

First I'll need 4.88 gears and 35's....working on it diligently.
                        I've got that in my plans for the future too!

Maybe not a full blown commercial setup, but something nice on an M-416 style trailer.

Christian
                        "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Trust me, Shant is a killer cook that can whip up some really good chow on the trail

Comment

I'll 2nd what Art says. Hey Shant looks like fun gettin stuck. Next time lemme know and I'll bring the jk out for some snow play.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                              Trust me, Shant is a killer cook that can whip up some really good chow on the trail
                              Thanks Art

Comment

Working...
                              X