Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Mines of the Ord Mountains

After 2 calls to do a small group run to see some mines today, I met Josh and Dinesh (LEADFOOT) in his Cherokee and Mike (Deepwater) in his yellow Rubicon in Hesperia. We headed to Lucerne and gassed up at the regular place and then headed north on Hwy 247 for the fun stuff!

We aired down as we hit the dirt and then headed to the Jim Hill Mine first. This has a short 60 foot tunnel at the end of a neat narrow canyon. A nice climb and view.

Next we headed north a couple of miles and went to the Double AA Mines 1 & 2. We checked out the #1 lower mine and walked the split tunnel 235' and 60'. This area has stayed very clean since we worked on it last summer and made the camp site.

Next we drove the narrow trail up to the #2 upper mine. This mine goes in about 250' and angles downward from the start at about 20 degrees. Nice clean tunnel.

Then we again headed north a couple more miles to the Gold Belt Mine. I stayed out this time and let the others climb down the 10 foot enterance. This mine goes back at least 800' at the lower level, but Mike and Josh stopped short of the end and did not belly crawl over a small cave-in at the half way point. This mine has at least 3 levels and was a large gold producer once upon a time. The huge concrete mill foundations easily could have supported a 15-20 stamp mill! A very impressive site. After relaxing in the sun and enjoying the peace and quiet for a bit we continued on for more.

We headed north on Hwy 247 to OM6440 (SV183) and headed east 15 miles or so pointing out other site on the way to Camp Rock Road. Off Camp Rock Road we headed to the Ord Belt Mine. This is in a secluded deep canyon and has a couple of 4X4 climbs to get to the mines. First we explored the lower tunnel that goes in 436'. We found interesting minerials and things in the rock as we hiked to the back. We could see where the ore cart tracks were laid all the way to the end. The most interesting thing to me was the forming of baby Stalagmites on the ceiling of the tunnel! At one spot there were some water drops on the ceiling and at the tips of calcium deposits. Some were an inch long and absolutely a living developing natural feature. Very rare and quite interesting. I turned around at the 350' mark and the others went to the end.

Next we had one more 4x4 climb and stopped at the upper tunnel. This tunnel goes in over 250' but is different in that it has several twists and turns in it. We explored to the end and made a couple of videos while inside. There are a couple of other smaller tunnels in the area but we decided to call it a day and save some for next time!

Another awesome sunset on the way home.

Thanks you Mike, Josh and Dinesh for the great company and the interest in this place. It was so nice with a small group of easy going guys. After yesterdays 16 vehicle cluster at Cakewalk this was a much needed relief.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 01-10-10, 10:10 PM.

Awesome day... with great friends, I took almost 400 hi res pics and almost another 100 on my point and shoot... as soon as I can ill add to the awesome pics Mitch posted.. couldn't of asked for better weather, and even though my rear locker was being a pain in the arse.. it still made for one of the best days I have had jeepin.... thanks Mitch... Dinesh and I loved your great commentary over the cb....
    [COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
    PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

Thanks Mitch for a great tour. We got a lot of tunnel time in and all were extremely interesting. And as a bonus it was a gorgeous desert day.

Mike
      Attached Files
      "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Good thing that Josh didn't turn around inside the mine.....The Wolfman was following him the whole time!

Comment

That pic it too Coool!!!! Perhaps that pic could be used elsewhere?
          :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Originally posted by flatpoint View Post
            That pic it too Coool!!!! Perhaps that pic could be used elsewhere?
            [COLOR="Blue"]Maybe on a fright night poster.[/COLOR]

Comment

Maybe post it on a "singles" website?
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Deepwater View Post
                Thanks Mitch for a great tour. We got a lot of tunnel time in and all were extremely interesting. And as a bonus it was a gorgeous desert day.

Mike
                i love that area you have on the right. great little camping spot. we spent the night one time and the wind howeled straight down the face of the mountain and the area wasnt sheltered like i would have figured... snowed the next morning too lol.

keep up the great reports!
                Last edited by troyboy162; 01-14-10, 12:09 AM.
                KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

ok.. i have been busy with work.. and what not.. so.. here is a link to my crappybucket... for some of the pics I took.. about 350ish.. i ended up with almost 500 but sh*t canned about 150... and I will weed out some more later..

photobucket kills the quailty of these pics..
                  Mike or Mitch if you want any high quailty pics send me a link to the ones you want and Ill email them to you..

use password: leadfoot
                  to access the album...

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y15...rdmtjan102010/

couple cool jeep pics.. from the trip...

[COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
                  PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

Working...
                  X