Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Romping Through the Rodman's

My wife LeAnne and I were joined by Skittles (Mary) and Headhunter (Christian) for a relaxing run through the Rodman Mtn's and surrounding area.

As is normally the case we met at the Velaro Station in Downtown Lucerne Valley.

We headed out Camp Rock Rd, aired down at the end of the pavement and made our first stop at Grandview mine.

Here's the guzzler on the way -

I tried to take a photo of some stalagtites forming on the ceiling in the mine:

From Grandview we headed to the Camp Rock mine and checked out the windmill, water tanks, and the other remnents of old structures in the area:

It's amazing how many old train cars there are scattered around the desert. Here's a Santa Fe box car at Camp Rock Mine:

Here's a "modern" ore hopper. I say modern because it's mostly metal. LeAnne shoveled a bucket of dirt from under it to take home. She's going to "pan" it looking for color:

Next stop is the little rock cabin I'm so fond of. May it never be vandalized:

Here's my first attempt at using the video on my camera:

Next stop was Kane Springs. We stopped at the arrastra and then checked out the spring.

Close up of the water flowinf into the trough:

Overview of the Spring:

From Kane Spring we headed down the gas line road towards Camp Rock Rd. There's some very steep hills to go up and down. This photo doesn't really depict how steep it is. That's Mary followed by Christian:

Here's a few of the "locals" checking us out as we drove by. There's quite a history of cattle ranching in the Mojave Desert. It's all but gone now:

We got back to the pavement on Camp Rock Rd. aired back up, and said our Good byes:

All in all it was a great day. We ran at a very relaxed pace and had a great time.

We discovered a unique area that I have never explored and we plan on going back and checking it out in the near future.

Thanks LeAnne, Mary & Christian for a super day.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Looks like Y'all had a nice time Roger, what happened to the mine king? He is generally in attendance and kinda protective of his backyard

Comment

Would like to get out and do some exploring soon...as soon as my Jeep is back together...
      holes = cowbell

Comment

Roger,

Nice pictures. It looks like a peaceful day in the desert. There are not any adits (tunnels) at the Grand View Mine. Where were you. If you went north west from the Grand View and up the steep 4x4 trail then you were at the Ord Belt Mine. Looks like a nice day.

Christian,

How did the Howell fuel injection work out for you? I bet is is a huge improvement over the old carb thing. No stalling ever.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch,

Doh! I don't know why I said Grand view! I knew we were at Ord Belt Mine. Old age creepin' in I guess....
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

It was an outstanding day!

Roger, thanks for leading us. I'm barely starting to get a feel for understanding where I am as I drive around that part of the desert.

It was the first day driving around off-road with my GPS mounted for reference and it was interesting to see that most of the things we saw were listed on the map.

Mitch, the Howell fuel injection worked great as did the new Hummer H1 steering box! It was really nice to have no more stalling at inopportune moments.

An added benefit with the Howell fuel injection was a nice increase in mileage. I used to get 14 miles per gallon on the highway and 9 miles per gallon off-road. Now I'm getting over 14 miles per gallon off-road and over 19 miles per gallon on the highway.

Off-road the increased mileage gives me an increased range of 75 miles from 135 miles to 210 miles. On the highway it takes me from a range of 210 miles to 285 miles. An extra 75 miles without having to pull out the gas can or finding a gas station is nice!

I finally got a new battery for my camera and took some pics. I need to get a photobucket account set up, so that I can post them. I'm not sure how well any of them came out yet, but will posts any that are decent when I get that all sorted out.

Thanks Mary, LeAnne and Roger for making it such a wonderful day!

Christian
            "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Looks like you all had a great time, sorry we missed it!

Scott
              "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Roger,thanks for the pic's and report.Sorry I missed out,but I did get my axles and U-joints done so I'm ready for next time.
                Dennis and Tammy
                Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Looks like fun Roger. I'm sure missing the fun runs.

Dennis, are those the new axles?
                  Check out .

Comment

Chuck,I had to fix the CJ5,new U-joints,axle joints, and wheel bearings.Was going to post up on your build and say Thank You for the parts cause I used the spare shafts and bearings to get it on the road.The other axles are going on my CJ7 as soon as I get my lift.
                    Dennis and Tammy
                    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Really nice report Roger. Unfortunately, Mr. Green hasn't driven off pavement since our trip to DV. Thanks for posting up a great run for poor saps like me to enjoy!
                      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

Roger, There IS a tunnel at the Grand View....it is west of the main shaft, down the hill.....in fact it leads to the main shaft. I'll show it to you and Mitch when we go out there next time.......
                        :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Dave,

As in, youv'e been in it? I saw a saw tunnel that was caved not accessable. You holding out on me?

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by flatpoint View Post
                            Roger, There IS a tunnel at the Grand View....it is west of the main shaft, down the hill.....in fact it leads to the main shaft. I'll show it to you and Mitch when we go out there next time.......
                            I looked part way down the hill from the two shafts we saw at Grand View, but didn't see an adit. The shafts looked like they were connected by an adit and that it continued to where you say it is, but I didn't find it. This is where climbing equipment enters the picture.

Christian
                            "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

I finally got the PhotoBucket thing figured out.

I put the slide show here:

http://s916.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow

Here are some of the shots:

Christian

Comment

Working...
                              X