Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Looking for a good mine exploring area.

Where is there a good mine exploring area in the Socal area?

Something mild and kid friendly. Maybe where we can shoot some guns as well.

I'm in Chino, so maybe something 1-2hrs away at most.

pm Mitch/ great88 he is the king of mine exploration

Comment

And just a for information, if you go to Johnson Valley OHV, you can only shoot a shot gun.
      Rich

Comment

Scott,

I had 2 calls friday to set up a mine exploring trip. So went out today and spent 6 hours exploring and walking thru old mines in the Ords. I'll talk to you and set up another trip that is good with the kids. As far as shooting goes, Rich is correct about shooting on BLM Land. Luckily for me I have written permission to shoot on a 80 acre piece of Privately owned land near Camp Rock Road.

Mitch

Comment

Ok sounds good. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
            Scott,

I had 2 calls friday to set up a mine exploring trip. So went out today and spent 6 hours exploring and walking thru old mines in the Ords. I'll talk to you and set up another trip that is good with the kids. As far as shooting goes, Rich is correct about shooting on BLM Land. Luckily for me I have written permission to shoot on a 80 acre piece of Privately owned land near Camp Rock Road.

Mitch
            If my jeep is ready, keep me in mind. If I can go, I will.

Just need to install rear shocks (on fedex truck) and fix my CB. Not working so good. I just grounded the antenna, and it didn't help.

Comment

Dale Mining District

We spent the day today in the Dale Mining District in the Pinto Mountains east of 29 Palms south of Hwy 62. LOTS of mines to explore, one day is clearly not enough and by the looks of some of the areas shooting is ok.....we ended up taking Gold Crown road thru into Joshua Tree and on to Interstate 10 for the return trip. Would highly recommend if anyone wanted to take a full day loop run.......
              John & Kristi

Comment

Update .....

...try this one.....http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=aeb21ef0.pbw

I suck at this...
                John & Kristi

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Pretty cool NT. This was my next section for exploring. I found at least a half dozen mine sites with structures on them.

Hopefully I can get out there this week.

MK[/COLOR]

Comment

Check out Calico. The mines there will keep you busy for days.

Comment

Ron: I will call before the next one to see what your schedule is.

John: Great area in Twentynine Palms/Joshua Tree. Another spot that is on my list. Dozens of mines out there. When I go out there this year I'm going to stay in JT overnight so I can get 2 days of exploring.

Scott: PM sent and received yours.

Mitch

Comment

Lots of holes to crawl in to......

......but I didn't get to go in any on this trip, was kinda last minute and it was an "exploritory" (sp?) run anyway knowing we would be short on daylight having to drive out from the OC just for the day. Haven't been thru 29 Palms east of Hwy 247 in more then 20 yrs, a lot more there then I remember. Kris and I even thought about getting a room there some time and venture out from there for a few days.
                        If in ya get the urge to wonder out there let us know, would love the company and sharing the terra firma.....a lot of mines up high on the mountain with some really cool shelf roads, I know how much you love those.......
                        Anyway, my two cents worth, gonna be heading out to Anza Borrego this Fri afternoon for a three day weekend so ifin ya find yourself out that way.........will be monitoring C.B. channel 4 and 2 meter on the ham bands....Staying at Borrego Springs Resort on Tilting T Drive.....
                        John & Kristi

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                          Ron: I will call before the next one to see what your schedule is.

John: Great area in Twentynine Palms/Joshua Tree. Another spot that is on my list. Dozens of mines out there. When I go out there this year I'm going to stay in JT overnight so I can get 2 days of exploring.

Scott: PM sent and received yours.

Mitch
                          Sounds good. Shocks should be here by the 14th. As for CB, not sure what the issue is.

Comment

Originally posted by smashcoast View Post
                            Where is there a good mine exploring area in the Socal area?

Something mild and kid friendly. Maybe where we can shoot some guns as well.

I'm in Chino, so maybe something 1-2hrs away at most.
                            if you have to travel up the 15 id continue on to calico for a family type trip. the ghost town is touristy but would be neet for a kid to see. out back of the ghost town is more tunnles then you can shake a fist at. they range from mild to wild so if you go, hold on to young kids hands and keep the dog leased.

closest to you is big horn but i dont know if the mountain road is open and theres no shooting there.
                            KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Working...
                            X