Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Utilizing Our Recovery Skills.

So about 3:00 PM this afternoon I'm shutting down my computer to go home. I was leaving a little early. I just start to walk out of my office and my phone rang. I saw it was Mitch so I answered it.

He was callling to let me know that Desert Dog's Jeep was stuck in a wash in the area of S/W Victorville. He let me know that AVJeepfreek was on his way to help Scott and was hoping I could assist.

Sometimes things just work out. I normally wear slacks, shiney shoes and a tie to work, but because of the weather the last two days I wore jeans and boots.

I headed over to the loction and see that Desert Dog's Jeep is really stuck. He was in a wash with the water flowing up to the top of his hood. Earlier it was actually flowing over his hood.

Well we tried two or three different things but the TJ wouldn't budge. After about two hours and alsost dark we finallly got the Jeep free. We ended up crossing the wash with AVjeepfreek's jeep in a safe location and winched up the front end of the Jeep. and pulled it out of there.

Thinking there may be water in the engine, Scott didn't want to start his engine. We used my Titan in four wheel drive low range with the locker on and towed him back across the wash, up a very steep road, and back to his house about a mile away.

Scott was wading in the wash in knee deep water and was cold & wet. We all got pretty wet but it was worth it to help a brother out.

I don't think anyone had the time or thought about taking photos.

We all worked together as a team and a scary situation turned out with a happy ending.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Come on Roger,

I wasn't even there and I got a picture!!!!LMAO Sorry I couldn't make it, but I knew who to call.

Scott, Glad it turned out (SOGGY) but OK.

Mitch

Last edited by Mitch; 01-21-10, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Doesn't look like something you'd expect to be so deep. Way to go guys! Desert Dog . . . hope your Jeep is okay once it dries out a bit. Keep us posted.
      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I could see how that would happen. I've seen wet seasons cut channels 10' deep or more, several feet wide, but only a few inches wide at the surface.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

another awesome recovery guys ,good job .......

Comment

Nice work guys.
            Scott, how's the Jeep?
            Check out .

Comment

Good job guys.Scott hope everything turns out ok with the Jeep.
              Dennis and Tammy
              Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Wow! That doesn't look as deep as it is.
                I hope your jeep is ok after drying out.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I'm glad everything worked out well, THIS TIME.
                  This is the very reason NO ONE should EVER go out bythemownselfs.
                  So where is Mitch taking you two for that LARGE dinner he owes?
                  Respectfully,
                  LG
                  Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Sorry I could not be there to help out Scott. Glad it's out & hope you don't have any serious damage.
                    Build it right the first time.

Comment

to the rescue

Well, I'm happy to say that I got my one really stupid act out of the way early this year!:bonk:
                      It's all down hill from here.
                      My daughter (visiting from Flagstaff) and I were taking her dog out for a jaunt in the desert. When he was finished I asked her if she wanted to tool around a bit. This is terrain I have wheeled in many times. But oh! How the rain does change things...
                      The exit to that crossing had been cut away by the rushing water and when I entered It was like hitting a wall. It was all over.
                      And niether one of us had our phone with us.:hide:
                      So we walked back home and called Josh, Snydercj (who was already at work)and Scott, AVJeepfreek. Scott showed up about an hour later and the Jeep seemed to have sunk in even more. Roger arrived shortly after.
                      After swimming in mud for a couple of hours we finally freed it from the waters grasp and got her home. I opened the hood to see a mud covered engine. I will get on it tomorrow after the rain is gone and let you all know how she's doing.
                      Right now I'm gonna get the shop vac and remove the 5" of water from my carpet.
                      Thanks a bunch to Scott & Roger for being there when I needed you. And to Mitch for making some calls and Josh who would've been there if he could.
                      And Lumpy you are very right. I have preached the same thing and now I have a size 11, soaking wet hiking boot in my mouth.
                      MJR is awesome!

Scott

Comment

Glad it turned out ok.

Comment

Glad it worked out.

Storms do some amazing things to the landscape!

I'll have to remember never to cross water that looks shallow like that without poking it with a stick to see how deep it really is. Glad there was a photo to show how that was amazingly deceiving!

Christian
                          "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Wow Scott, what a surprise huh!
                            I was out roaming the desert yesterday and had a flash flood come through the canyon we were going up - but not quite THAT deep.

mk[/COLOR]

BTW there was a road through here.

Comment

Wow! Good job getting him out, guys.

Hope everything's good with the Jeep once it dries out.
                              "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Working...
                              X