Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by viter View Post
    . made our way back out to the hwy on a different portion of the trail with some steep, slippery, and bumpy downhills in a few places that we had to work through with our lights on as the sun went down.
    That sounds like the trail are you sure you wern't on the bypass in the begining? Even if you were, going through the snow can get tough even on flat ground. I always wanted to try that sushi place out.

Comment

That sushi place is pretty good.

Nice pics.
      "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

.... By about 5pm we encountered a huge pine tree that fell across the road and had to turn around after deciding that trying to saw it down (we had a chain saw)and move off the trail would take too long and it was getting colder..
        Very good decision, as the public is prohibited from using a chain saw in the SBNF without a permit
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY
        You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

thanks to everyone who replied to my questions!
          this was really fun snow trip!!!
          we didn't actually drive on trails in Big Bear but instead started out by climbing Cleghorn Ridge trail from fwy 15 up the mountain - that one ended up locked at higher elevation before we reached any undriveably deep snow but was still fun getting to the end with slushy mud and snow on some rutted uphill sections. Then we proceeded on hwy 138 to Silverwood lake area with a plan to take pilot rock trail to lake Arrowhead. that was the highlight of the day - trail started with some creek crossings and mud and then snow started to grow as we kept climbing. Up at the top of the ridge we encountered fresh snow than nobody has driven through yet - aired down to 10-15 psi, put on chains and with all lockers locked we proceeded to break through the snow and keep going forward - landcruiser with both lockers and chains on all 4 was the breakthrough vehicle of choice and I followed behind in my taco with chains only on the rear. Majority of the trail with fresh snow was about 1.5 foot deep with some 2-3ft drifts in a few places. Landcruiser had no problems. By about 5pm we encountered a huge pine tree that fell across the road and had to turn around after deciding that trying to saw it down (we had a chain saw)and move off the trail would take too long and it was getting colder. made our way back out to the hwy on a different portion of the trail with some steep, slippery, and bumpy downhills in a few places that we had to work through with our lights on as the sun went down. Once on the highway we hit up a korean bbq / sushi restaurant in the middle of nowhere by hwy 138 - after finishing off a family meal for 4, sushi roll, and some big sapporo's it was time to drive home. Tired, but happy and high on Monster energy rush we made the 2.5 hour trip back home without any particular misadventures.

some of my friend's pics are here if you guys want to see - http://www.snapixel.com/set/RIDEitINTOtheGROUND/1647
          unfortunately his camera died just as we reached pristine snow at the top of the ridge, but my other friend might have some pics of that and I'll post them later if I can.
          hey we saw you guys up at the top of pilot! fun day up there!
          KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
            the public is prohibited from using a chain saw in the SBNF without a permit

Yea - no good deed goes unpunished...
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

troyboy162, you have any pictures from your trip?
              it sure looked like you guys were having fun with that uphill section, slide into a tree and winching out of a tree!!!

Comment

troyboy162, you have any pictures from your trip?
                it sure looked like you guys were having fun with that uphill section, slide into a tree and winching out of a tree!!!
                heres some my friend took.

these are the rocks we moved. the large one on the right is still there and so the trail is dangerous for anything but narrow vehicals

Our lunch spot

Comment

nice pics, I went a week later to Big Bear...

some material to share...

http://picasaweb.google.com/rmiranda...ar?feat=email#

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy162 View Post
                    these are the rocks we moved. the large one on the right is still there and so the trail is dangerous for anything but narrow vehicals
                    It's gone

LOST Jeeps will be up there on the 6th doing more maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by karstic View Post
                      It's gone

LOST Jeeps will be up there on the 6th doing more maintenance.

awesome! how did you guys get it out? i think our warn was a 9k model. it couldn't move the last big rock, but we only had one snatch block and were using it to direct the rocks over the edge instead of for mechanical advantage

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy162 View Post
                        awesome! how did you guys get it out? i think our warn was a 9k model. it couldn't move the last big rock, but we only had one snatch block and were using it to direct the rocks over the edge instead of for mechanical advantage
                        With a winch, manpower, rock bars and shovels.

Comment

Working...
                        X