Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Fry Mountain Mines / Courgar Buttes

Well we rounded up some of the regulars who didn't over do it last night to go on a little exploring trip this New Years morning. We met at the Lucerne Valero as normal and headed out to Camp Rock Road to air down and hit the trails. We had Scott (avjeepfreek), Dave and friend Courtney (flatpoint), Jeff and Shirley (scaffoldman), Jeff's dad "LC" and two girls, Roger and LeAnne, Joe and a friend (sorry forgot your name) (Chilidipper), and Mitch (great88).

First stop was to Anderson Dry Lake to try and find Randy and Carmen (mybrokenjeep). On the way we bumped into Mary and a friend (Skittles), who were heading off in a different direction after airing down. I talked to Randy and Carmen who said they would catch up with us. This proved to be cat and mouse for the rest of the day.

We headed to the "Cold Fear" Mine that is up a neat winding sand wash. There are several fun little extra credit lines along the 2 mile trail. There are a couple of short mine tunnels and a couple of verticle shafts in the area. The can dumps date this spot prior to the turn of the century with cans that have both soldered bottoms as well as sides. Lots to see at this spot while we still can.

This faintly reads: Cold Fear Mine / Danger with cross bones on it!

Next we headed over to another neat pair of mines in the Fry Mountain area. These mines both have extensive timber supports and alot of rock debris on the floor which says danger! So we got out the lights and headed in. Several hundred feet of exploring at this spot.

Next we kept playing CB tag with Randy and Carmen so we cruised over to where they we camped with friends at Cougar Buttes. We finally met up with them and after watching the croud at Chicken Rock, we ran Box Canyon with Randy and Carmen minus Jeff and Shirley and his dad who headed back to Means Dry Lake where they were camped. We had fun playing on the couple of tippy spot and just enjoyed the end of an awesome day in the desert.

Chicken Rock Crowd

Box Canyon

It was dark when we left the camp spot that Randy and Carmen were staying at. It was an awesome day with great friends. I special note, Courtney who just turned 19 drove with Dave today. So to stir it up a little I asked Dave when he was going to let her drive his Rubicon. He said go for it, and Courtney drove the last half of the day in the Rubicon. Courtney had never driven a Jeep and had only been off road a few times. She did fantastic!!!! Courtney didn't blink at running up Chicken Rock or anything at Box Canyon. She drove nice and slow with confidence and even hit the locker switch at the right spot before getting stopped. Very impressive.

We had to look at this on the way home! Did I ever say how much I love the desert?

Airtime in the dark. Love the long day stuff.

Thanks everyone!!!!! another great day.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 01-01-10, 10:48 PM.

GREAT TIME TODAY!!!!!! Let it be known to all that Courtney is a Jeep Goddess!!! I have never seen someone catch on so fast! She is the Jeep! Thanks all of you for one of the best times out! I can't think of a better group of people to hang out with than all of you.
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Great Day!

LeAnne & I had a great time. What a way to start the new year!

I only took a few photos:

Here's our fearless leader starting into the 'S' Curve in Box Canyon - on the way out:

Here's another desert sunset photo:

Thanks everyone for the great day!
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

X2, Had a great time today! Wish Lesa could have joined us.

Mitch, you didn't mention Joe's "Sea Urchin" on the side of his tire!

Can't wait till the next one!

Scott
        "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Wow,

Roger I didn't know that anyone took my picture, too funny. Thats what happens when you are in the front of the pack.

Scott: I never got a picture of that. Joe had a gash in the sidewall of his front drivers 37 inch tire. Dave suggested trying to patch it instead of changing it. So 16 tire plugs later it was holding air. No razorblade to trim it, so for the rest of the day it looked like he had a large sea urchin stuck to the side of his tire. Rather funny, but it held the rest of the day. What a fun day!

Mitch

Last edited by Mitch; 01-02-10, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Nice pictures guys. Looks like great day.

Roger, the CJ is looking nice. I haven't seen it since you raised it.
            Check out .

Comment

Ahhhhhh.......

.....you lucky bastards having that at your back door! Nice report....thanks for sharing....
              John & Kristi

Comment

Chuck - Thanks, it's the "po-boy lift, but it will have to due for a while! Now if can just muster up the courage to swap out the Pitman arm.

John - Real estate prices have never been lower. I friend of mine just bought a 4 bed home on 1.5 acres for $29,000.00....

Just letting you know in case you want to be a lucky bastard too!
                Last edited by Roger; 01-02-10, 07:48 PM.
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Those are some great photos. I especially like the sunset!
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Here are a couple from Daves camera. He looks so happy to have Courtney as a stunt driver.

Comment

Great pics!

Comment

Mitch,Great report and photos.Great to have weather this nice to go play in.

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                        Chuck - Thanks, it's the "po-boy lift, but it will have to due for a while! Now if can just muster up the courage to swap out the Pitman arm.
                        Roger,I'm sure we can find a puller and get that arm changed for ya,let me know.
                        Dennis and Tammy
                        Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Thanks Roger.......

.....don't let Kris read this, she would move there in a heartbeat. Only real hurdle getting us relocated to the "desert" is my commute to work.........:thumbs_do
                          John & Kristi

Comment

Originally posted by Nipple Twister View Post
                            .....don't let Kris read this, she would move there in a heartbeat. Only real hurdle getting us relocated to the "desert" is my commute to work.........:thumbs_do
                            Depends on where you commute to. It's not that bad.

Comment

Sorry I missed this one... But I was in a COMA New Years Day.
                              Finally feelin better today.
                              Looks like a great time.
                              As for commuting.
                              Been drivin from VV to Irvine for 22 years... IT SUCKS! But that's just one mans opinion.
                              The house next to me just got auctioned off. 3 bedroom on a half acre. Starting bid was $1000.00. Don't know what it went for yet.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X