Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Maumee Mine & The Rodman Mts.

Well we had a nice turnout for such a short notice!

Skittles - Mary and her friend Dixie
    Nipple twister - John
    chris142 - Chris
    Troyboy162 - Troy
    My wife LeAnne & I

After meeting up at the Valero Station and airing down at the end of the pavement, our first stop was in the area of the Maumee Mine. We entered the area on a trail that comes off Camp Rock Road's north-south leg. Not the trail that comes off Camp Rock leg after the 90 degree turn heading to I-40. As we climbed in elevation we encountered snow. About 4" or so.

Before going to the mine, we checked out an old delivery truck and school bus off of a side road to the mine:

The bus must be very old because it was built mostly of wood framing:

Here's the mine entrance covered in snow!

From Maumee Mine we headed to Camp Rock Rd. and N/W to Trail #8401 the Gasline Rd. We stopped for lunch in a small valley between two hills that protected us from the cold wind. I had a "Mini Bash" lunch consisting of heating up a can of beef stew. It was excellent!

Next we explored all the roads in the area of #8405. I thought this looked very promising for mines. We never found any shafts, but a lot of mining claim markers. Also, there had been quite a bit of exploration in the area. It appears that dozers were used to scrape the surface all over the area. I'm not sure what they were looking for. Limestone maybe??

In this photo, you can see the scraping in the foreground and up the side of the hill behind the Jeeps:

We ran across this old car probably European dating from the 1960's. Above the grill some of the letter were missing off the name: SIN?C??? Could it be Sinclair? Anyone have a clue? I googled it with no luck.

From this area we went to Kane Springs and then returned to Camp Rock D. Via Troy Rd.

The weather was cold all day but the sky was so blue. The snow capped desert mountains made the trip beautiful:

Thanks everyone for coming, my wife & I had a great time.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Hey Mr Rodgers. Looks like we missed a great run. Just to short of notice. Could not get pops to go. His excuse blah blah blah.
    Next time.

Comment

Great pics, Roger!

I wound up going hiking behind the house.

I need to get my Jeep more "winter friendly" before taking it out in the snow. Things like fixing the zippers on the soft top and replacing the heater ducting to keep the windows from fogging up need to be done.

Thanks for sharing your snow adventure.

Christian
      "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Rodger the old car a Simca maybe? Nice pics looks like a
        very nice and cold snowy adventure

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          Rodger the old car a Simca maybe? Nice pics looks like a
          very nice and cold snowy adventure

That's it!! Here's what I found: “The Simca Aronde was a family car manufactured by the French automaker Simca from 1951 to 1963."

Thanks Art!
          MJR moderator
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

I wonder exactly how many of those cars are in the USA today? And why did someone choose that over a more common american car?

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Hey Roger looks like a cool run out there in the snow. I wish I could get away on weekends, but have had them commited for awhile.

I remember those old Simca's, I don't think they were all that reliable as I recall.

mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Any snow along Troy Road?

I really like that trail for some reason.

Comment

thanks for letting me tag along! i had a great time meeting you all and seeing all the great stuff out there. ill have to take you guys through the big mines in calico some day if you havnt already seen them
                  KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Originally posted by karstic View Post
                    Any snow along Troy Road?

I really like that trail for some reason.
                    There was a little snow along the canyon walls at the upper end but none down on the trail itself.

I really like the trail also, it's such a neat canyon
                    MJR moderator
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger,

Looks like a fun exploring adventure. The Maumee is interesting without snow, there are a couple of verticle shafts, one on the top of the hill and a wood lined one below. The main adit goes in a long ways but is partially caved a 100 feet in, then opens up again. When I went there with last Dave there was a lot to explore in that area.

Thanks for the pictures and report.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch,

LeAnne and a few others went in as far as the verticle shaft. They saw daylight through it. See you tomorrow?

Roger
                        MJR moderator
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

Beautiful shots Roger. I need to get the Heep done.
                          Check out .

Comment

Simca also built millitary vehicles for France...they all had extra large rear view mirrors on them, so the French could keep a close eye on the enemy.
                            :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

LOL! and they came with a finely pressed white linen kerchief in the glove box... just in case a war broke out.

looks like a nice trip you guys!
                              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Working...
                              X